budget of 1k

Status
Not open for further replies.

integrasky

Feb 18, 2008
good day guys,

newbie here and i am trying to pick up some ropes and seeking good advices from the gurus here... i got appro 800 to 1 k to spent for getting a camera, flash and lens etc.. any guys can recommend...

my friends suggested for me to have nikon.. but whats the diff btw D40, D70 and D80? and how abt olumpics?

thanks ahead... cheers christmas!!!

unless you want an older and second-hand camera body, i would seriously forget about the flash

as for the difference between d40, d70, d80.. google is your best friend. they are all around the same generation, with d70 being one generation back.

what lenses do you want? with your budget, i suggest just sticking to the standard 18-55 kit lens.

as with any other person, i suggest you get an idea yourself, of what you want, what you can live with, what you cannot live without, as every system has its strengths and flaws. then get a feel of the camera, as to how if you get older models, no idea.

at a budget of 1k, with EVERYTHING SECOND HAND from B&S:

1. D80 body ( $700++ ) and SB-600 ( $250++ ) or
2. D80 Kit ( $900++ )
3. D60 Kit ( $600++ ) and SB-600 ( $250++ )

Don't expect exotic lens or cameras with that 1k budget that you have set, and wanting to get everything. You can do without the flash for now, as nikon on board flashes are already good enough for most general use.

understand your needs. D40/D40x/D60 cannot use with older lens. So are you gonna venture into that? or are you gonna be suffering from BBB virus changing to a new body before you start to venture into older lens? and most importantly, what are you gonna be using the DSLR for.

good day guys,

newbie here and i am trying to pick up some ropes and seeking good advices from the gurus here... i got appro 800 to 1 k to spent for getting a camera, flash and lens etc.. any guys can recommend...

my friends suggested for me to have nikon.. but whats the diff btw D40, D70 and D80? and how abt olumpics?

thanks ahead... cheers christmas!!!

Now the very crucial information we need is... what do you plan to shoot?

I recommend getting an old body + a high end lens + kit lens/a cheap tele

With this 1k budget is a must break, but not by much if you buy the right things, say 1.3k?

Honestly, I think its useless to set a budget without knowing what you need, I personally call this a buyer's fallacy (think gambler's fallacy).

Today you buy something with a budget of 1k. When someday you don't like it, whats your new budget? Its most likely 1k again or very close. All in all it will add up.

Therefore, get a good lens as these don't depreciate much, bodies on the other hand, come and go.

I went down this path, and see where I am ending...

350D + Kit Lens
Sigma 20mm F1.8 ($500) + Sigma 70-300 ($210)

3 months later:
Bought: 50mm F1.8 + 55-250mm
Sold: Sigma 20mm F1.8 ($500) + Sigma 70-300 ($210)

3 weeks later:
Bought: Kit lens IS version
Sold: 50mm F1.8
Selling: 55-250
Bought: 85mm F1.8 -$430 (going to sell too)
Planning: 135L

Whats my setup going to be like? 350D + IS Kit lens + 135L (maybe 1.4 TC)
Cost of this final set up? About 1.5k, used carefully, I'll be able to shoot pro looking results, maybe not as high res or noise free as a pro body, but the lens and sharpness will meet my expectations. And well, its only because now I know my style of shooting, that I know what I want to get.

Also note that the budget of 1.5k actually is far cheaper than the intial path i went down. Lucky for me I nearly break even on most of my transactions due to proper care.

I hope this experience I share will help you. By the way I started out with a budget of 600-800 =P

thanks... i am indeed looking only at 2nd hand pieces as i don foresee myself only sticking to one in near future...

hmmm... so based on the budget of abt 800... getting D 60 should be a good target with the normal lenses...

but what exactly is required for newbies to get on? or jus a simple body with normal lenses will do..?

thanks... i am indeed looking only at 2nd hand pieces as i don foresee myself only sticking to one in near future...

hmmm... so based on the budget of abt 800... getting D 60 should be a good target with the normal lenses...

but what exactly is required for newbies to get on? or jus a simple body with normal lenses will do..?

Depends on how long you plan to stay newbie. =)

If you learn fast and truly enjoy it, 1 month later you're not longer newbie. And depends how long you plan to keep your setup too. If its 3 years... 800 budget is only less than 1 dollar a day. Is that what photography is worth to you or not? Only you can answer that.

Now the very crucial information we need is... what do you plan to shoot?

I recommend getting an old body + a high end lens + kit lens/a cheap tele

With this 1k budget is a must break, but not by much if you buy the right things, say 1.3k?

Honestly, I think its useless to set a budget without knowing what you need, I personally call this a buyer's fallacy (think gambler's fallacy).

Today you buy something with a budget of 1k. When someday you don't like it, whats your new budget? Its most likely 1k again or very close. All in all it will add up.

Therefore, get a good lens as these don't depreciate much, bodies on the other hand, come and go.

I went down this path, and see where I am ending...

350D + Kit Lens
Sigma 20mm F1.8 ($500) + Sigma 70-300 ($210)

3 months later:
Bought: 50mm F1.8 + 55-250mm
Sold: Sigma 20mm F1.8 ($500) + Sigma 70-300 ($210)

3 weeks later:
Bought: Kit lens IS version
Sold: 50mm F1.8
Selling: 55-250
Bought: 85mm F1.8 -$430 (going to sell too)
Planning: 135L

Whats my setup going to be like? 350D + IS Kit lens + 135L (maybe 1.4 TC)
Cost of this final set up? About 1.5k, used carefully, I'll be able to shoot pro looking results, maybe not as high res or noise free as a pro body, but the lens and sharpness will meet my expectations. And well, its only because now I know my style of shooting, that I know what I want to get.

Also note that the budget of 1.5k actually is far cheaper than the intial path i went down. Lucky for me I nearly break even on most of my transactions due to proper care.

I hope this experience I share will help you. By the way I started out with a budget of 600-800 =P

thanks bro... :) but based on your knowledge so far... i want to ask whats ur field btw 350D and a nikon D60?

i like shooting natural tings.. like environment.. like expression of people.. i am not looking for studio or event professional lvls.. but hope to have something nice to keep and look back in future... :)

I think if you can forgo buying an external flash now, as even a second-hand flash may cost more about half of your budget. :(

thanks bro... :) but based on your knowledge so far... i want to ask whats ur field btw 350D and a nikon D60?

i like shooting natural tings.. like environment.. like expression of people.. i am not looking for studio or event professional lvls.. but hope to have something nice to keep and look back in future... :)

Nikon D60 Kit. Forget about the external flash for the moment. The built in flash is gd enough for most situation if u don't mind the harsh direct blasts and shadows.

Hi..a $1k budget might be a little tight. Why not forsake your flash to get a better piece of lens first? Do not forget essential stuffs like dry box/cabinet, tripod, mem card, rehargeable batts if u r getting the flash.

If your budget don't allow.. Why not start off with prosumer first? There are some very credible prosumer out there.

With some average lighting conditions, your subject can still look great in a pic with a good lens.
With a bad-average lens, your subject just looks like it's shot with a PnS with good flash.

Just my 2 cents - there many great affordable lens out there, some of which are Manual Focus. It's whether you can live with that or not. Good lens need not be expensive, but at the least start with those which are rated as value for money!

You can learn photography with a basic PNS or prosumer, 1k can get you one unit even first hand. Once you are ready to throw in more money on DSLR, you won't be asking. The time taken to experiment give you the same time to save up for a higher end cam (like DSLR).

You can learn photography with a basic PNS or prosumer, 1k can get you one unit even first hand. Once you are ready to throw in more money on DSLR, you won't be asking. The time taken to experiment give you the same time to save up for a higher end cam (like DSLR).

No offense at all but I feel that this advice is not budget healthy. PNS hardly hold their value and if you're serious, you'll find the IQ rather dismal.

I still think the best budget friendly choice is your ideal high end lens (that will hold value) + a cheap body to start.

----

Anyway, D60 vs 350D, I'll choose 350D (cheaper too I think). But this is more of a Nikon vs Canon thing which we know has no end to it. I personally feel that Nikon's lower models can't fight with Canon's lower models, if you're in Nikon, a D90 or D200 should be on your mind at least. This is personal opinion, Nikonians please dont flame me!

So far, I've no regrets joining Canon. =)

Anyway please share with us what really you plan to shoot, if not anymore advise you get from this point on will just confused you ultimately... Let me perhaps give you some keywords to start with, choose:

Family, Kids, Candids, Concerts, Portraits, Landscapes, Ultra Wide Landscapes, Street, Sports, Indoor sports, Weddings & Other low light events, Abstracts, Insects & Flowers...

These are more basic styles, you may not know exactly what you want really at this point, and also the more styles you dwell into, you have to buy more things, if you can close down and excel in one area, you'll be a really budget shooter, and generally better at what you do. =) Good points for specializing.

Furthermore, how do you know if you need that external flash if you haven't tried the internal flash? =) And actually you can consider a Sigma flash, or other 3rd party flashes for 50-200 dollars. 200 can buy you a very decent one, such as Sigma Super 500 DG (not exact name).

here is a realistic breakdown for Canon.

2nd hand.
Canon 300D $350
18-55mm $150
55-250mm $300
3rd party external flash $100
Tripod $30
36L Dry Cabinet $80
Nikon label Lowepro bag $50
Grip $80

New
4x rechargeable batteries + charger $27.90
Kingston CF Card 8GB $23
Various filters and more..

very easy overshoot $1k.

Personally if you are thinking of getting an external flash, it would be best to get those from the original camera manufacturers. You pay for what you get.... third parties flash sometime have "weird" problem... :confused:

D40/D40x/D60 cannot use with older lens.
What!? No!
In fact D40/D40x/D60 can be used with almost all Nikon lenses, whether old or new, and even pre-AI lenses.
The only problem is if the lens attached does come with a in-built focus motor, then focusing has to be done manually. a.k.a manual focus.

here is a realistic breakdown for Canon.

2nd hand.
Canon 300D $350
18-55mm $150
55-250mm $300
3rd party external flash $100
Tripod $30
36L Dry Cabinet $80
Nikon label Lowepro bag $50
Grip $80
No offence, but 2nd hand/3rd hand Canon cameras and equipment tend to pricey, even though they are old stuff.
Is there a real dslr tripod at $30? That seems to be the pricing for pns tripods.

Well basically, as most have told you, $1k budget is tight, but not impossible. You can stretch your dollar by going for 2nd hand equipment. Don't be skeptic on 2nd hand stuff because they can be really good stuff.

Forget about non-essential items. Things like battery grip, tripod, dry cab, bag can come later. If you're lucky with 1k budget you might be able to get 2 lenses, but of course not the superb quality ones.

I think could be because older are Made in Japan (Parts from Japan) vs newer Made in Japan (Parts from elsewhere) which could be one of the reasons old models still have the selling power.

depends what is termed by real DSLR tripod, to me at $100-ish the Slik U212 is it. Ideally is to use a cheap tripod first to see what suits the shooting style as there are times best may not be the most perfect for the user. These cheap tripods can hold up to 2KG usually so in the meantime is okay for beginners.

Even if dont spend $1k in the beginning, eventually will hit that number so if have enough funds might as well get one shot so can use from day on rather then wait and wait. All this depends on buying power of user.

Budget of 1K is quite manageable wat...

1) Someone is selling D70 + kit lens 18-70 for $600 in BnS
2) SB400 can be had 2nd hand for around $150
3) Benro tripod + ballhead (brand new) costs $120 and up.
4) Drybox $30-$40, Dry cabinet $100

Total between 900-970
It's a decent set, and should satisfy you for quite some time.
Alternatively you can swap the tripod for 50mm/1.8 prime lens, but I still reckon the tripod is a better buy.

Get a nice 40mm or 50mm prime lens and that should be able to cover most things. Nice, sharp and simple. We won't refer to large groupshots, you can always turn that down in the rare event it is needed and let someone else take it with a simple PnS camera.

So far i haven't found reason for getting anything above 100mm in Singapore. But since i'll be travelling to Africa soon i kept a 300mm lens to snipe at things i really should not be going near to. As with my other travel destinations.

Buy what u need for your needs now and consider others later. And consider your future budgeting as well.

Alternatively just get a 2nd hand d80 and a 50mm f1.8 for starters :). The 50mm f1.8 is bang for buck and you can use that to train your composition skills first before upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.