Buy 2nd cam with extra battery, will it freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
I was aware that rechargeables tend to freeze if they are not used for too long.
When a camera "used only once during the past 6 months", how do I make sure
the original & extra battery are in workable condition? :confused:

TIA

My freezing means the battery dry and unusable due to long time idleness.

Test yrself loh...

Sadly unless there's no way to tell unless you use it. Batteries usually show irregular behaviour during normal use. But if you wanna use yr camera once in six months might as well just rent.

i guess you're refering to memory effect? if the batt is fully drained before sitting on it's butt for the past 6mths it should't be any problem but if it's fully charged it should be a goner... ;) anyway litium ions has little memory effect though

dRebelXT said:
My freezing means the battery dry and unusable due to long time idleness.

guojielun said:
i guess you're refering to memory effect? if the batt is fully drained before sitting on it's butt for the past 6mths it should't be any problem but if it's fully charged it should be a goner... ;) anyway litium ions has little memory effect though
Confused now.
Do I store battery fully charged or fully drained if I anticipate not using it for few months? :confused:

always store it fully DRAINED. never store it charged. never never :nono:

dRebelXT said:
Confused now.
Do I store battery fully charged or fully drained if I anticipate not using it for few months? :confused:

guojielun said:
Thank you. Understood.
:)

guojielun said:
Where did you get this information from?
Any references?

Some CSers misunderstood me I guess. I use my cameras oftenly and intended to
purchase a 2nd hand system which was "used only once during the past 6 months".

dRebelXT said:
Some CSers misunderstood me I guess. I use my cameras oftenly and intended to
purchase a 2nd hand system which was "used only once during the past 6 months".
this will depend how the owner store the battery...n how they take care of it...

www.daddyhobby.com playing serious nitro/batt RC is also one of my other hobbies... do a search... oh btw the new batts i got from sterintek it's manual says that too... of cos each has their own method or theory this is just mine :bsmilie:

thomas_lkt said:
Where did you get this information from?
Any references?

guojielun said:
this is called self-discharge not memory effect.

"Memory effect" is the state where the battery refuses to hold the specific amount of charge it was designed for.

The common effect which we see: Battery being charged full but depletes rapid beyond it's normal capacity is actually termed "voltage depression".

either way, depression or memory, it does not describe the batteries in storage and losing it's charge :D

well done... i support your statement.:thumbsup: it seems i've used the wrong term... apologiees:embrass:

yanyewkay said:
this is called self-discharge not memory effect.

"Memory effect" is the state where the battery refuses to hold the specific amount of charge it was designed for.

The common effect which we see: Battery being charged full but depletes rapid beyond it's normal capacity is actually termed "voltage depression".

either way, depression or memory, it does not describe the batteries in storage and losing it's charge :D

Status
Not open for further replies.