Budget Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydraulicjump

Oct 18, 2009
hey all,

i'm new to this hobby and i'll be getting my first dslr this coming wk. damn excited. ;) but tt means i would also need to source for a storage for my camera. wanted to get a dry box initially but figured tt i will be lazy sometimes to check the humidity and change the silica gel.

therefore, would like to ask you bros out there can i get a small dry cabinet (<30L) for less than $100? i read from other posts tt carrefour sells cheap dry cabinets. what's the price range of the cabinets there and what brands to they sell? (digicabi or am-pro?) sorry for being so long winded and have so many questions as i have a tight budget and want to source for the best solution.

thanks in advance.

cheers! :)

Hi Bro.
I'm also new to dslr.. gotten a dry box initially.. but then switched to a dry cab.. too lazy like u
:)

bought my digi-cabi from carrefour (30l at 118), and have not regretted using a dry cab.

if u want it less than 100, u can refer to the buy and sell section. there are people selling for less if i'm not wrong.

bro don buy those no brand or cheap one. a Dry cabinet is not expensive...u save abit but spoils easily or don function as it is...not worth:)

bro don buy those no brand or cheap one. a Dry cabinet is not expensive...u save abit but spoils easily or don function as it is...not worth:)
I thought most of the dry cabinets come with 5-year warranty? So, brand or no brand, it should not make that much of a difference. And, dry cabinet is a low tech product so I won't pay too much premium for a branded one if I were you.

hey all,

i'm new to this hobby and i'll be getting my first dslr this coming wk. damn excited. ;) but tt means i would also need to source for a storage for my camera. wanted to get a dry box initially but figured tt i will be lazy sometimes to check the humidity and change the silica gel.

therefore, would like to ask you bros out there can i get a small dry cabinet (<30L) for less than $100? i read from other posts tt carrefour sells cheap dry cabinets. what's the price range of the cabinets there and what brands to they sell? (digicabi or am-pro?) sorry for being so long winded and have so many questions as i have a tight budget and want to source for the best solution.

thanks in advance.

cheers! :)

if budget is a concern do check out 2nd hand ones in the buy/sell threads... just pick one with at least some warranty left...

but then on the other hand, the $20-30 save, better to just get a brand new one.

thanks for all the fast replies man! really appreciate them. alright i guess the best solution is to go look up BnS section to get a 2nd hand one. :) anyway. i've one more question. where can i get those analogue hygrometer?

thanks! :)

oh you mean there r those no brand ones? coz the cabinets tt i've heard of so far r from digicabi and am-pro only.

Do drop by The Camera Workshop at Peninsular Shopping Centre to check if displayed dry cabinets suit your budget. :)

oh okay. tts somewhere new to me. shall go check it out this wkend! thanks bro!

I bought my digi cabi 36L at $108 from MS color, AMK.

I bought my digi cabi 36L at $108 from MS color, AMK.

Bro, you got the DB-036? That is is 30L :)

Just bought mine at Parisilk-HV - $106 w/gst. And mine came 'dead on arrival'. Lucky its the power cable thats spoilt. Donno consider heng or "heng" :bsmilie:

TS, just get a new one. I was contemplating a drybox + silical gel or a used cabi. End up just got a new one. Price differs very little.

Cheers

Bro, you got the DB-036? That is is 30L :)

Just bought mine at Parisilk-HV - $106 w/gst. And mine came 'dead on arrival'. Lucky its the power cable thats spoilt. Donno consider heng or "heng" :bsmilie:

TS, just get a new one. I was contemplating a drybox + silical gel or a used cabi. End up just got a new one. Price differs very little.

Cheers

how to calculate the litres? it shows 34x34x50.. I thought DB-036 means 36L :bsmilie:

I thought most of the dry cabinets come with 5-year warranty? So, brand or no brand, it should not make that much of a difference. And, dry cabinet is a low tech product so I won't pay too much premium for a branded one if I were you.

You'll be surprised. If u get an unpopular brand and when something goes wrong with it, you probably won't be able to find its agent, more so its servicing centre.

My 7-year-old 30L dry cabinet (popular brand here) went bust during its 6th year due to lightning. I brought the burnt dehumidifying unit (without the box) to the agent and had it replaced with a new one for S$50. Better still, the new dehumidifying unit was an improved model. After the replacement, the cabinet was as good as new since the heart of it is actually the dehumidifying unit.

Buying another brand new cabinet would have set me back at least $100.

A 30L digicab is about $110.

5 year warranty, even though most will easily last far longer than 5 years.

But let's take 5 years as a benchmark.

$110/5/360 = $0.06 cents/day.

Your camera equipment costs = $$$$

Assuming just ONE lens gets fungus. How much would it take to get it cleaned, IF you're in time and can get it cleaned thoroughly? Anywhere from $50 - $150?

Which makes more economical sense?

If you factor in the transport costs and lugging the cabinet to your house, instead of the buy and sell forum, it might be better getting a new one from the shops that offer free delivery. A good one lasts for some time, mine is about 4 years and still doing fine.

You'll be surprised. If u get an unpopular brand and when something goes wrong with it, you probably won't be able to find its agent, more so its servicing centre.

My 7-year-old 30L dry cabinet (popular brand here) went bust during its 6th year due to lightning. I brought the burnt dehumidifying unit (without the box) to the agent and had it replaced with a new one for S$50. Better still, the new dehumidifying unit was an improved model. After the replacement, the cabinet was as good as new since the heart of it is actually the dehumidifying unit.

Buying another brand new cabinet would have set me back at least $100.

bro, when you say popular brand. i guess digicabi is one of the more popular brands in singapore or shld i say in this forum right?

If you factor in the transport costs and lugging the cabinet to your house, instead of the buy and sell forum, it might be better getting a new one from the shops that offer free delivery. A good one lasts for some time, mine is about 4 years and still doing fine.
I Bought the db-036 with parissilk they got no delivery so I lug cabi + my new dslr from katong and take bus home hehe, super duper heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.