Budget approved! get the macro+tele or the zoom?

kol1te

Aug 16, 2005
Singapore
Finally my beloved finance minister approved my 3K budget (halved my proposal :sweat:).

I am using D300 along with 35mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8, 18-200mm vr1, tokina 11-16mm.

Don't have any decent macro or tele (very keen on going spider and bird hunt).

Original aim:
Macro - Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR
Tele - Nikon 300mm f4
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR2

Looks like i am have to pick 105mm and 300mm. Any comments on my selections?

Thanks!

Agree with your suggestion... but 300mm seems not enough for birds... hahaha... unless you are using canon, would recommend you to get the 400mm F5.6 instead.

The nikon 105mm 2.8VR is a very good macro lens...

Bird hunt - sigma 150-500mm os hsm.
Insect - tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

The rest of the money get a good flash like sb700 and maybe a ring flash and a good tripod.

Last edited:
My suggestion:

> Macro - Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR (First as from your current lens, no decent macro but got zoom. [You will be left with ard 2K]

Save up for
> Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR2
> TC-20III

The 70-200mm f2.8 is an all time favorite lens. It's IQ is superb. I recommend taking this.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

With the $ limit, I want to fill up the empty spaces in my bag i.e a proper macro and long tele.

By the way, I have a SB900 and a pretty decent carbon fibre tripod. Just lack of good glass. 70-200 costs as much as the 105mm & 300mm combined together - definitely my next target!

300mm doesn't have the reach. With TC14E II, it helps to push a little to 420mm. But what are the side effects of TC17 or TC20?

Probably more hunting in low light and a slight decrease in IQ. I'm not too sure if sharpness is affected though. 300+1.4TC is awesome with no apparent drop in IQ

70-200 VR2 + TC20E III is a good combo. TC20E III has an aspherical lens inside. Go read reviews all the world. On FX it can become 400mm and on DX, it's 600mm!!!

And this combo is less expensive than a 500 or 600mm or even 200-400 and lighter too. More versatile too as you can remove the TC and use the more practical range of 70-200.

IQ (sharpness) of TC20E II or III combo will not be that great, try TC17E instead.

Go for 300mm F4, owned 1 previously very sharp, great color & light.

suggest you consider buying used for your lenes basing on your approved budget ;)

saving can use to buy a decent ring flash & tripod for a good macro & birding photography :D

Last edited:
if for birding: i rather go for 300mm x 1.4TC than 70-200mm + 2xTC. The nikon 2xTC ver III is not that really fantastic....

Thanks guys. I am aiming to get all three of them hopefully this year. :)

Now, just which one or two first and looks like logically 105mm + 300mm + TC14 for my interest in insect and birding.

Later this year, 70-200mm.

300mm + TC14 + D300 = 600mm??

Thanks guys. I am aiming to get all three of them hopefully this year. :)

Now, just which one or two first and looks like logically 105mm + 300mm + TC14 for my interest in insect and birding.

Later this year, 70-200mm.

300mm + TC14 + D300 = 600mm??

yeah it's 300 x 1.4 x 1.5 crop = 630mm in 35mm equiv.

Actually you can consider the 70-200 VRI instead of 70-200 VRII, because their performance are similar except the corner where 70-200 VRII is sharper. Since you are using D300 which will crop away the soft corners, you can get similar performance from both lenses but save up $700-900 bucks to buy other lenses/accessories.

True, 70-200mm vr1 will save me a big amount but no good to me when I go FF in future. Thought it will worth to invest on good glass which normally last much longer than a body.

Used lens is a good choice but I have no experience in buying/checking a used lens. So probably play it safe. :)

Actually you can consider the 70-200 VRI instead of 70-200 VRII, because their performance are similar except the corner where 70-200 VRII is sharper. Since you are using D300 which will crop away the soft corners, you can get similar performance from both lenses but save up $700-900 bucks to buy other lenses/accessories.

You read reviews from forums or you tried it yrself?? the 70-200VR2 is every part and focal length sharper then the vr1.. Try it with a TC and see for yrself... the VR1 is sharper at ard focal 125mm then the vr2 thats all..

Yes, my previous message did say clearly that the VRII version is sharper than the VRI version at corner. Or my message not clear enough?
Below is one of the review website I've read before:
http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm
You read reviews from forums or you tried it yrself?? the 70-200VR2 is every part and focal length sharper then the vr1.. Try it with a TC and see for yrself... the VR1 is sharper at ard focal 125mm then the vr2 thats all..

Last edited:
Yes, my previous message did say clearly that the VRII version is sharper than the VRI version from centre to corner. Or my message not clear enough?
Below is one of the review website I've read before:
http://www.bythom.com/nikkor-70-200-VR-II-lens.htm

You mentioned " performance are similar except the corner where 70-200 VRII is sharper" so now you are saying the vr2 is sharper form center to corners? Prata flipping??:confused:

I said their performance are similar, except the corner part, where the VRII is sharper than VRI. Is that clear? If you still don't understand, I don't know how to make my England more power to help you. Or your England is different to mine? If so, then we can't really communicate here. So just stop it and enjoy the rainy day.
You mentioned " performance are similar except the corner where 70-200 VRII is sharper" so now you are saying the vr2 is sharper form center to corners? Prata flipping??:confused:

Last edited:
I said their performance are similar, except the corner part, where the VRII is sharper than VRI. Is that clear? If you still don't understand, I don't know how to make my England more power to help you. Or your England is different to mine? If so, then we can't really communicate here. So just stop it and enjoy the rainy day.

Hate to spoonfeed you.... but yr england really powderful..." performance are similar, except the corner part, where the VRII is sharper than VRI" is different from " VRII version is sharper than the VRI version from centre to corner"

first is centre is same sharpness but vr2 sharper in corners... the 2nd statement is both centre and corner are sharper for VR2...

Okay, your England is power. I repeat my last and last statement again - their performance are similar except the corner where 70-200 VRII is sharper.
If you don't like, you can report to the Moderator. Peace.

Last edited: