budget $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubyRed

Feb 25, 2007
Hi
I am thinking of buying a camera wih buget S$1000, my wish list is Canon S5, Lumix Fz50, and Sony H9
I like the movie function in Canon S5 ,and the flip screen also,
for the Fz50 I really the Focus ring, bu it heavy right, and I heard that the noise level is high also
And the H9, wow, it has 15x optical zoom, night shot, but noise level is worst among that 3 if I am not wong , the memory stick is really ex....
I would like to buy wide angle len also, since 3 of them are not so good at that.
Please give me some advices ,
Thank you

Your $1k can actually goes a long way, but you'd need to know what is your main shooting style. What do you want to capture mostly? Indoor, outdoor, sports, snapshots etc. I would also recommend you to go to the shops and feel the cameras and see which one you prefer. You can also do some research on how your candidates fare here:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons45/
http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...z1/tz1-gen.php
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...21/page_1.html

Happy hunting! :)

if i'm not wrong, you cannot attach another lens onto these cameras. They are prosumers and have a fixed lens. I have a Sony H2 that is serving me well. Its a good camera to start with

Why not consider the Fujifilm Finepix S6500fd. I love the manual focus and zoom ring. But note that there is no IS on the cam. The good noise lvl at high ISO makes up for it though.

Hope this helps

To hairygorillaz, you can actually attach lens for those cameras by unsing an suitalbe adaptor(number of lens is wuite limited though) :)

To Six-GHz, thank you for the links, anyway, do you have any idea about the video function in the fz50?I dont use that ofen so I dont want to buy a camcoder,
I like to shot outdoor mostly, (planning to do an photo series about places in Singapore for my family and friends, I am foreigner )
thanks ,
enjoy your weekend

I am a user of FZ30 (the earlier generation of FZ50). FZ50 does have movie function, but the other 2 cameras that you mentioned should have that too.
Comparable with FZ30, FZ50 does have an improved ISO, with a little bit of twitching in the mechanism and the new software.

Regarding on the attachment of lens, I found out that FZ30/FZ50 ring diameter does not attract shops to bring in 55mm lenses comparable to others. I have a difficulties in buying a wide angle lens which in the end I have to end up with a step down adapter which defeats the purpose...

First, welcome to Singapore... the land of sunshine, shopping and fines! ;)

FZ50 movie mode, from DCRP Review:

"The movie mode has improved a bit since the FZ30. In addition to being able to record at 640 x 480 (30 fps) with sound, you can now also record in widescreen (16:9). The resolution there is 848 x 480, and the frame rate is also 30 frames/second. Since the included memory card holds between 30 and 40 seconds worth of video, you'll want a larger memory card for longer movies. A 1GB memory card holds about 9.5 minutes of widescreen video and 11 minutes of normal video (recording continues until the card fills up).

For longer movies you can also reduce the resolution (to 320 x 240), the frame rate (to a choppy 10 fps), or both.

Since you operate the zoom manually, it's not surprising that you can zoom in and out to your heart's content while recording video clips. The image stabilization system is active as well.

Movies are saved in QuickTime format using the M-JPEG codec. A capture of the first frame of the movie is saved as JPEG along with the movie."

If I were to choose, I would go for the Canon S5IS - cos it had an excellent older S3IS brother, uses cheapie SD cards and runs on even more cheapie AA batts! Besides, it's the latest product in the market! ;)

I tried the FZ50, and love its excellent zoom ring, but the 2" screen is a pain. Sony? Too expensive proprietary cards and I hate its lopsided shape! (Ok, that's personal!)

Rubyred: So but that means you are limited to lenses like Raynox right? Where the lenses screw onto a ring adapter. But i was more thinking that the TS wanted to change the whole lens. Thats why i said that the lenses are not removable.

I like the movie function in Canon S5 ,and the flip screen also,
....I would like to buy wide angle len also,
for the Fz50 I really the Focus ring, bu it heavy right,
I like to shot outdoor mostly, (planning to do an photo series about places in Singapore for my family and friends, I am foreigner )

Basing on what you're going for, movie, wide-angle, lightweight, outdoors, considerable zooming power and touristy (I'm assuming this), then the closest possible match would be a Lumix TZ-3. All the things you'd want plus it throws in a proven image stabilisation as well! All for about S$600 or so.

Noise wouldn't be much of a problem if majority of your shots are taken outdoors. Of course it doesn't have flip screen, focus ring, or much manual settings. Well, we just gotta make do.:)

Rubyred: So but that means you are limited to lenses like Raynox right? Where the lenses screw onto a ring adapter. But i was more thinking that the TS wanted to change the whole lens. Thats why i said that the lenses are not removable.
sorry , my bad :angel:

Thank you Six-GHz, I used to own S3, agree that it's a great camera :) with most of the things I need,
I think i will have to go down to the shop and try the S5 and FZ50, really like the focus ring in FZ50 :)
To sethkoo, thank you for your info, I will do a search for the wide angle len for the FZ50, I really don't like the idea of having to stand so far from the object to take picture of it, maybe it will have me to decide, the additional wide angle len for S5 is very good if I am not wrong,

wa.... 红宝石, if i m u, i no need to think & i wont hesitate already... i will jump straight and grab the canon s5 is.... the most fantastic pns !

if i'm not wrong, you cannot attach another lens onto these cameras. They are prosumers and have a fixed lens. I have a Sony H2 that is serving me well. Its a good camera to start with

Why not consider the Fujifilm Finepix S6500fd. I love the manual focus and zoom ring. But note that there is no IS on the cam. The good noise lvl at high ISO makes up for it though.

Hope this helps

Yah... why not consider S6500fd? it has manual focus zoom ring too... and it has slightly bigger sensor and low noise and 28mm wide angle lens... compared to 35mm on the FZ50..

Just my $0.02 :)

Hope this helps

Can add Wide Angle Lenses to them too.

Raynox DCR-6600PRO is an example that you can add to the S2/S3/S5 IS. Even the Fuji can add a Wide Angle Lens FXS-6 to it.

i used to own the S2 IS but have since changed to the Fuji 6500fd for the wider Lens and the better ISO.

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.