Building Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambler

Dec 2, 2008
Northern
Good day ladies and gentlemen

A newbie here - just bought D300 with 18/55 & 55/200 - as a employee who travelled and file reports of construction builidngs local and overseas; I have the following dilemma - your kind opinion would be greatly appreciated

1. Should I add the 50mm F1.4 or the 12/24 VR to add value to my clients with better produce instead of Compact and flat (I must admit very down-to-earth & dull) pictures. I need to print sharp pictures to high light defects and zoom in at places I cannot reach

2. Would the SB 900 be sufficient for dark and inhospitable areas - range estimated 20 feet would be sufficient

Lugging too many gears would be like showing bad faith to other parties

Thanks and cheers to all

are you referring to progressive report type of photos?
the photos must be clear and sharp, able to see fine details, I don't think 50f1.4 is necessary, since this focal length is already covered, wider angle may be more useful. btw, I have not know Nikon has a 12/24 VR lens.

flash is always needed, as some areas may still don't have lighting fixtures installed.

Flash from front (be it pop-out flash or external hotshoe) might not help to prevent "flat (I must admit very down-to-earth & dull) pictures". 3D effects come out better when you use off-shoe flash. IIRC, D300 can trigger Nikon flashes off-shoe (pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Good day ladies and gentlemen

A newbie here - just bought D300 with 18/55 & 55/200 - as a employee who travelled and file reports of construction builidngs local and overseas; I have the following dilemma - your kind opinion would be greatly appreciated

1. Should I add the 50mm F1.4 or the 12/24 VR to add value to my clients with better produce instead of Compact and flat (I must admit very down-to-earth & dull) pictures. I need to print sharp pictures to high light defects and zoom in at places I cannot reach

2. Would the SB 900 be sufficient for dark and inhospitable areas - range estimated 20 feet would be sufficient

Lugging too many gears would be like showing bad faith to other parties

Thanks and cheers to all

If your sole purpose is to document construction activities, a simpler advanced PnS is more than enough. Almost all contractors I work with use them because they are easier to carry around, you don't have to worry about changing lenses, dust, etc. I would imagine that you may be taking notes and photos at the same time, so a bigger setup might hinder your work actually.

Your D300 and lenses are more than enough for documentation purposes. An external flash would be helpful in low light areas which is common on construction sites. Photos showing defects need to be clear and a photo which is plagued by movement blurness, etc will give rise to opportunities for contention so a flash or a body that can handle high ISO files can come in handy. Tripods may not be so practical in these instances because you would be moving around too often.

No - Not progressive report but fully completed building. What appropriate wide angle, which can cover more grounds would honorable senior recommends ?. Thank you all so much.

Hi, i suggest you getting a wide angle lens like the sigma 10-20 since you're doing architecture shots and indoor. tripod would be a good investment too. And yeah get the SB-900. I can intro you the tokina 11-16 f2.8 at cathay photo you can get it at 900 plus.
Hope i'm of any help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.