Budget Lens---- Need Advice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benji77 said:
sorry i have not used the TAMRON 24-135 before so i cant comment.

The TAMRON that i have is very sharp for an old manual lens. hang on awhile and i am sure someone with the 24-135 will give a short review.

are you not considering a CANON lens? i saw someone posting a 50mm for quite a reasonable price, maybe you should check it out.
Yep, i am eyeing for canon 50mm f1.8 too.. Since everyone said its agood prime lens and its cheap too.. Think it will be good as a starter lens.. But i really fall in love with a wide angle zoom lens..:lovegrin: So trying to consider which are the good wide angle zoom (like the tamron 24-135mm or 17-35mm or 17-70mm) hahaha;p

redboy872002 said:
:bigeyes: Sigma 28-105 is not good? i never know that!! Thanks isaiahfortythirtyone... ;p Is it not good because its not sharp enough or wat ah?
can you pls elaborate? haha.. Cos for a newbie like me, watever lens that got f2.8 and below seem attractive..:dunno: Thanks for the reply...:D

as the *** MPs would say... "there is no free lunch." 28-105mm f/2.8-4 lens for $320 ONLY? something smells fishy around here. such a huge range but such a big aperture. plus the fact that if you look closely, only one special element is used (ASPH). take a look at the MTF graphs, although not an absolute authority it does give you an idea about sharpness, http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3267&navigator=2

big range + big aperture + small price = fishy. ;p

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
as the *** MPs would say... "there is no free lunch." 28-105mm f/2.8-4 lens for $320 ONLY? something smells fishy around here. such a huge range but such a big aperture. plus the fact that if you look closely, only one special element is used (ASPH). take a look at the MTF graphs, although not an absolute authority it does give you an idea about sharpness, http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3267&navigator=2

big range + big aperture + small price = fishy. ;p

keke... it falls under the MHCU (mai hiam can use) category of lenses. :bsmilie:

tamron, IIRC, has also a similar 28-105/2.8 lens. if not, the current tamron 28-75/2.8 is also a good starter for low-light work.

nightwolf75 said:
keke... it falls under the MHCU (mai hiam can use) category of lenses. :bsmilie:

tamron, IIRC, has also a similar 28-105/2.8 lens. if not, the current tamron 28-75/2.8 is also a good starter for low-light work.
Haaah? so realli realli bad ah? Aiyo, lucky im not that fast to buy this lens.. hahaha... But the tamron 28-105/2.8 is better? Anw, normally u guys rate sigma lens better or tamron ah? Since both are 3rd party.. Thanks for the advice.. :biggrin:

the tamron 28-105mm also has mixed reviews. quite a few people say you have to go to 5.6 before it gets sharp. plus it weighs a ton. ;p

sigma or tamron...both are decent. just be careful when you buy :) make sure you test

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
the tamron 28-105mm also has mixed reviews. quite a few people say you have to go to 5.6 before it gets sharp. plus it weighs a ton. ;p

sigma or tamron...both are decent. just be careful when you buy :) make sure you test
Hmm ok understooded.. :D Aiyah, still cant decide leh, like some lens cover a wide range at the expense of image quality, then also got the reverse (superb quality but small range like 17-35mm) But one thing for sure that im buying 3rd party lens.. So yup, is there any other lens that is particularly gd according to your experience??

Now im considering:
1) sigma 18-125mm
2) tamron 28-105mm
3) sigma 18-50mm
4) tamron 28-75mm

Got the 50mm f1.8 as my first lens to supplement my 350D kit lens. I feel that its a lens that will help train you because of the wide aperture and shallow DOF.. ..and low cost! Great for portraits and low light situation.

but the 50mm like out of stock liao... i ask MS colour and hey say have to take a month for the stock to come. waiting list is a cool 20+ ppl... nikon mount....

WOOHOO!!! Got my 50mm alr this afternoon...

Anyway, got some views about 3rd party lens.. Some say that tamron offers greater quality than sigma though sigma caters to almost every focal range... What do you all think?? Kindly share your experience with 3rd party lens if you have any... Many Thanks!!

I recommend Sigma 18-200mm.....:)

redboy872002 said:
Hmm ok understooded.. :D Aiyah, still cant decide leh, like some lens cover a wide range at the expense of image quality, then also got the reverse (superb quality but small range like 17-35mm) But one thing for sure that im buying 3rd party lens.. So yup, is there any other lens that is particularly gd according to your experience??

Now im considering:
1) sigma 18-125mm
2) tamron 28-105mm
3) sigma 18-50mm
4) tamron 28-75mm
Do remember, that for the 18-125, 28-105, you might need to use flash when shooting in concerts.
For the 18-50, 28-75, you might not have enough reach.
:)

Well, for a budget setup

I would recommend

Sigma 18-200 ( About $450 2nd hand? )
This is an all rounder General Purpose lens

if you're going for an all canon setup
Canon 18-55 ( kit lens )
Canon 28-105 USM II ( Walkabout. Good colours and performance ) $300 used
Canon 75-300 USM II ( Zoom ) $300 used
Canon 50mm f1.8 ( Prime, Night Shot ) $130 used
Just nice for your budget.

Canon 17-85mm @ $800+ is a good General purpose lens, with IS and covers wide to a bit of zoom.

Hey tmfwy... thanks for the advice bro!!! but maybe u didnt notice that i'm using an EOS 10D, which cant fit kit lens (18-55mm) and also 17-85mm... Yup, but the other lenses are quite good too..:)

If you do decide to try third party lens, make sure you buy them with warranty. My experience with the Tamron was disappointing. I had focusing problem and had to be sent overseas for calibration by the Singapore local agent. Waiting time >More than 1 month.

If you have the budget, buy the best lens you can afford. No point having many mediocre lens. I used to make such mistakes ... had a collection of cheap and mid-end lens that didnt work out well enough for me.

For indoor, you need f2.8 at least for versatility. The most affordable is the 50 mm f1.8 of course and it perform very well. For tele, suggest you save up and buy that 70 - 200mm f4L at least. I tried everything from Canon 70 - 300mm, 75 - 300mm, 100 - 300mm etc and found them lacking in various aspects. After started using L lens and having seen the diff in the contrast and sharpness, the rest was history ...

Either buy cheap cheap lens below $300 OR buy that entry level L at about $1200. No point spending on all mid-range lens that can adds up to quite a fair bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.