Butterfly's Brunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyll

Jan 23, 2009
5485867445_2268bd384d_z.jpg

Canon EOS 450D and 18-55mm kit lens, with f/8 and 1/250, ISO 200 setting.

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Composition of the photograph, whether it was cropped appropriately. Whether PP could have been done, and in which area.

2. What I hope to achieve with the piece of work?

I want the eyes of the butterfly to show a certain kind of stern feeling while it's feasting on the flower, and for its mealtime to be portrayed strongly.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I took this photo when I noticed hostplants and flowers planted beside a basketball court and all the butterflies/moths and bee drawn to them. I wanted to portray how beauty of nature exists so simply in a school and it has been neglected, though I failed to introduce this aspect into the photo.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I had some difficulty with cropping this photo and positioning the butterfly. Bottom left was my final decision. I quite like this picture because of the sharpness but I think it can be further improved in many other perspectives, such as the contrast in colours. I also wondered if some flowers in the background may be non-flattering, but decided to keep it natural, which is a style I like pretty much.

I think its a beautiful pic! Great job. Love the sharpness and colours as well as the use of aperture. Perhaps some vignetting would help to add a more sensual look to the image... Cheers!

It is beautiful. But I keep having this thought in my mind that the butterfly is going to fall off due to the orientation. A bit distracting. Could be just me.

I think its a beautiful pic! Great job. Love the sharpness and colours as well as the use of aperture. Perhaps some vignetting would help to add a more sensual look to the image... Cheers!

Thanks, Neurospark! I shall heed your suggestion and try vignetting on this photo. :)

It is beautiful. But I keep having this thought in my mind that the butterfly is going to fall off due to the orientation. A bit distracting. Could be just me.

Hi zenix84, thanks! Hmmm, I get your point! It so happened that the butterfly was really at such a degree, but I guess rotating this clockwise a little would be good. :)

Hi Phyll, I feel that the dried off flower directly behind the butterfly's eye is distracting viewers from what you wanted them to feel. (i.e. I want the eyes of the butterfly to show a certain kind of stern feeling while it's feasting on the flower, and for its mealtime to be portrayed strongly.)

Hi Phyll, I feel that the dried off flower directly behind the butterfly's eye is distracting viewers from what you wanted them to feel. (i.e. I want the eyes of the butterfly to show a certain kind of stern feeling while it's feasting on the flower, and for its mealtime to be portrayed strongly.)

Wow, the moment you mentioned this, the dried off flower seemed to pop out of the photo way more than before. Thanks, iguanavon! No idea if I'm able to PP it well though...

Wow, the moment you mentioned this, the dried off flower seemed to pop out of the photo way more than before. Thanks, iguanavon! No idea if I'm able to PP it well though...

You're welcome! Hope my suggestions could help you in your world of photography :bsmilie:

I don't have much experience with advanced PP so can't help you there, sorry. :embrass:

Last edited:
Hi Phyll, I agree with iguanavon. When I first saw the photo, I thought the dried flower was the butterfly's head. Shifting down a bit would have helped. :)

You're welcome! Hope my suggestions could help you in your world of photography :bsmilie:

I don't have much experience with advanced PP so can't help you there, sorry. :embrass:

I believe every suggestion will help me improve! :D

And no problem! At least I will keep it in mind for future photographs. :)

Hi Phyll, I agree with iguanavon. When I first saw the photo, I thought the dried flower was the butterfly's head. Shifting down a bit would have helped. :)

Thanks, S L Chai! The dried flower even has two antennae sticking out... Didn't have time to compose for every butterfly I was trying to capture, but I will remember to shift around if possible in case of such obstructions again! :)

Overall, the pic'c not bad. You'll have to watch out for messy backgrounds (eg, the fence & the flowers to the right) & try out taking from angles which will help.

Cheers

Overall, the pic'c not bad. You'll have to watch out for messy backgrounds (eg, the fence & the flowers to the right) & try out taking from angles which will help.

Cheers

Yep, I'll take note of this! Thanks, cmeptb72!

I would've preferred a cleaner background and less distractions, e.g. flowers.
But hey, awesome shot nonetheless.

Nice sharp shot! but i think the messy/clash in the background is cos of the fence seen in the bokeh.. its like the picture is not as natural due to the environment :x Could have been better at a different angle i guess :p

Just my 2 cents. :p

I would've preferred a cleaner background and less distractions, e.g. flowers.
But hey, awesome shot nonetheless.

Yep, it so happened that the host plants and flowering plants were all in one spot against a school fence, so pretty hard to get a cleaner background without poor lighting. Thanks!

Nice sharp shot! but i think the messy/clash in the background is cos of the fence seen in the bokeh.. its like the picture is not as natural due to the environment :x Could have been better at a different angle i guess :p

Just my 2 cents. :p

Thanks! It's just a mini garden within a school compound, hence the fence. Not a nature park or some scenery spot in Singapore.

Last edited:
Thanks! It's just a mini garden within a school compound, hence the fence. Not a nature park or some scenery spot in Singapore.

Wow you're lucky to find such a beautiful butterfly in school!

Wow you're lucky to find such a beautiful butterfly in school!

Not really lucky because several teachers (whom I believe are into macro photog) had planted flowering and host plants to attract these butterflies. :)

i think it's quite a lovely picture. but i think the image will make a stronger impact if it is square-cropped isolating the main subject which is the butterfly and the flower it's on.

colors wise, i think bringing up the saturation a tad of the flowers would make it "pop" just a little bit more, but try not to get too heavy-handed with the sliders.

subtlety is key.

my humble 2 cents, cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.