Bros, which stockphoto program sells our photo faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leobox1

Jun 15, 2008
Hi all,

i'm am sure the pro bros here will know of stockphoto programs. I am so amazed that people will exactly pay for photos we take LOL

I need some advise, of this 2, from your experience which one sells faster? Shutterstock or istockphoto? Istockphoto like very complicated leh..

bro, you may want to check out the photo biz section, think there have been quite a lot of discussion on this already.

btw, speaking as both a photography enthusiast as well as someone who uses photos for work, im not too hot on using stock photo sites as a means of earning income. as i client its possible to pay a few hundred for a photo, while the photographer takes home a full $1.

Is there ever a stock photo program that can sell photos faster than others? Clients may tend to look out more in the better known stock photo agencies but it still depends on whether your photos are good/interesting enough to attract people to pay for them.

LOL oh my hundreds vs $1

even if its shutterstock or istockphoto, if u think its easy to sell, u really need to think 10 times over again..

if u look at the photos that managed to sell, and u feel that they are junk but yet they sell, you have to think 10 times over again. It just means, that you dun even know what will sell and what will not. And very likely if u enroll, ur photos will not sell at all.

And dun even think that once u upload ur photos, the next day there will be ppl buying it. Sorry, sometimes u need to wait for months or even years before ppl even buy it.

And sometimes you may think its very easy for your photos to be accepted, trust me, they are not easy at all.

If ur photo is not sharp, sorry u are out. If your photo has noise, sorry u are out. If you use unsharp mask, sorry u are out, they will ask u to repost without unsharp mask. If ur photo composition sucks, sorry u are out. If your photo colour is too pale, lack contrast, white balance wrong, sorry you are out.

Once u enroll in the istockphoto or shutterstock, u will understand why I say tat the L lenses or the gold ring lenses of nikon are an absolute must have. You will also understand why minimum dslr like D300 or D3 is VERY important.

Once you enter the commercial realm, u have to accept the harsh reality, Equipment MATTERs Everytime.

Do u know that whenever u upload a pic, the stock agency will resize ur pic into various size? for example a 6 megapixel D70s will have their photos resized to XS, S, M, L. With a 1dsMkiii that produces 21 megapixels photo, Its photos will be resized to XS, S,M,L, XL, XXL. A D300 or D3 will only go till XL size.

The bigger the photo, the much more they sell. The $1USD are for the XS sizes. $3USD for S size, $5USD for M Size, $10USD for L Size, $15 USD for XL size, $20 USD for XXL Size.

This is an example of a resize done by istock for images from D300 a 12.1 megapixel cam.
XS: 426 x 292 px
S: 851 x 564 px
M: 1701 x 1129 px
L: 2721 × 1806 px
XL:4288 × 2848 px

oh my god.. then with my humble a590 is, i can go fly kite liao

Don't think about making real money out of stock photo unless u are really talented or a professional. But then again, there's no harm in trying to do so if u see it as a learning process. Pictures which u think are good can easily be rejected by the examiners, and so you go back and reflect on what they say. Eventually, you will improve and take better pictures.

Regarding your question, I will go with IStockphoto.

exclusive will have more $$ mah righT?

exclusive will have more $$ mah righT?

yes, definitely, BUT BUT BUT

NUMBER 1
To be a exclusive member, first of all, u must hit a certain download amount. for istockphoto this is the criteria:

"If you have 250 downloads, a minimum 50% approval rating, and have no royalty-free stock images, vector illustrations, video footage or Flash files available at other agencies, you can join our Exclusive team. Video and audio contributors only need one upload to be approved as an Exclusive contributor"

NUMBER 2
If you sell on more stock websites, u can get more revenue because ur works are exposed to more places, u definitely will have wider exposure to a bigger client base. By being exclusive, u are confined to only istockphoto and cant sell ur works elsewhere

Another reason why its hard to make money.

The pay cheques can only be requested if u have hit a minimal amount of USD$100 (istockphoto)

Every $1usd revenue ur photo sells, u pocket $0.26usd. so u need to see abut $385usd worth of pics to be able to request ur first payout.

For exclusive artist, u pocket $0.40usd per $1usd sale. So it really depends on whether u want wider exposure with other agencies or just stuck at one place.

ok.. BTW shutterstock asking for my PASSPORT upload.. is it ok?? am worried ID theft etc.. why they cant accept my driver ID

anyone upload b4?

any idea on the above??? why need passport? got pple upload b4?

answer to your question is that it all depends on the quality of your photo and the keywords that you post with your image

the main downloaders are design companies who will use the images for their work
so to make money you must shoot what they are looking for

i see.. thanks ortega.. any idea on the passport thingy? did they request it from u

Status
Not open for further replies.