Burst mode of DSLR depends on the memory card used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi I got a very newbie question to ask. Is the burst mode of a cam dependent on the type of memory card used? Eg. my camera is supposed to be 3fps, but I realised that when I am shooting continuous mode, the memory card only gobbles up to 3-4 pics then slow down liao.. The jpeg was set to the highest quality. The camera is supposed to be able to do much better than that. Whats wrong? I am using those normal CF/SD cards. Not high speed one, is the most normal type. And if I want to shoot sports, besides a fast lens I will need a fast memory card too?

Speed on memory card is one factor. The other thing is your camera buffer. The bigger the buffer the more you can shoot.

I believe you have answered your own question.

The reason for the slow down is because your camera buffer is filling up faster than the information can be written to the card. Thus a high-speed card would help. :)

It also depends on how fast your camera can write the data into the card. Even if you have a very fast card but slow camera writing speed, the result will still be the same.A fast card will only work if your camera writing speed is not the limiting factor.

Icic.. Thanks for the help guys!:) Think I will go down to the upcoming Sitex to see whether there will any lobang for memory cards. Most probably getting a 2Gb or 4Gb high speed card

Hi I got a very newbie question to ask. Is the burst mode of a cam dependent on the type of memory card used? Eg. my camera is supposed to be 3fps, but I realised that when I am shooting continuous mode, the memory card only gobbles up to 3-4 pics then slow down liao.. The jpeg was set to the highest quality. The camera is supposed to be able to do much better than that. Whats wrong? I am using those normal CF/SD cards. Not high speed one, is the most normal type. And if I want to shoot sports, besides a fast lens I will need a fast memory card too?

what camera are you using?

frankly, if you only get 3-4 shots, you're not going to get many more even if you use a faster memory card.

At this point it depends more on the camera.

what camera are you using?

frankly, if you only get 3-4 shots, you're not going to get many more even if you use a faster memory card.

At this point it depends more on the camera.

depends. some cards are really slow.

juz wondering what camera are you using? 3-4 JPG fine are well below the average buffer size. :think:

Thanks alot guys!:) Anyway I most probably will be getting a better card during Sitex next week..:) Most likely getting a 4GB card..

i think the bigger the capacity the slower it gets
(means i am not sure, so google it)
due to the number of sectors it needs to read/write

My expereince is after the buffer is fulled, it really does not matter that much, it's going to be slow. If you need to shoot in rapid succession, you need a big buffer.

Ic.. Thanks Deadpoet and Ortega for the useful info ..:D

My expereince is after the buffer is fulled, it really does not matter that much, it's going to be slow. If you need to shoot in rapid succession, you need a big buffer.

agree on this... my 512 kingston elite pro is faster than the 2gb counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.