Bukit Timah Rail road shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramius75

Nov 21, 2005
Hi all,

im thinking of doing some shooting at the Bukit timah railroad. So i need to know where are the nice and Safe location to shoot photos. is there anything that i should be aware of ??

1) Duration between trains
2) how to tell the used and abandon track ?
3) how to know a train is coming ?
4) how far should the model be from passing train
5) shooting around bend is more dangerous ?? (less response time)
etc etc

Safety is very important. Dont want to end up with half a model eh ??

Thanks in advance :)

Ramius

Hi all,

im thinking of doing some shooting at the Bukit timah railroad. So i need to know where are the nice and Safe location to shoot photos. is there anything that i should be aware of ??

etc etc

Ramius

woah....dangerous shot u planning.....

what i can suggest....

1. go to those intersections like near the kranji where the gates are manually lowered by a guy living in a hut and ask the guy

2. have one guy in each direction at least 500m to 1km away from u (for safety purpose) and of cos off the track to warn u by phone or walkie talkie when they see the train coming.

just to let u know, i think the track belongs to malaysia railway and i am not sure if u will be sued for trespass if they are not aware.....

I remember at the base hill of MINDEF at Gombak area, there is a small hut with the train care taker or something like that, they are the people responsible to close the gate whenever there is any train approaching. You can always go there to enquire also.

Agreed that safety is very important, but why not plan at those un-used track? Think there are a few of them, right?

Hi all,

etc etc

Ramius

The track beside King Albert Park is still in use as the tracks conditions are 'fresh'. Abandoned one is at Sunset Way the railway bridge, full of thick vegetation and rusts.

One word of caution: ALWAYS remember that you hear sound of a train coming from behind you is surprisingly low, for some strange reason. I can't stress this enough - but unless you always have someone facing you, so he/she can warn you if a train comes behind you, be extra vigilant. Of course there's the horn, but that might make you panic.

This is not a joke. I didn't believe it myself, until I started to use a cycle track that goes parallel to a train track, and quite close. Sometimes you realize that you were hearing the sound of the train only when you see the train whooshing past you.

One way to tell a used and abandoned track is rust. Usually, (i can't guarantee, but i think this is more 'always' than 'usually'), the rails being used have polished surfaces due to the impact of the wheels. With time, a thin film of rust gets formed. Oil patches would be another give-away.

One word of caution: ALWAYS remember that you hear sound of a train coming from behind you is surprisingly low, for some strange reason. I can't stress this enough - but unless you always have someone facing you, so he/she can warn you if a train comes behind you, be extra vigilant. Of course there's the horn, but that might make you panic.

This is not a joke. I didn't believe it myself, until I started to use a cycle track that goes parallel to a train track, and quite close. Sometimes you realize that you were hearing the sound of the train only when you see the train whooshing past you.

One way to tell a used and abandoned track is rust. Usually, (i can't guarantee, but i think this is more 'always' than 'usually'), the rails being used have polished surfaces due to the impact of the wheels. With time, a thin film of rust gets formed. Oil patches would be another give-away.

mmm...it is true...i guess because our ears are built to collect sound from the front and side more than from the back?:think:

hi all, thanks for the replys.

Ya, if possible, i will prefer to do it on abandoned tracks, but just need to confirm how to tell them apart. Dont want to get too complacent. i live in the east so very very unfamilar with the west of singapore.

maybe i will do some recce along sunset avenue then...

Seems like a interesting shooting.. yet, really dangerous too!:confused:

Anyway, I was once brought to a abandoned track at Clementi area. It was near a park and you have to climb up a slope to get there. The scenery from there are really awesome. I'm sure it's great for shooting. I can't really remember the exact location though. Perhaps you can ask around.. perhaps people staying in Clementi would know. Geez. :)

Seems like a interesting shooting.. yet, really dangerous too!:confused:

Anyway, I was once brought to a abandoned track at Clementi area. It was near a park and you have to climb up a slope to get there. The scenery from there are really awesome. I'm sure it's great for shooting. I can't really remember the exact location though. Perhaps you can ask around.. perhaps people staying in Clementi would know. Geez. :)

Check out my pics in a previous thread, i think u're referring to here. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=291459

just for additional information, there is also another abandon railway track which is ard 2km away ( at the end of the jogging track) from what snoweagle has mentioned

IT is just beside AYE, quite easy to access ( just climb 2 talls steps)

its a bridge ,til date the bridge quite stable ( i wheel my bicycle over it)

just for additional information, there is also another abandon railway track which is ard 2km away ( at the end of the jogging track) from what snoweagle has mentioned

IT is just beside AYE, quite easy to access ( just climb 2 talls steps)

its a bridge ,til date the bridge quite stable ( i wheel my bicycle over it)

But carrying on further down, the vegetation's very thick and hard to get thru.

Status
Not open for further replies.