burning

d2xpeter

Deregistered
Dec 6, 2012
singapore
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
practicing of burning

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
enhance subject by removing distractive bright area

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
strong daylight with flash

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
subject becomes more prominent after darkening background

photo.jpg
photo.jpg

i don't think burning is effective in bringing out the subject here, because it makes the lighting look unnatural. dodging and burning are more better suited IMHO to correcting imbalances in lighting in the photograph. the lighting looks fine to me here, but i find that the image to be too tightly framed, such that one feeler is cut off and there is hardly any space around the subject. sharpness is uneven with parts of the subject's body being out of focus. getting the framing and DOF/sharpness right will make the subject stand out much better.
8746964241_6013c0e1ac_z.jpg

i don't think burning is effective in bringing out the subject here, because it makes the lighting look unnatural. dodging and burning are more better suited IMHO to correcting imbalances in lighting in the photograph. the lighting looks fine to me here, but i find that the image to be too tightly framed, such that one feeler is cut off and there is hardly any space around the subject. sharpness is uneven with parts of the subject's body being out of focus. getting the framing and DOF/sharpness right will make the subject stand out much better.
8746964241_6013c0e1ac_z.jpg

Thanks for the advice.
Was using only f8. Guess i should use a smaller aperture to get better dof.
btw, i find the bright streak on the edge of the leave on the left a bit distracting. What is the best method to darken it?

Pic that go thru you always look so much better. You are really good!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
Was using only f8. Guess i should use a smaller aperture to get better dof.
btw, i find the bright streak on the edge of the leave on the left a bit distracting. What is the best method to darken it?

Pic that go thru you always look so much better. You are really good!

i think you did a pretty good job of darkening the edge of the leaf in your pic :)

thanks bro....glad to help!