Budget macro for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigereye19

Aug 21, 2007
Hi All Bros/Sis

Newbie with D40 and kit lens 18-70.
Would like to start macro on budget. Any recommendation please.

Many thanks./TM

Sorry, can I ask a question?
Wats the diff between close-up filter and macro lens?
Which is cheaper, and which produce better macro photos?

Hi All Bros/Sis

Many thanks./TM

cheap option is...

reversal ring + 50mm = sharp images.

full manual operation though.

Sorry, can I ask a question?
Wats the diff between close-up filter and macro lens?
Which is cheaper, and which produce better macro photos?

A close up filter is attached to the front of the lens and allows you to come closer to the subject. The close up filter is like a magnifying glass placed in front of the lens.

A dedicated macro lens is designed so that you can come close to the subject.

The quality of picture of a dedicated macro lens is better than placing a close up filter... but the close up filter is much cheaper, e.g. a Hoya 52mm +4 costs about $20.

Hi All Bros/Sis

Many thanks./TM

Since you are on a budget... maybe you can try the following first...

1. Get a close up filter for yoru 18-70 lens.

2. Get a 50mm f/1.8 lens (which is also good for other purposes)... with the following...
a. close up filter
b. extension tubes
c. reversable ring
d. teleconverter

(a) is cheap... so try that first... next cheapest would be (c)... then comes (b) and (d). There are people who do macro shots with these set up.

Have a read at the following:

http://azone.clubsnap.org/insectguide/page01.html

http://www.pictureline.com/newsletter/article.php?id=70

Many thanks for the quick and informative reply.
I hv a simple question, if my interest is on macro and as D40 only auto focuse with AF-S.
As macro is on manual focus anyway, my question is: is perfect for me to get one non-AFS lens since macro is on manual focus right? A Nikon 50mm f1.8 is very good buy and I can do macro with closeup filter to enjoy my macro first.
Please help. Many thanks.

Many thanks for the quick and informative reply.
I hv a simple question, if my interest is on macro and as D40 only auto focuse with AF-S.
As macro is on manual focus anyway, my question is: is perfect for me to get one non-AFS lens since macro is on manual focus right? A Nikon 50mm f1.8 is very good buy and I can do macro with closeup filter to enjoy my macro first.
Please help. Many thanks.

Nikon has a AFS 105mm macro lens... and that is good for macro, esp. if you want to shoot insects as it gives you a greater working distance. When shooting insects, when you come too close, you may scare them away. So, what you can do is to think also what you want to shoot... and if it is insects, get something with a greater working distance... but if you are able to shoot without scaring the insect away, then no problem with 50mm or 60mm lens.

Alot of macro is done manually, which means that you need a tripod... but if you have the AFS 105mm lens, you can autofocus with the D40.

The 50mm 1.8 is a good buy as it is cheap and good (only about $150 2nd hand). You can use the 50mm for other purposes as well... and not for macro... but you can get a +4 close up filter to shoot some macro.

I've tried shooting insects and found that it is not my cup of tea... so I sold away my 60mm macro lens, but bought a close up filter for my 50mm lens... which enables me to come closer to the subject, and that serves me well.

If you are not sure, see if you have friends who could lend you a 50mm lens and if they have a close up filter to try out as well.

What kind of macros do you intend to shoot?

There are many cheapest option highlighted.

Assuming you do not want to incur the cost of an additional 50mm lens,

1) Just get an extension tube for ur existing lens.
Doesn't cost much especially those second hand ones in the market
You will still have whatever metering and contact between the lens and the body if the extension tube allows it ( e,g Kenko ones )

2) Close up filters are convenient as well, but the cheap single element ones will very obviously degrade your picture. The dual element ones cause less of a problem to the picture but pretty expensive. Again the body can meter with the lens

3) A reverse ring is not too expensive an idea. The original Nikon BR2A will cost more than 3rd party. But note that your 18-70mm has a filter size of 67mm, so u will need an additional 67-52mm step down ring. The issue with this setup is u lose all metering and info

Ryan

Nikon has a AFS 105mm macro lens... and that is good for macro, esp. if you want to shoot insects as it gives you a greater working distance. When shooting insects, when you come too close, you may scare them away. So, what you can do is to think also what you want to shoot... and if it is insects, get something with a greater working distance... but if you are able to shoot without scaring the insect away, then no problem with 50mm or 60mm lens.

Alot of macro is done manually, which means that you need a tripod... but if you have the AFS 105mm lens, you can autofocus with the D40.

The 50mm 1.8 is a good buy as it is cheap and good (only about $150 2nd hand). You can use the 50mm for other purposes as well... and not for macro... but you can get a +4 close up filter to shoot some macro.

I've tried shooting insects and found that it is not my cup of tea... so I sold away my 60mm macro lens, but bought a close up filter for my 50mm lens... which enables me to come closer to the subject, and that serves me well.

If you are not sure, see if you have friends who could lend you a 50mm lens and if they have a close up filter to try out as well.

What kind of macros do you intend to shoot?

Why do people always say too close and migh scare them away.
Somtimes,being too cloe you might get bitten.:sweat:

The T/S did mention he wanted a cheaper option of macro.

To have a more comfortable working distance, a good teleconverter or preferably a longer dedicated macro lens, but the costs incurred will be much higher

Ryan

go with the closeup filter first. should cost less than $50 with your D40 kit lens.

if $$ is your primary concern, here's my suggestion:
- 3rd party reversal ring (the Nikon BR-2A is about $25-$28 I think)
- cheap 3rd party lens (I got mine for $45)

how is the results? you can see some of them here http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=350754

good luck!!

So far, I have only gotten curious spiders which will jump on me or the rest of the insects will run or fly away immediately. Never got bitten yet. Just need to be smart.

I won't get too close to a golden orb spider though. ;)

Hi All Bros/Sis

Many thanks./TM

Do you have the 18-55 kit lens? If you do then you can reverse the lens to do macro.

Here's a shot on D40 with a reversed 18-55.
DSC_0342s.jpg

Don't forget to set some budget to get a good flash, remote trigger release (MC-30), and tripod.

Do you have the 18-55 kit lens? If you do then you can reverse the lens to do macro.

Here's a shot on D40 with a reversed 18-55.
DSC_0342s.jpg

Bro, what do u mean by "If you do then you can reverse the lens to do macro."???Sorry Newbie here

Anyway, where can i get find a place that sell a cheap extension tube?

Bro dont buy +1 to +4 all tat got only 1 elements ... Get a +5 got 2 elements but it will cost u more...

Picture taken with 2 pis of +5 Hoya closeup filter...
2262909446_bce97580ec_o.jpg

2230819332_c9ba82ea8c_o.jpg

Hope this will help..;)

Hi All Bros/Sis

Many thanks./TM

just to share my own experience.

when i just started, i also wanted to do micro (dunno why, many ppl when jus started, wanted to do natural photography - which is arguably the most difficult among the many subjects to shoot).

tried for a while, jus cant produce anything presentable, "gave up" soon after.

if u are still quite new to photography, i would suggest u just shoot more general scenes with your kit lens.

learn the basic of photography - steady handholding, composition, exposure, DOF control, shooting spontaneously, capturing the moment... ...

overall, it will be a much more enjoyable and less frustrating experience.

jus my v personal input.

excelglsi, how close do u actually go to take these two shots???Bought ur filter from below???

Seng Cheong Co.,LTD
Room #04-01,ICB Interprise House,116 Middle Road,Singapore 188972

Status
Not open for further replies.