Bros out there pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magz K

Mar 29, 2006
Thomson Rd, Novena
Hello all,

I'm in the middle of finalizing which lens to buy for my Canon 30D. I have choices of Sigma 24-70 f2.8 & Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I'm asking for your opinions on Sigma lenses in particular because recently came to hear a lot of complaints about the brand. Pls share your experiences with your Sigma lenses. Any comments on Tamron also welcome. Thanks a zillion! :D

Best Regards
Magz:cool:

tamron is better for compatibilty(apologize for spelling error) with canon.. sigma wise has a lot of compatibility issues with canon so if u consider sigma u gt to try it and ask ard for others comments... this is just my 2cents comments..

If you are looking for a general zoom lens that allow you to take landscape and portrait, You need a range between 17-50mm or longer becos of the 1.6x crop factor. I agreed that Tamron is better in this range.

Buy Original lens. Is Canon!

Save enough then buy if no enough money.

Magz K said:
Hello all,

I'm in the middle of finalizing which lens to buy for my Canon 30D. I have choices of Sigma 24-70 f2.8 & Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I'm asking for your opinions on Sigma lenses in particular because recently came to hear a lot of complaints about the brand. Pls share your experiences with your Sigma lenses. Any comments on Tamron also welcome. Thanks a zillion! :D

Best Regards
Magz:cool:

i have the 28-75mm on my 30D. its very good, sharp, light and reasonably well made. of course, it doesnt focus as fast as a canon with USM, but i mainly do portrait shots etc, so it works wellenough for me. i bought it on the basis that based on all the reviews i read, it was the best PQ out of all the 3rd party lenses.

the only bad thing i have heard about the tamrons is that sometimes there are soft copies.. but as to how oftenthis occurs, i cant really say.
if you want to be really really kancheong, buy from a shop that will allow a 7 day return, and test the lens exhaustively during that period.

Thanks for the feedback bro. By soft copies u mean spurious ones?!. I used to buy things from MS Color or Alan Photo. Do they sell these ones too!? Alamak!!. :eek:

no its not spurious. its just a QC issue. but when i spoke to florence at MS, she said they have never had any complaints for this model... so must be just a few people complaining on internet..

I have the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, and it's really a fantastic lens for the price! My copy is real sharp from f/4 onwards and only slightly soft at f/2.8. I generally used it as a portrait lens on a 1.6x crop sensor, because 28mm is not wide enough as a walkaround for me at least. It's so good that I did not give it up for the EF 24-70 f/2.8L, but got the EF 17-40L to compliment my Tamron...

If you're looking for one general walkaround lens with a tight budget without sacrificing quality, the new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 looks real good for around $700 the last time I tested it in the shops. If budget is no problem, and if you see yourself staying with APS-C cameras, then the new EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ($1700+) packs a real punch for the crop sensor!

Happy shopping....;)

wonder if the canon mount and the nikon mount is same quality?

How about a used Canon 28-70mm L f2.8? Think some people were selling it for around S$1200 in Buy & Sell earlier. For a few hundred S$ more than the tamron you get USM, "L" quality optics and build. But of course a lot heavier lah...

I would recommend the 28-70mm f/2.8L if you are able to get a good 2nd hand copy. It's of better build, optics quality and speed (personal opinion).

The only downside is the warranty issue and the possibility of waiting for parts in the event you need to send it in for servicing.

danster said:
How about a used Canon 28-70mm L f2.8? Think some people were selling it for around S$1200 in Buy & Sell earlier. For a few hundred S$ more than the tamron you get USM, "L" quality optics and build. But of course a lot heavier lah...

Sigma 18-50/2.8 is a very good lens. So good that i sold away my 50/1.8 and 28-105/3.5-4.5 mk2 after i got it. Of course you may still long for the L lens.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.