Butterfly from MacRitchie Nature trail to Sime (Graphic Intensive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonsng

Jan 29, 2003
Central
www.aquaticquotient.com
Exhausting walk :( I must say

Mac02_s.jpg

[1]

Mac03_s.jpg

[2]

Mac04_s.jpg

[3]

Mac05_s.jpg

[4]

Mac06_s.jpg

[5]

Mac07_s.jpg

[6]

Mac08_s.jpg

[7]

Mac09_s.jpg

[8]

Mac10_s.jpg

[9]

Mac11_s.jpg

[10]

Mac12_s.jpg

[11]

Mac13_s.jpg

[12]

Mac14_s.jpg

[13]

Mac15_s.jpg

[14]

Mac16_s.jpg

[15]

Mac17_s.jpg

[16]

Mac18_s.jpg

[17]

Mac19_s.jpg

[18]

Mac20_s.jpg

[19]

Mac21_s.jpg

[20]

Mac22_s.jpg

[21]

Mac24_s.jpg

[22]

I like the pics of 'The Knight', 2nd lot of Malay Viscount pics and Common Caerulean. Nice exposures and composition in those shots.

I feel that your flash used has been too harsh in some of the shots, and colours and details on the butterflies have been washed out.

mr_jason said:
I like the pics of 'The Knight', 2nd lot of Malay Viscount pics and Common Caerulean. Nice exposures and composition in those shots.

I feel that your flash used has been too harsh in some of the shots, and colours and details on the butterflies have been washed out.

yeah, FE was set at +2... i usually under expose the shots and readjust them.. but apparently some had harsh shadows with the direct flashing... anyway, how can I know if the flash setting will causing harsh shadows? is there a rule to follow?

were you the chap who was taking 157 from macritchie bus stop at about 930 or 10am this morning?

saw one chap using 10D with a small bag, if i remember correctly. ;)

sehsuan said:
were you the chap who was taking 157 from macritchie bus stop at about 930 or 10am this morning?

saw one chap using 10D with a small bag, if i remember correctly. ;)

nope :p was there at noon till 3pm, but i did saw someone along the trail with a 180mm sigma len :p should be clown.. cause he looks very familar

Looks like a busy outing for you. :)

Good attempts to ID these forest species. :thumbsup: However there are some which are not as you've ID'ed them.

#1 - #7 are ok.
#8, #9 & #10 are shots of the female Malay Baron.
#11 is a Lesser Dart.
#12 is ok.
#13 is a Fluffy Tit.
#14 - #17 are ok.
#18 is a Purple Duke (Eulaceura osteria kumana).
#19 & #20 are correct.

:sweat:

sehsuan said:
can't be clown - because i know him personally, i can't be stuck trying to identify him and his S2Pro :D

errr.. No, i mean I might have seen him along the trail when I was there ;p

Papilio said:
Looks like a busy outing for you. :)

Good attempts to ID these forest species. :thumbsup: However there are some which are not as you've ID'ed them.

#1 - #7 are ok.
#8, #9 & #10 are shots of the female Malay Baron.
#11 is a Lesser Dart.
#12 is ok.
#13 is a Fluffy Tit.
#14 - #17 are ok.
#18 is a Purple Duke (Eulaceura osteria kumana).
#19 & #20 are correct.

:sweat:

geezzz thanks for the help.... spend quite a while to compare pics and references from the Net :thumbsup:

simonsng said:
Exhausting walk :( I must say

Wah! I must really join you for these walks. I need the training anyway.

But back to the pictures.

SWEE! (Although as mentioned earlier, flash a bit harsh.)

Did you try it with omnibounce too?

Cheers,

oh. And I love the metallic green sheen on the wings of the dragonfly in the last picture!

Cheers,

all shot with flash and omni bounce attached... I using +2 FE, some of the pics under direct sunlight came out just nice, while those in the dark.. got harsh shadows... guess i need more practise :p (great excuse to shoot more)

wanna join me? prolly heading back to the same place this weekend :p

Great series Simon, well taken and good exposure. I like the fact that you took the time and effort to source for each species' ID, and label each picture, good effort on your part! :thumbsup: I like the Branded Imperial picture the most, minor nit is that the DOF is not enough, hence the 'tails' of the butt not in focus.

Well done, keep shooting.

Garion said:
Great series Simon, well taken and good exposure. I like the fact that you took the time and effort to source for each species' ID, and label each picture, good effort on your part! :thumbsup: I like the Branded Imperial picture the most, minor nit is that the DOF is not enough, hence the 'tails' of the butt not in focus.

Well done, keep shooting.

thanks, I like that shot too.. but beside the DOF thingy, its too centralized ;p

*excuse time*
there was a 3ft long monitor lizard about 1m away... kekekee, serious and a group of people was walking towards me, talking and laughing.. so i gave up and continue my trekking :devil:

skyflash said:
Nice series. I almost stepped into a monitor lizard on Saturday on the same trail. :p I usually "tail" behind group so that can observe the scared butterflies and wait for them to settle down. :)

Weeeeee.... i notice there are many monitors around the trail.. kenna spooked a few times.. too bad there aint many people during sunday.. only had 1 family, but they left me while i was busying shooting :cry: :bsmilie:

Hi Simsong, were you one of the group of photographers that I saw on Sunday by on the trail by the side of Singapore Island Club at 11am?

A few of them use SLR-type cameras. I was in the bunch of trekkers carry big packs training for our mountain trip. I was carrying a trekking pole.

breetai78 said:
Hi Simsong, were you one of the group of photographers that I saw on Sunday by on the trail by the side of Singapore Island Club at 11am?

A few of them use SLR-type cameras. I was in the bunch of trekkers carry big packs training for our mountain trip. I was carrying a trekking pole.

nope.. i was alone

skyflash said:
They usually locate near the water, I think. So far, I have not encountered any deep into the trail. Instead, squirrels and monkeys.

On Saturday, there are troops and troops of students (on hiking trip?) from Macritchie Nature Trail to Bt timah. They caused quite some disturbance, but hungry butterflies ignore them. :p

LOL.. i prefer to disturb and observe the butterflies... many times, i was shooting and some bypasser scare the butterfly away :angry:

wow... must go macro shooting with you one of these days, haven't shot macro for quite sometime now, spent most time on birds these days...those are wonderful shots you have there Simon... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

btw, what is this?? Carpenter Bee?? http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=78680

Madcat II said:
wow... must go macro shooting with you one of these days, haven't shot macro for quite sometime now, spent most time on birds these days...those are wonderful shots you have there Simon... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

btw, what is this?? Carpenter Bee?? http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=78680

yeah :p change your menu.. instead of shooting Bee eaters :bsmilie:

I not familar with bee... or butterflies.. but i guess it should be the Carpenter Bee, Xylocopa caerulea

Status
Not open for further replies.