Built in Flash with D800

eugeng

Oct 5, 2004
Hi,

May I ask if the built in flash for D800 will cause any "halo ring" issue when using with len filter attachment size as wide as 77mm (eg 24-120mm). Did anyone tried?

Thanks

eugeng said:
Hi,

May I ask if the built in flash for D800 will cause any "halo ring" issue when using with len filter attachment size as wide as 77mm (eg 24-120mm). Did anyone tried?

Thanks

Do u have any sample ?

sry.. can help me understand what is hal ring issue? Or let me know how to create.. I find time to test.

Do u have any sample ?

Hi,

Please see the sample. Actually, the issue is when I use the built in flash with a 24-120 len, it will cast a shadow at the bottom of my picture due to the len being too big (I have circled the shadow). using shorter or smaller len will not cause this problem, or an external flash. But an external flash is an extra weight :embrass:

flash%20with%20len%20shadow.jpg
(Pic is taken with D7000)

Thanks in advance

Look like is blocking by the zoom lens extended.

Yes this is normal, cause the built-in flash has not enough strong brighter to cover from the wide angle.

If you attached with the speed light there is solved.

Last edited:
The shadow could be because of the lens that block the flash light, just my 2 cents :D

Yeah, thought if they can tilt the angle of the built-in flash may "solved" this stupid problem.

The shadow could be because of the lens that block the flash light, just my 2 cents :D

Yeah its because of the lens..

eugeng said:
Yeah, thought if they can tilt the angle of the built-in flash may "solved" this stupid problem.

Try for prime lens. Should be no problem at all.

But don't exit from the 85mm length.

Last edited:
Try for prime lens. Should be no problem at all.

But don't exit from the 85mm length.

Hi thanks for the suggestion.. but unfortunately 24-120 will be the walk about lens, so I thot if getting D800, will this problem still exist.. looks like it is unavoidable.

btw, do you think with SB400, this might be solved? now I can think of is take a wider picture and crop it

Hi thanks for the suggestion.. but unfortunately 24-120 will be the walk about lens, so I thot if getting D800, will this problem still exist.. looks like it is unavoidable.

btw, do you think with SB400, this might be solved? now I can think of is take a wider picture and crop it

SB-400 is a travel flash, if you intend to use for travel fill in flash, yes, it will work on the 24-120.

eugeng said:

Just shoots with Raw files and do some editing jobs, there is not a problem.

But I just wonder this lens has built-in VR right?

Pls try used ISO at 3200 and shoot with RAW files. Should be not a problem for walkabout lens.

Last edited:
Thanks..I think that will be the best solution so far..

eugeng said:
Thanks..I think that will be the best solution so far..

If the lens really feels uncomfortable and grab for 50mm f1.8G should be help much..

BTW even I have my 24-70 f2.8G at the time is sleep in the dry cabinet and just bring out my best friend.. 50mm f1.8G, if wanna shoot with Tele a bit and used DX mode. :)

Last edited:
One way around this problem is to make a diffuser closer to the tip of your lens. Reduces the power of your flash but you eliminate harsh shadows too.

SB-400 is a travel flash, if you intend to use for travel fill in flash, yes, it will work on the 24-120.

Oh what I meant is, if I use SB400, do you think it will cancel out the len shadow issue??

Usually I dun flash, but when the situation calls for it, I need to take care of this stupid lens shadow issue when I flash it using built in flash. if possible I try not to carry a big flash..too heavy, especially during travel...

If the lens really feels uncomfortable and grab for 50mm f1.8G should be help much..

BTW even I have my 24-70 f2.8G at the time is sleep in the dry cabinet and just bring out my best friend.. 50mm f1.8G, if wanna shoot with Tele a bit and used DX mode. :)

No lah, the 24-120 is a good carry around len I think, just right for most situation which I can think of..

but I like your idea of using 50mm and use DX mode to tele a bit.. I do not have a FX cam, been using a DX, never thought it that way.. still waiting to get my hand on D800.. so thot of asking if anyone face this issue with their D800...

eugeng said:
No lah, the 24-120 is a good carry around len I think, just right for most situation which I can think of..

but I like your idea of using 50mm and use DX mode to tele a bit.. I do not have a FX cam, been using a DX, never thought it that way.. still waiting to get my hand on D800.. so thot of asking if anyone face this issue with their D800...

But the topic is shoot from the D800 ^_^"