Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
I realised that there are quite a few students, NS full time members and this thread will help them in their quest for travel to Japan.
Details of each place in Japan will be available in guidebooks, this thread helps to seek out the budget hotels, food, and shopping, plus places to take pictures of course...

Being a technie and hi fi nut, I will also put tips on that here.

Stay tuned...

Firstly, do your own homework. JTB offers many local tours in English, IMO if it is your first time, and you are not familar or conversant with the langugage, actually there is no harm joining one of the Chan bros or other guided tours, they are cheaper and offer you an overview of what you can expect.

Then go again. I assure you that you will want to do so. I am just back and am already planning for my next one to Hokkaido...

Nowadays many websites in Japan offer English version for you to try. Most do not take online payments, but will keep the rooms for you.

Thanks for creating this thread

I will be sharing stuff here as well, keep a lookout!

Ginza Capital Hotel :
In Tsukiji area, 5 mins walk from the Fish Market.
Stay at the Annex - newer and cleaner.
Goes from 5500Y for a single room.
Internet access via cable.
Yurokcho & Hibiya lines next to it - will go to Ueno and Akihabara and at Ueno you can get the Keisei Line to the airport for 1000Y.

https://www.ginza-capital.co.jp/en/index.html

i just like to add

if anyone here is looking for budget places

and need some info from us,

please state your budget and preffered area of accomodation

many thanks!

i'll add some useful info that i have

use the JR Pass

http://www.japanrailpass.net/

it gives you unlimited travel on trains, buses and ferry on their network
there are different types, so read for more info

you can also join contests to win the trip (my favourite)
find out more from JNTO singapore office website

http://www.jnto.org.sg/

if you are really on a very tight budget
you can always take the overnight train and sleep there

save yourself some accommodation costs

This is very useful.

I have never been to japan but lets say if i were to hang ard in tokyo area...just tokyo and some nearby town...

wat is the cheapest budget i need to afford for maybe 1 week plus?

i understand flying northwest airline is a cheap alternative

I've been doing some research...

To save on accommodation, stay in ryokans or minshuku. A google search told me the prices for a bed(in a 6/8 bed dorm) is around 2,000 - 3,500 yen. Heard that there are cheaper places but i couldnt find them on the net.

If you feel friendly, you can try couch-surfing.

If you wanna escape Singapore for a while, try a voluntary work-for-free program at here: http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?lang=en

Hope it helps.

This is very useful.

I have never been to japan but lets say if i were to hang ard in tokyo area...just tokyo and some nearby town...

pls know japan is not cheap,

esp in tokyo, even food is a problem.

i would say for a week, if you go ultra budget,

for accomodation, you're already going to need 35000 yen (to be safe)

and for food, and more tickets and shopping.

may add up to one or two hundred thousand yen if you're very careful

This is very useful.

if you need any help feel free to PM me

Thanks bro for your feedback..im working out my budget and plans now.:)

anyone know where are those hostels with the capsule type of 'sleeping box'? should be interesting to try.. .

Would appreciate info on Osaka and Kyoto.

we're really spoon-feeding you with info

you could check out on your own right?

if after checking, you need help

feel free to pm me

I think you should have some idea of what you want to do, see etc

EG in Kyoto there are more than 8000 temples, there are also at least 6000 good eating places, and you can spend 3 months there without repeating a single eating place or temple.

Or just see the Neiji-jo, Kiyomizu-dera temple, Golden Pavilon Temple and get out.

In Japan, you can do a eating tour, skiiing, or sight-seeing. Or be the typical Chan Bros Singaporean and try to squeeze all 3 into 5 days.

Its up to you bro.

Then those who have been to these places can direct you to the relevant places or links.

Why not start with wikipedia or even google:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto

And as I said at the beginning of my thread, this is not about repeating what is already written in guide books, which you can find easily. No one here is from JTB...

Cheers

what's the point of starting this thread if we have to do in-depth research on our own.

Subject : Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

Last edited:
I found that staying at the hotels near the Kyoto train station to be pretty cheap, and allows you to take the Shinkansen from Tokyo easily.
Rates can be from 5000Y for a tourist class place which is very comfortable with breakfast thrown in.

Do u guys think SGD1500 is enough for my 6 nights stay there?
ie: accomodation, train pass, food etc...
I heard from my S'pore fren(went there before) that the train pass alone will cost me abt SGD500 for the whole trip.
Correct me if I am wrong....
I intend to travel mostly ard Tokyo most of the time and will be visting a fren in Kyoto also.
as for accomodation, the cheapest I can find is SGD30.
Anyone can help me find any cheaper?
shopping budget will be put aside separately...
Still planninng wat ti do there btw.

Thanks for ur help here.

$30 is pretty good...
You can ask the local JTB Singapore for the train rates, and see if you need all 6 days worth. It is defintely cheaper to buy in SG than over there.

But give yourself a little more for food, it is really tasty. $10-15 per meal is just about it unless you are eating sandwiches, making your own food, or eating instant noodles.

thanks bro...
but still confused abt the train network.
will check with the JTB soon then...

Hi sh_37. Never knew there is a voluntary work-for-free program. Have you done that before? Went to the website and it looks really interesting. Have always wanted to do something like that in Japan :)

I've been doing some research...

To save on accommodation, stay in ryokans or minshuku. A google search told me the prices for a bed(in a 6/8 bed dorm) is around 2,000 - 3,500 yen. Heard that there are cheaper places but i couldnt find them on the net.

If you feel friendly, you can try couch-surfing.

If you wanna escape Singapore for a while, try a voluntary work-for-free program at here: http://www.wwoofjapan.com/main/index.php?lang=en

Hope it helps.