Budget airlines 7kg limit.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
Ever had to tradeoff something you might have needed to fit in that extra lens or accessory?

To be honest... I always ignore the 7kg rule. NOT TO SAID I bring 20kg onboard... but its not more than 8-9kg.

I fly mostly on Budget Airline from SG-Manila... most time, they will check your carry on... but not seriously. Just set up your heavy camera setup and sling it onto yourself. Weight the camera bag (much lighter)... then once you leave the counter, dismantle your camera and put back inside bag.

In recent times a lot of the budget airlines (AirAsia IIRC) have been stricter in enforcing the 7 kg limits, stationing people before you enter immigration to weigh your hand-carry with hand-held scales. Not sure if they are still doing it.

As of 3 days ago when I was checking in at changi, I had 12 kg as carry on. The staff at Tiger told me it was not possible to do this and told me to unload to meet 7kg requirement however they had already dropped my check in luggage. I asked if there was an option to pay for the excess and they said yes however I was not able to bring it on the plane. This got me confused but I played the, I have equipment that is extremely delicate and fragile which I will require for work in China and under no circumstance can I allow it to be rough handled in check in. Not wanting to go through the hassle of recalling my baggage.. they let me go with a warning..

I guess strapping on the camera to your neck would be a good way to lighten the load.

Yes. The popular low cost carriers are still doing so.

While you may be annoyed with the strict enforcement, you ought to be amused when you see the sheer amount of stuff, and indeed, the type of things, people try to hand carry in.

Many people see the 7kg limit as an annoyance or an inconvenience, but what they fail to see is the safety aspects of bringing excessive weight and clutter into the cabin.

What is 1 additional kg, you ask? That's pretty insignificant. But you have to remember - low cost carriers do carry quite a number of passengers per flight. If everyone brings in an additional 1kg, it is quite significant. And passengers carry way more than 7kg.

Jetstar allows 10kg.

While you may be annoyed with the strict enforcement, you ought to be amused when you see the sheer amount of stuff, and indeed, the type of things, people try to hand carry in.

Many people see the 7kg limit as an annoyance or an inconvenience, but what they fail to see is the safety aspects of bringing excessive weight and clutter into the cabin.

What is 1 additional kg, you ask? That's pretty insignificant. But you have to remember - low cost carriers do carry quite a number of passengers per flight. If everyone brings in an additional 1kg, it is quite significant. And passengers carry way more than 7kg.

very true on the way back from china today, they did not enforce the weight limit rule and some people were bringing in hard cased rolleys in with a back pack as well.

very true on the way back from china today, they did not enforce the weight limit rule and some people were bringing in hard cased rolleys in with a back pack as well.

I've seen mega backpacks that clearly do not fit into the basket (to gauge whether it is of correct size) in days past. :bsmilie:

I think the trouble is that Singaporeans are generally smaller sized.

It's very easy to point at someone larger and say that you + your 25 kg luggage still <<<< him (especially if you're a girl). :bsmilie: Certainly the plane has to cater for the possibility of having a whole plane full of large-sized people?

As of 3 days ago when I was checking in at changi, I had 12 kg as carry on. The staff at Tiger told me it was not possible to do this and told me to unload to meet 7kg requirement however they had already dropped my check in luggage. I asked if there was an option to pay for the excess and they said yes however I was not able to bring it on the plane. This got me confused but I played the, I have equipment that is extremely delicate and fragile which I will require for work in China and under no circumstance can I allow it to be rough handled in check in. Not wanting to go through the hassle of recalling my baggage.. they let me go with a warning..

I guess strapping on the camera to your neck would be a good way to lighten the load.
I did that once .. I think mine was 10 kg.

I explained to the staff that this was obviously a recent introduction and it was unfair to expect passengers to adapt so quickly. In any case thereafter I just purchased check-in allowance. The thing with check-in luggage is that you can't get out of the airport ASAP, still have to wait for the luggage to slowly roll out... At some airports, the luggage takes really long... In any case, glad to know that they are still flexible now. :bsmilie:

I did that once .. I think mine was 10 kg.

I explained to the staff that this was obviously a recent introduction and it was unfair to expect passengers to adapt so quickly. In any case thereafter I just purchased check-in allowance. The thing with check-in luggage is that you can't get out of the airport ASAP, still have to wait for the luggage to slowly roll out... At some airports, the luggage takes really long... In any case, glad to know that they are still flexible now. :bsmilie:

This is from Tiger Air website:

Passengers are allowed 2 pieces of carry-on luggage provided that each item does not exceed the dimensions of 54 cm x 38 cm x 23 cm, with a combined weight of 10kg.

I realize this increase in cabin baggage size in May when my family flew to Kuching.

This is from Tiger Air website:

Passengers are allowed 2 pieces of carry-on luggage provided that each item does not exceed the dimensions of 54 cm x 38 cm x 23 cm, with a combined weight of 10kg.

I realize this increase in cabin baggage size in May when my family flew to Kuching.

yup.. this is the latest for Tigerair.
the most strict one i have seen is RyanAir. ground crew just before boarding, made every one lift the hand carry above their head once so that it shows you can handle the luagage without assistance and had the bags placed in a apparatus that shows whether the dimensions of the bag is correct.
needless to say those not used to lifting 10kg over their heads struggled and were immediately pulled out to weigh their bags again.

I usually travel light and am always amazed at what some people bring onboard

I think the trouble is that Singaporeans are generally smaller sized.

It's very easy to point at someone larger and say that you + your 25 kg luggage still <<<< him (especially if you're a girl). :bsmilie: Certainly the plane has to cater for the possibility of having a whole plane full of large-sized people?

Haha! It's not exactly about the weight, but rather the bulk of the hand-carry bags. A lot of things can go wrong during an emergency, and many things need to be done quickly and accurately. While it may be a little too imaginative to say that the excess weight with drop out from the compartments and disrupt the safety procedures, you have to err on the side of caution when dealing with aviation. That's why baggage ought to be at where they belong - at the hold of the plane.

yup.. this is the latest for Tigerair.
the most strict one i have seen is RyanAir. ground crew just before boarding, made every one lift the hand carry above their head once so that it shows you can handle the luagage without assistance and had the bags placed in a apparatus that shows whether the dimensions of the bag is correct.
needless to say those not used to lifting 10kg over their heads struggled and were immediately pulled out to weigh their bags again.

The weight of the carry-on bag should be determined by weighing; and not such a crude method of asking passengers to lift it above their heads.

Ryan Air is wrong to do this. The duty of cabin crew is to assist passengers. Out of 100 maybe 5 need assistance. If they even refuse to do this simple service, then Ryan Air should close shop and let better airlines operate. Airline regulator should not tolerate this.

so far I havent gotten checked yet eh. lol

sometimes my carry on def exceeds the limit.

The weight of the carry-on bag should be determined by weighing; and not such a crude method of asking passengers to lift it above their heads.

Ryan Air is wrong to do this. The duty of cabin crew is to assist passengers. Out of 100 maybe 5 need assistance. If they even refuse to do this simple service, then Ryan Air should close shop and let better airlines operate. Airline regulator should not tolerate this.

hah i thought it looked stupid too. but for 16 pounds to fly from leeds uk to mallorca spain, im even skeptical the airline is paying their staffs right.. :x
but they did caught a couple of smart alecs that had really heavy bags.. they weighed one of those which i saw and the lady had a 17kg bag. reminds me of the reality tv show which i saw in Australia by the then tiger airways. all the jokes that had to wear 7 layers of clothing to pass thru the checkin ins...hilarious :bigsmile:

Haha! Unfortunately, passengers of Ryan Air are rather tolerate of this. It is amazing how we always complain to get things done our way. I have to admit, it is rather effective over here. Nonetheless, it really won't work with Ryan Air. They will happily offload you if you even raise your voice. Ok. That's a slight exaggeration, but the truth is, there are plenty of other passengers to replace you, since flights are regularly overbooked anyway. Offloaded with no refunds. Have fun in the little airport.

Haha! Unfortunately, passengers of Ryan Air are rather tolerate of this. It is amazing how we always complain to get things done our way. I have to admit, it is rather effective over here. Nonetheless, it really won't work with Ryan Air. They will happily offload you if you even raise your voice. Ok. That's a slight exaggeration, but the truth is, there are plenty of other passengers to replace you, since flights are regularly overbooked anyway. Offloaded with no refunds. Have fun in the little airport.

When lowest pricing is their selling point, very very hard to get people to see benefits of paying more.

If photographer caught with overweight (+15kg) carry in bag but inside the bag is 95% camera gear, does anyone know if it is possible "unofficially" to pay to get everything onboard?