Built in UV filter in DSLR sensor?

niccon2

Jan 27, 2011
came across a few articles mentioning or questioning the presence of UV filter on DSLR sensor thus wondering any truth and is it on all or only some dslr. if present, should we be getting clear filter instead of UV-Haze filter for our lens?

Actually a Clear filter will do. Unless you're using a film camera. Then you probably want to get a UV filter.. Having said that..if you want to get a UV filter for your DSLR lens. Its ok too.

infact, to get the best result from your lens. Dont use any UV/Clear filters.

DSLR sensors are hardly sensitive in UV range, there is no need to block UV light. (This is only necessary for film, film is more sensitive to UV light.) In addition, the coating of lens elements in recent lenses blocks UV light.
UV filters do not contribute at all. In the best case it's mechanical protection for overly scared or kiasu people. In worst case one can achieve great ghosting and flare effects.

I've not heard of digital sensors having UV filters on them.

i am aware of UV has little impact on sensor. i read that for pure protection purpose it is better for clear filter but i am puzzle why mass sales are selling UV-Haze and not clear. is it because clear is more expensive then UV-Haze? will the UV-Haze cause any effect when compare to clear filter?

i dont use filter but use hood for protection until a friendly dog tasted my lens ;p then i realise may be better off with a filter, i started off with nikon nc on all lenses except 1 with b+w (super ex). the cost for clear filter is enormous so if UV-Haze is the same as clear then i can save some money on filter for future lenses.

i am aware of UV has little impact on sensor. i read that for pure protection purpose it is better for clear filter but i am puzzle why mass sales are selling UV-Haze and not clear. is it because clear is more expensive then UV-Haze? will the UV-Haze cause any effect when compare to clear filter?

i dont use filter but use hood for protection until a friendly dog tasted my lens ;p then i realise may be better off with a filter, i started off with nikon nc on all lenses except 1 with b+w (super ex). the cost for clear filter is enormous so if UV-Haze is the same as clear then i can save some money on filter for future lenses.

Not much difference or effect. Get clear if you can.

If I raise the sensor's sensitivity to more than ISO 3200, then would a UV filter be necessary.

If I raise the sensor's sensitivity to more than ISO 3200, then would a UV filter be necessary.

No. You could raise it to 320,000 if you want to and you will still not need a UV filter.

came across a few articles mentioning or questioning the presence of UV filter on DSLR sensor thus wondering any truth and is it on all or only some dslr. if present, should we be getting clear filter instead of UV-Haze filter for our lens?

1) I do not advocate use of filters on lenses. The lenses were never designed to be used with a filter on top in the first place. It is also debatable whether the filter adds protection that is often touted, or actually increases the risk of your front element being scratched (i.e. filter breaks, and the glass scratches the front element).

2) Whether you have a UV filter on the sensor or not, it doesn't matter, since UV filters are usually quite neutral (if you use a decent enough brand) and do not cut down light that much. Still, the use of UV filters will increase the chance of ghosting/flaring, especially at night where you have concentrated light sources that stand out - refer to 1 again.

Cheers.