Built in Spirit level for your camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE clicks clicks

Dec 5, 2005
Suddenly my thoughts run while and came up with this rather absurd question. We have all seen spirit level on some of the tripods that we uses to help us avoid pictures with tilted horizon.

Would you like to have a built in spirit level on your SLR camera? How about having it on a PnS camera?

Perhaps with this feature, some of us would benefits from our hand held shots;p

Any comments fellow Csers?

NE clicks clicks said:
Suddenly my thoughts run while and came up with this rather absurd question. We have all seen spirit level on some of the tripods that we uses to help us avoid pictures with tilted horizon.

Would you like to have a built in spirit level on your SLR camera? How about having it on a PnS camera?

Perhaps with this feature, some of us would benefits from our hand held shots;p

Any comments fellow Csers?

i have 1 on my camera... and i even have lines for it also... sometimes its better to get the best composition than the best alignment, if u get what i mean...

Some books show photos of a hotshoe-mounted spirit level, but I haven't seen one on sale as of yet. If I had the time and the determination one day, I might very well build one myself.

fWord said:
Some books show photos of a hotshoe-mounted spirit level, but I haven't seen one on sale as of yet. If I had the time and the determination one day, I might very well build one myself.

I've not seen it on sale in Singapore before, but it's available from bhphoto if you are really interested. Here is the link to one of the hotshoe mounted spirit level.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...779&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

no need to go all the way to states and buy lah. i think some sg shops have (dun ask me which one :dunno: )

er... just order from parkert's online shop lah. he got 2 kinds.

frenchbean said:
I've not seen it on sale in Singapore before, but it's available from bhphoto if you are really interested. Here is the link to one of the hotshoe mounted spirit level.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=109779&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

i have the exact same 1, same brand even, and bought in singapore... just fyi...

and i also have another 1 which i bought from a local seller (in here too...) totally transparent 1, but den again, cool is cool, but the edges are abit too sharp to my liking, they should have done some chamfering...

eh DCA, u mount urs on fs-1100 and then put on camera issit? the minolta shoe not very accessory friendly :sweat:

I have a spirit level that can be mounted on the hotshoe. Lovely little greenish gadget.
But cannot be used when my camera have a flashgun munted on it leh.:(

That's why just curios to know whether you guys like to have one that is built into the camera body?:dunno:

Hotshoe type spirit level used to be very popular in camera stores a few years back, but hard to find now, you can check out the ParkertR thread here, he is selling it here.

Only a few cameras has built in spirit level, like SWC, most panoramic camera and large format cameras.

pai said:
eh DCA, u mount urs on fs-1100 and then put on camera issit? the minolta shoe not very accessory friendly :sweat:

yup...

but like i said, the lines inside the 7D is more useful than this... align the horizon with the grids... simplest and fastest...

next is i wish to have a compass, cos i always lost my way.... :bsmilie: or maybe GPS... den my LCD screen will show map, and the speaker will direct me to the destination...

5D cannot change to grid screen... so i use the focus area markings to agar agar...

thinking of just taking the metal part of a normal iso shoe and fixing it on the flash hotshoe cap to make an adapter... hrm... superglue? doublesided tape?

---
NE clicks clicks, when using the spirit level, ur camera is usually on a tripod right? i can't look at the bubble with my eye on the viewfinder :p

just put the bubble, level the camera, take out the bubble, put on the flash? what kind of situation are you normally in that need to use both the level and the flash and handheld?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
yup...

but like i said, the lines inside the 7D is more useful than this... align the horizon with the grids... simplest and fastest...

next is i wish to have a compass, cos i always lost my way.... :bsmilie: or maybe GPS... den my LCD screen will show map, and the speaker will direct me to the destination...

Hey, that a good one :bsmilie:
Compass + GPS ah, will probably cost you a bomb if they do produce a camera with all this on it. But you never know I guess, since now Camera also goes Wi-Fi:think:

fWord said:

I bought them from Ruby Photo years ago, still have them in my cabinet.

NE clicks clicks said:
Hey, that a good one :bsmilie:
Compass + GPS ah, will probably cost you a bomb if they do produce a camera with all this on it. But you never know I guess, since now Camera also goes Wi-Fi:think:

and u know... my imagination is limitless... (somehow either i meant, my imagination got limit lesser or my imagination got less limit) :bsmilie:

i'll wanna have a babe-o-meter in my camera... cos since the GPS & Speaker is in place, next my camera will call me (Voice of C3PO)... Master Luke, Turn Left, 10 o'clock, Chio bu... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

pai said:
NE clicks clicks, when using the spirit level, ur camera is usually on a tripod right? i can't look at the bubble with my eye on the viewfinder :p

just put the bubble, level the camera, take out the bubble, put on the flash? what kind of situation are you normally in that need to use both the level and the flash and handheld?

Was touring Hong Kong with a company colleagues, did not brought along the tripod.
Taking group picture handheld(elbow resting on railing)with the flash mounted on the hot shoe and with a the HK skyline as the background. Flash to fill-in. Wanted yo ensure the horizon wasn't tilted.

NE clicks clicks said:
Was touring Hong Kong with a company colleagues, did not brought along the tripod.
Taking group picture handheld(elbow resting on railing)with the flash mounted on the hot shoe and with a the HK skyline as the background. Flash to fill-in. Wanted yo ensure the horizon wasn't tilted.

i see... i guess if i were in that situation i still wouldn't be able to look at the bubble level and also frame the shot in the viewfinder. would probably just reply on viewfinder markings and agar agar. maybe frame the shot wider to leave room for adjustment and crop in photoshop.

anyway back to your original question... i think no need to build in lah. p&s cameras also have those grid-lines on the lcd that can be turned on.

frenchbean said:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...779&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Hi,

I bought one when I visited there last year.

I can't tell you what shop sold it, but if you PM teerex he may remember where it was that he took me too.

Cheers :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
and u know... my imagination is limitless... (somehow either i meant, my imagination got limit lesser or my imagination got less limit) :bsmilie:

i'll wanna have a babe-o-meter in my camera... cos since the GPS & Speaker is in place, next my camera will call me (Voice of C3PO)... Master Luke, Turn Left, 10 o'clock, Chio bu... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

ur babe-o-meter is single AF, or got continuous drive de? i tot babes r now u c, now u don't? :bsmilie:

anyway back 2 spirit level, i bought mine locally from a shop at Peninsula Plaza, last time got an uncle at Konota selling now no more there. upstairs got a shop oso selling.

my spirit level is a hotshoe mount type, & oso got a thread 4 tripod. :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:

best got " ghost " meter too else what u see when u actually focus in by then u realise its a ghost is already too late liao :bsmilie:

fright of yr life ! guee ah~~~ :sweat:

just kidding dont humtum me ok

Status
Not open for further replies.