Budget Speech

I cannot believe it that taxpayers money needs to be used to buy 'private' company's buses.

When they raise fares, its always part of the justification that they are 'private' and need to make a profit.

I cannot believe it that taxpayers money needs to be used to buy 'private' company's buses.

When they raise fares, its always part of the justification that they are 'private' and need to make a profit.

if you see 'buses' as a cheaper toys that they buy using public money, it will make you feel better..

it could be worse if the taxpayers' money ended up in some corrupted civil servants' pocket..

for this i would say Job Well Done, CPIB...

pinholecam said:

Well Singapore taxpayers foot the bill for building the MRT tunnels and tracks plus bought the trains too. No diff.

pinholecam said:

Ya hor... Their millions of profit do wat one? Wa lau

if gov does not want to buy , the sbs and smrt does not want to buy.. at the end who lost? us.. so better one of them buy..

Ya hor... Their millions of profit do wat one? Wa lau

sg government seperates the monopoly side of stuff from the contestable side of stuff.

so those things tat leads to natural monopoly, such as building of tracks, building of the electric infra-structure, government control.

mrt tracks are then loaned out if i'm not mistaken, where 2 companies (smrt and sbs), bid for the rights to operate.

electric we use a quota system i think. we got more than 10 companies supplying.

supposed to increase competitiveness and raise efficiency.

if gov does not want to buy , the sbs and smrt does not want to buy.. at the end who lost? us.. so better one of them buy..

No offense intended, but this sort of "LL" mentality is precisely what makes this sort of thing happen.

Just tender additional license to real private operators and see who needs to buck up then :D
Can even make additional 'profit' with the tender/license fees.
The current practice is just protecting the 2 GLC and making taxpayers pay for nothing.

Last edited:
No offense intended, but this sort of "LL" mentality is precisely what makes this sort of thing happen.

Just tender additional license to real private operators and see who needs to buck up then :D
Can even make additional 'profit' with the tender/license fees.
The current practice is just protecting the 2 GLC and making taxpayers pay for nothing.

Well said, bro..

yes, you can tender out license to other operator, but at the end it will cost more to commuter because the other operator wants to make profit as well.

but honestly I dont see the different Gov pay for the road and we still pay road tax with gov pay for the bus and we still pay the bus fare.. at the end, we still need to pay..

Last edited:
S$1.1b spent on buses to include addressing operational cost issues
link, click to read

"The government's plans to spend S$1.1 billion on increasing bus capacity is not just for buying buses, but also address operational cost issues."

"So it's not just about money to buy buses. It's also about how to address some of the operating cost issues over the next 10 years. The primary focus here is to ensure that by doing this, we're able to get a much higher quality of bus service for all Singaporeans. That is the objective of the exercise."

Mr Iswaran's first ministerial community visit since he became a full minister.

if really used Tax payer money to subsidized the transport operator; why does the Transport company use operating cost as one of the main reason to justify for fare increase to PTC :think:

somebody need a tight slap

our transport system is a weird entity. same with mediacorp. they are private entities with heavy public interference.