Bus and MRT train fare increased

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
0.7% increase in overall fares, still dare to say "With the increase of the fare rebate, public transport operators will forego $30 million in revenue annually" :rolleyes:, with more people taking public transport nowaday, the operators should earn more. The recent fall in oil price should benefit them also. And where are the improvement in services and frequency? Alhough MRT peak hour service may improve a little bit, but more MRT frequency during lunch time is not what most people want.

Basic trip from $0.67 to $0.71, so there's a 6% increase, although the rebate have increase from $0.25 to $0.40. So, it's good and fairer for people who transit a lot only.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_277784.html
www.straitstimes.com/ said:
0.7% change in fares
http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/pdf/20080912/singapore-fare.pdf
MOST train and bus rides will cost commuters four cents more from Oct 1 onwards, said the Public Transport Council on Friday.
However, for commuters who make a transfers on their journeys, this will be offset by an increase in the transfer rebate, which will rise from the current 25 cents to 40 cents.

As a result, commuters will pay as much as seven cents less to four cents more on their entire journeys. Those who make transfers willl stand to benefit the most.
This comes as the PTC approved an overall net fare adjustment of 0.7 per cent in this year's fare revision exercise, which is lower than the 3 per cent cap allowed for in this year's fare formula.
After the new fares kick in, 59 per cent of commuters will see their weekly expenditures on transport go up.
One in three commuters will have their transport bill rise by an average of $0.23 per week, while one in four commuters will face an increase of $0.18 per week.
For the remaining 41 per cent of commuters, they either pay the same or pay lesser each week.
With the increase of the fare rebate, public transport operators will forego $30 million in revenue annually, said the PTC.
The rebate will be further increased as the public transport system moves towards a distance-based through fare system.
Under this, a commuter who makes transfers to get to his destination will pay the same amount as a commuter who takes a direct service to the same destination, instead of paying more as he does currently.
The four cent increase on bus and train fares will also apply to senior concession fares. For the elderly, the concession hours on SMRT trains will be extended to 4.30pm to 7pm on weekday evenings.
This means they get concessionary travel from 9am to the close of operations on SMRT trains on weekdays.
Child and student concession fares will remain unchanged, as well as the prices of student and National Servicemen concession passes. Those who pay by cash instead of ez-link card, however, will see their fares go up by 10 cents across the board.

No matter what they will still earn, unless the entire population decide to forgo public transport and walk/cycle everyday.

use Ez-Link tap ur $$ away, if got license beep ur $$ away.

no escape wan ler... :devil:

I wonder why they dont implement a fare system whereby ppl travel in rush hours pay more and ppl travel in early morning or late evening pay less, that should somehow even out the jam pack situation at rush hours.

it's a sign...i shall go get a Class2B licence and get myself a small little scooter ..
maybe a bright purple one with a huge garfield face on it..
it would be nice... :bsmilie:

I wonder why they dont implement a fare system whereby ppl travel in rush hours pay more and ppl travel in early morning or late evening pay less, that should somehow even out the jam pack situation at rush hours.

Something like ERP, then they will decided which station to start with based on the walking speed. :bsmilie:

:think: Your idea sounds a lot like ERP...

this wan difficult to implement. wait alot of staff working the peak hour will :complain: wan. actually gahmen should work with bosses to implement staggered work hours.

but increase fares is easier mah... :sticktong yet i tot increasing fares is not the solution? any1 salary got go up? :sweat:

:think: Your idea sounds a lot like ERP...

then those who work in the cbd with standard working hours die. (thats me)

it is true, no matter who(gov or the transport co.) win, we(public general consumers) always lose.

seriously, it makes you wonder how can they dont earn money when they are increasing prices every now and then, there are so much more people taking the train now(just take the train during working hours, u'll know) as compare to last time.

where do all the money go? you should have the answer in your heart. We all know it but dont do anything, i'm guilty of this.

Last edited:
The bus and mrt companies must make money, otherwise they will close down. However there are poor and underprivilege ppl who really cannot afford the higher fare, so somehow the companies should also provide a way for them to travel at a lower fare.

They did, in early morning only, but for 10¢ and to specific stations only.... :sweat:
http://www.transitlink.com.sg/info_fares.html
Discount for Morning Off-peak Travel
A discount of 10¢ on fares will be given to MRT commuters who begin their journey from a SMRT MRT station outside the city area and exit at a station within the city area before 7.30am from Mondays to Saturdays, except public holidays.
Stations within the city area are:

• NS22 Orchard
  • EW11 Lavender
  • NS23 Somerset
  • EW12 Bugis
  • NS24 Dhoby Ghaut
  • EW15 Tanjong Pagar
  • NS25 / EW13 City Hall
  • EW16 Outram Park
  • NS26 / EW14 Raffles Place

The bus and mrt companies must make money, otherwise they will close down. However there are poor and underprivilege ppl who really cannot afford the higher fare, so somehow the companies should also provide a way for them to travel at a lower fare.

it is true that every company has to make money to carry on, but the question here is, do public transport company has to make money, or rather increase their revenue every year while not maintaining balance of the revenue for their shareholders to keep fares as low as it can be?

They are the public company that everyone cant live without, are their main interest to make as much money out from the public?

This debate will never end hahaha.

Just keep paying, bitch around and sooner or later get use to the hole in your pocket. We do everything but nothing, i am guilty to be one of them.

The only way is up for profits by the public transport company with the oil prices going down to below US$100.

There are news about the poor getting transport vouchers. However, they need to know the news and need to apply for the transport vouchers. Unfortunately, most of the poor don't know about it and are illiterate.

Last edited:
Another reason to justify taking the cab.

Comprang got use meh?

this wan difficult to implement. wait alot of staff working the peak hour will :complain: wan. actually gahmen should work with bosses to implement staggered work hours.

Actually alreadi done wat... you get to start work much earlier and end work much later. :cry:

The only way is up for profits by the public transport company with the oil prices going down to below US$100.

There are news about the poor getting transport vouchers. However, they need to know the news and need to apply for the transport vouchers. Unfortunately, most of the poor don't know about it and are illiterate.

Why can't they just be issued wif a special "discount" EZ-link card. :think: scared people abuse issit? Alreadi got massive fine liao and add of a ban for "discount" travel sure will keep users in line. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.