Burning CD...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chia73

Jan 10, 2004
hi guys...

me newbie, just aquired ACDsee n a cd writer, hoping to get some headstart on digital photos....

ok here's the problem i hv..

after installing the CD writer n software(Nero Express), tried to make some copies onto some blank CDs, but the Nero does not reconize the pics formats(jpeg)!!!
try again using ACDsee to create disc, again no luck!!!

try try 3 hours, then use windows explorer to select, then copy to D: drive, it works!!!

how come?? :think: did i missed out somthing??

can someone pls advise??

thanx

chia73 said:
hi guys...

me newbie, just aquired ACDsee n a cd writer, hoping to get some headstart on digital photos....

ok here's the problem i hv..

after installing the CD writer n software(Nero Express), tried to make some copies onto some blank CDs, but the Nero does not reconize the pics formats(jpeg)!!!
try again using ACDsee to create disc, again no luck!!!

try try 3 hours, then use windows explorer to select, then copy to D: drive, it works!!!

how come?? :think: did i missed out somthing??

can someone pls advise??

thanx

When you first use Nero Express you need to set the file type to *.* (wildcards, means all files) and then you can drag and drop files direct on to the CD side of the inbuilt file menu system in Nero. It's also worth reading up on the Nero Help files before trying a burn.

Other things you may need to do, test your hard disk drive to determine the maximum throughput in KBs so you don't set the burn speed too high and cause errors in the burn.

Ian said:
When you first use Nero Express you need to set the file type to *.* (wildcards, means all files) and then you can drag and drop files direct on to the CD side of the inbuilt file menu system in Nero. It's also worth reading up on the Nero Help files before trying a burn.

thanx for the reply..

when i set to all files(*.*), (default - all nero compilation n images), select a pic n click OK, i get a message 'unexpected file format'... did i do anything wrong???

sori if i sounds slow or something.. me dummy when it comes to computers..

thanx

thanx for the reply..

when i set to all files(*.*), (default - all nero compilation n images), select a pic n click OK, i get a message 'unexpected file format'... did i do anything wrong???

sori if i sounds slow or something.. me dummy when it comes to computers..

thanx

It's ok, we all have to start somewhere ;)

I'd suggest you rename the files to .jpg rather than .jpeg and see how it goes.

is there any reason why you are using Nero Express instead of the regular Nero 5/6 ? Many CD burners will come bundled with the regular Nero anyway. I've never had a problem burning JPGs ( or any file for that matter ) in Nero 5.x.

In regular Nero, you need to specify the TYPE of disk you are burning ( ie, data, audio, VCD, etc ). Is there an equivalent in Express ? For burning JPGs, it should be data disk. And you need to make sure the file paths are compatible with the standards you have chosen ( ie, long file names, Joliet, file paths < 255 chars, ISO 9660 or whatever ).

hello guys...

foolish me... instead of using 'copy data', i use 'copy images'!!! hahahahaha

pai seh pai seh... now can copy leow... only a bit confuse over the burning and formatting usages...

anyway wats the diff between tiff n jpeg??

thanx bro..

chriszzz said:
is there any reason why you are using Nero Express instead of the regular Nero 5/6 ? Many CD burners will come bundled with the regular Nero anyway. I've never had a problem burning JPGs ( or any file for that matter ) in Nero 5.x.

In regular Nero, you need to specify the TYPE of disk you are burning ( ie, data, audio, VCD, etc ). Is there an equivalent in Express ? For burning JPGs, it should be data disk. And you need to make sure the file paths are compatible with the standards you have chosen ( ie, long file names, Joliet, file paths < 255 chars, ISO 9660 or whatever ).

aiya the Nero Express comes wif the CD Writer, so i use mah...!!!
btw problem solved leow.. i thought must use image copy, dats y corkup!!

anyway thanx for ur help... oh one more thing, i notice after i use InCD to format CD, i can only use wins explorer to copy and not Nero.. unless i specified to use Nero to 'burn' data in the start.. normal or not???

chia73 said:
hello guys...

foolish me... instead of using 'copy data', i use 'copy images'!!! hahahahaha

pai seh pai seh... now can copy leow... only a bit confuse over the burning and formatting usages...

anyway wats the diff between tiff n jpeg??

thanx bro..

JPG is lossy compression and so can achieve very small file sizes. TIFF is lossless, but moderate compression is possible using LZW or other compression algos. JPG is also 8 bits per color ( ie, 24 bits per pixels ), whereas TIFF supports 8 bits as well as 16bits per color.

If you edit your graphic files, each time you save as JPG, some information is lost, and your image quality will degrade each time you save. So if you are doing editing in Photoshop or any image editor, first convert your JPGs to TIFF or any lossless algos, like PNG or PSD before editing and saving.

chia73 said:
aiya the Nero Express comes wif the CD Writer, so i use mah...!!!
btw problem solved leow.. i thought must use image copy, dats y corkup!!

anyway thanx for ur help... oh one more thing, i notice after i use InCD to format CD, i can only use wins explorer to copy and not Nero.. unless i specified to use Nero to 'burn' data in the start.. normal or not???

InCD is a packet writer. You use your CD like a floppy, so you copy data to it using the explorer, just like a floppy. Data is written in small chunks, or packets. Nero, the main app, burns data tracks at a time in multiple sessions or disk at a time (ie, in BIG chunks ). This concept of sessions is different from packets, so you cannot mix them on the same disk.

chriszzz said:
InCD is a packet writer. You use your CD like a floppy, so you copy data to it using the explorer, just like a floppy. Data is written in small chunks, or packets. Nero, the main app, burns data tracks at a time in multiple sessions or disk at a time (ie, in BIG chunks ). This concept of sessions is different from packets, so you cannot mix them on the same disk.

ya man... me new, at first think until head big big..!! now then i understand a bit... haizzz

so u recommend that i shoot in Tiff format?? or shoot in jpeg then convert to Tiff using software is it the same?? cos my cam save jpeg very fast, but if i use Tiff ..whoa like forever!!

cheers

chia73 said:
so u recommend that i shoot in Tiff format?? or shoot in jpeg then convert to Tiff using software is it the same?? cos my cam save jpeg very fast, but if i use Tiff ..whoa like forever!!

If you want highest-quality images, TIFF (or whatever RAW format your camera supports) is the way to go. It's no point converting JPEG to TIFF.

As mentioned by other posters above, JPEG is a lossy compression format, meaning DATA IS DISCARDED when writing the image to your memory card. The JPEG algorithm is smart enough to know what data to discard so that your images still looks decent enough for most people. By converting your JPEG to TIFF format, you are essentially only exploding your file size but not improving the image quality. TIFF cannot recover your data that has been discarded by the JPEG algorithm when written to your camera memory.

regular nero..requires the key...last time i noted it somewhere but now can't find :bsmilie:

chia73 said:
ya man... me new, at first think until head big big..!! now then i understand a bit... haizzz

cheers

All 3 formats have their advantages and disadvantages. I'll list out the main ones, so you can decide which to choose :

RAW
====
Advantages :
o Its like a digital negative, a dump of the sensor data. What this means is that all information captured by the camera is in there.
o This gives highest possible quality, and also gives you most leeway when editing your images. All 12-14 bits per photosite is captured and retained.
o You can adjust exposure and whitebalance easily after taking the shot.
o You can convert it into other formats with no loss in quality.

Disadvantages
o Relatively big file size compared to JPG.
o Propriertary to each brand and sensor, so not interoperable unless first converted to a graphics format.
o Converting large amounts of RAW images to graphics formats takes time and plenty of CPU power, and is an additional step in your workflow.

TIFF
====
Ad :
o Non lossy.
o Widely supported by most graphics apps.
o TIFF available in 8 and 16 bits. Using 16bits when converting from RAW retains the highest quality, but requires lots of memory. All digicams ( AFAIK ) produce 8bit TIFFs directly.

Disad :
o Very big file sizes.
o Usually very slow when writing to CF card.

JPG
====
Ad:
o Very small file sizes compared to the other formats.
o Very widely supported.

Disad:
o LOSSY ! This is probably it's biggest disadvantage.
o Only 8 bits per color.

Personally, I shoot a mixture of RAW and JPGs. I never shoot TIFF, mainly because my cameras don't support them :) If I shoot JPG, I shoot at highest res and quality. Images are indistinguisable from TIFFs at normal viewing (ie, you are not specifically poring over the image hunting for JPG artifects). I convert them to either PNG or TIFF before editing so that successive saves don't degrade them.

thanx for the advice man..!! will take note of ur replies..

.. still a lot to learn..!! ;)

Hi Chriszzz

How do you convert Raw to TIFFS of JPEG? I try to use ZoomBrowser EX from Canon but I got problem... I am using a D30.

Thank you for your help. Cheers.

lieu9310 said:
Hi Chriszzz

How do you convert Raw to TIFFS of JPEG? I try to use ZoomBrowser EX from Canon but I got problem... I am using a D30.

Thank you for your help. Cheers.

You can use the Canon File Viewer Util. It came with my old Canon G3 and my 300D. It allows conversion to 8bits and 16 bits TIFF, and of coz JPG.

Not sure about the D30 though.

Hi,

i noticed for my nero 5 that if i use a CD-R/RW which I have copied files before to burn new files again, my CD writer will eject the CD-R and there will be a pop-up msg indicating that the CD-R/RW is not writable. My CD-R still has excess capacity. Wld appreciate any advice/help, thanks!

cheers,
nightstar

Nightstar said:
Hi,

i noticed for my nero 5 that if i use a CD-R/RW which I have copied files before to burn new files again, my CD writer will eject the CD-R and there will be a pop-up msg indicating that the CD-R/RW is not writable. My CD-R still has excess capacity. Wld appreciate any advice/help, thanks!

cheers,
nightstar

Probably you have selected "Finalize CD" during the previous write session? This will not allow the disc to be written any further, even if it has remaining space.

Status
Not open for further replies.