Business sharing topics for 2012

Agetan

Dec 31, 2004
www.tomato.sg
Hi all,

It has been an interesting year for us at Tomato Photo and i am humble despite some events which put life more into perspective our projected growth target has been exceeded every single year for the past 4 years. So I have decided to spend more time to help people who like some help and at the same time gather some money for charity cause.

I am grateful for CS support for my initiative of educating newer generation of photographer or someone who is thinking of having photography as a career.

The whole idea evolve around showing people how to start it right and the demystifying the world of "Professional Photographer" and "working full time as a professional photographer". Hopefully given people enough food for thought so they understand better how the business works.

For 2012, my intention is to create a theme for each months so we can have a better flow and control of the events as well as getting the point across in a bite size amount.

So I am looking for ideas on what of the topics that people are interested to know but please keep this within the realm of Business Aspect of Photography. There will be nothing about how to capture this or that or any technical discussion on how photography works.

Here are some topics that I have in mind.... (not necessary to have it in a sequence)
1. Vision (style)
This will evolve around your vision towards your photography and it's business and the importance of having the vision.

2. Service
Understand how and what to do with servicing your clients, may seems simple but many seems to have no clue on how to serve their clients

3. Pricing
What should be consider in terms of pricing your work and understanding on the value vs price vs work volume equation and what to include and what not to include.

4. Marketing
A general overview on how to market your vision to your audience.

5. Products
What is the real product in running a business in photography.

Ok guys... Please give your input so I have some ideas on what to include for 2012. If life according to plan, we should have at least 10 sessions for 2012 and I hope to have at least 10-12 topics.

I also like to invite any photographer who believe their success can inspire others to come and help and building this community that we are in. Please PM, email, Facebook me if you would like to share and help others in business aspect of photography.

I can be contacted on
CS thru PM
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/tomato.sg
Email: hart[at]tomato dot sg

Please refrain from calling me on my phone as I prefer to have enough time to serve my clients or spend time with my family.

Thank you and let's make 2012 a better year for everyone.

Regards,

Hart

Last edited:
Any thought? Anyone?

It takes 2 hands to clap and I don't know everything... So help me help you on the topic you would like to talk about.

Regards,

Hart

Here are a couple ideas that were given to me via PM.

6. Managing setback
More specific on setting your business target and how to be realistic.

7. Dealing with difficult clients.
What you do with difficult clients is more important that you deal with good clients as they generally make or break your reputation.

Ok guys... More ideas are welcome...

You can post directly here or PM me if you are not comfortable posting it here.

Remember there isn't any stupid questions... If you don't ask you won't know.

Also, these sharing is gear towards the business aspect of the photography so make sure you understand there isn't any technical questions on how to shoot will be discussed.

I hope this will give people who want to attend so idea on how things are done.

More ideas please....

Regards,

Hart

Its relevant but may not be specifically how to run the business.

It's more on psychology or mental state rather then mechanics of the business but will include this in the topic of Vision.

Regards,

Hart

How about a topic on finding/dealing with suppliers for photobooks/framing/printing etc? I believe these collaterals are essential to any photo biz as well.

How about a topic on finding/dealing with suppliers for photobooks/framing/printing etc? I believe these collaterals are essential to any photo biz as well.

Suppliers aren't worth discussing as it is personal and there are only a few album supplier and a few good printing in Singapore and it is listed on CS anyway.

One supplier works for one and won't work for others and it is really depend on building a relationship with them.

Regards,

Hart

Hi Hart,

Maybe this can call a topic? like "What if the client reject or don't like our image because didn't meet their expectation?" Example for big event like wedding.

Cheers.

This will fall under servicing clients category, but yes, it is relevant.

Regards,

Hart

After-service support or or customer relation management? Might be under service or a stand alone topic?
That will be under Servicing clients?

Any more ideas guys... 2012 is just around the corner.

Regards,

Hart

How about including some real-case scenarios, common problems & solutions? It might be useful especially for those who just started.

branding
pricing
negotiating
agreement, laywer
deliveries
post delivery, complaints, dealing with complaints
getting referrals

How about "Learning to delegate tasks?" aka "Learning to let others do what they do better than us"

This seems to be interesting, can you please elaborate? In specific area that you think the discussion should be directed?

Regards,

Hart

How about including some real-case scenarios, common problems & solutions? It might be useful especially for those who just started.

Ok, this can be in every aspect of the major topic actually, so this will be shared through my experience.

Regards,

Hart

branding
pricing
negotiating
agreement, laywer
deliveries
post delivery, complaints, dealing with complaints
getting referrals

Thanks...

Branding and getting referral works as 1 topic as they co-relate to each other.

The rest like negotiating and complaints handling are pretty much business mechanics which I think might nit be the most suitable topics as everyone would have different idea on how to and branding place a huge part of negotiating.

The whole idea of these free business sharing is to give people the Macro level of business aspect... Of course, I am planning to do a whole day business course (not free) to give very in-depth way of business mechanics once I have time to re-write the whole syllabus perhaps in late 2012 or early 2013 if anyone interested.

Regards,

Hart

This seems to be interesting, can you please elaborate? In specific area that you think the discussion should be directed?

Regards,

Hart

I guess as a business owner, when you start you would want to manage every aspect yourself but in the long run you would need to learn to recognise and learn how to delegate some of the more administrative or mundane stuff (or stuff you suck at) to others for the business to scale.

I guess what would be relevant would be to share on how we can better identify areas that can be delegated out as well as any processes or lessons learned during these proceses?