Budget $850

Status
Not open for further replies.

haslansalam

Jan 28, 2009
Pasir Ris
If you have a budget of $850 and a newbie. Looking for DSLR with lens. What can you get? I mean 2nd hand... please advice

If you are going Canon, you can probably get a EOS 1000D kit at ard $800. Then maybe add another $50 to get a 50mm f1.8 prime lens for sharper image at a higher shutter speed. ;)

edited: WTB/WTS posts belong in the classifieds forum

Last edited:
If you have a budget of $850 and a newbie. Looking for DSLR with lens. What can you get? I mean 2nd hand... please advice

Firstly, if you are completely unsure of how a DSLR handles, take a trip to a photo shop armed with an SD card and give a couple of the budget models a try (E.g. Canon 400D, Nikon D40, D60 etc) see if you like the SLR viewfinder concept. Some newbies are very put off by having to use the optical viewfinder on a SLR. Its very important to try first before you plonk your cash down!

If you find that DSLRs are for you, there are several nice 2nd hand options from both Canon and Nikon on CS forums. Check out stuff like the Canon EOS350d,400d or Nikon D40. With a standard 18-55mm lens you would likely fall underneath your budget. Ask around before you buy your camera if you need any advice on the forum. There are many helpful people around :)

Firstly, if you are completely unsure of how a DSLR handles, take a trip to a photo shop armed with an SD card and give a couple of the budget models a try (E.g. Canon 400D, Nikon D40, D60 etc) see if you like the SLR viewfinder concept.

May want to bring a CF card also to test, before the 450D model, Canon uses only CF card for the dslr.... :)

Try the Sony A200 too.

Either of the systems: Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus offers great cameras and there isn't really any best system. Perhaps you can do a little research on each system to see the pros and cons of each system and work around your budget. But first of all, what are you going to shoot? Are you ready for a DSLR? Are you willing to invest in the costly lenses and a dry cabinet? Would you consider a bridge cam instead?

I suppose you can get second hand if you are comfortable in checking for common faults in DSLR. Otherwise, why not get first hand to be safe...

depends on your skill level. If you are familiar with DSLR functions then for $900 you can get something like Canon 300D + 50mm F/1.8 + 18-55mm IS + 55-250mm IS. Thats a lot of glass.

otherwise can go for those body + 18-55 kit len type of bundle, newer camera so more or less easier interface for new dslr users.

thanks everyone, for a start, i got myself a canon 1000D. Thank you once again

Status
Not open for further replies.