Broadband Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

If assuming in my home, I already have subscribed to Maxonline4000 for the entire household via routers

However, I need more bandwidth, so I'm thinking of getting my own dedicated plan for my room. Each room has a cable point.

If I get, say a MaxOnline 6000, would that mean that I'll have all 6000 to myself, and the rest of the household gets the 4000? Or will it make no difference since Starhub will just enable 6000 for teh whole household and I end up losing my 6k to the rest of the household?

Or is the only way for me to subscribe to another service provider, say Singnet or Pacnet?

On a side note, for those 24 month contract periods - does the ISP (Starhub/Singnet/Pacnet) allow you to move the account when you shift house?

Any advice would be appreciated.

MOL4000 and MOL6500 is a plan by itself. Therefore you will have the whole 6500 to urself.

Yes they shld be able to shift ur account to a new address.

;)

vince123123 said:
Hi guys,

If assuming in my home, I already have subscribed to Maxonline4000 for the entire household via routers

However, I need more bandwidth, so I'm thinking of getting my own dedicated plan for my room. Each room has a cable point.

If I get, say a MaxOnline 6000, would that mean that I'll have all 6000 to myself, and the rest of the household gets the 4000? Or will it make no difference since Starhub will just enable 6000 for teh whole household and I end up losing my 6k to the rest of the household?

Or is the only way for me to subscribe to another service provider, say Singnet or Pacnet?

On a side note, for those 24 month contract periods - does the ISP (Starhub/Singnet/Pacnet) allow you to move the account when you shift house?

Forget about S___net & P__Net, you never get the speed you want as what they promised (dedicated bandwidth) stick to your cable, anytime faster although its a shared bandwidth.

You mean you can actually subscribe to different plans and get different bandwith for the same household (like what vince had mentioned - higher speed for his room and slower for the rest of his house)? All along, I thought it's address specific, regardless of how many cable points you have at home.

Or am I reading vince's questions incorrectly? Anyway, even if it's possible, thought it's more worth it to subscribe to just one plan (the one with the higher bandwith) for the entire household than to have 2 different plans ......

vince123123 said:
Hi guys,

Pay more for starhub's fastest service. Config the router to limit bandwidth to certain clients on the network and allocate to yourself more bandwidth. Solves everything :)

longkangman said:
Get more cable modem loh the QOS will do it for you.

LKM,

got any shoots coming soon? :sweat:

One reason why I am considering two plans is because of payment issues. The household plan is being paid by X and my own plan by myself - due to internal issues, it may get difficult to merge and get ONE big plan as suggested. Also, there may lead to further conflicts due to bandwidth hogging etc.

I do recognise the potential of limiting the bandwidth via the router - but that again may cause problems as well.

Hence I'm trying to find out if having two separate plans in the same household would make any difference.

Big Belly said:
You mean you can actually subscribe to different plans and get different bandwith for the same household (like what vince had mentioned - higher speed for his room and slower for the rest of his house)? All along, I thought it's address specific, regardless of how many cable points you have at home.

Or am I reading vince's questions incorrectly? Anyway, even if it's possible, thought it's more worth it to subscribe to just one plan (the one with the higher bandwith) for the entire household than to have 2 different plans ......

vince123123 said:
Hi guys,

Sad to say, you will nt get the whole 6500kbps (6.5Mbps) bandwidth to yourself. Even the 4000kbps(4Mbps), when you connect all ur pcs/nbs via a router, u will not get the full bandwidth. Heard from a relative wrking in Starhub, the speed of 6.5Mbps reaches at full speed oni to your datapoint. Y? Cos from Starhub all the way to the datapoint is running via fibre optics cable. Notice that from the datapoint to your modem is coaxial cable, then RJ 45 cable from modem to PC/NB or router.

As LAN speed is 10Mbps or 100 Mbps, the speed provided by Starhub at 6.5Mbps or 4Mbps is way short of the 10Mbps for LAN. Which means to sae, it will be like first come first serve for bandwith if u connect with router. As the home routers does not have much settings we can play with. If you wan a full bandwith all to yourself, oni dedicated line can do it, but that will mean more expensive plans.

Moreover the speed is oni for downloading, the uploading speed is oni 384kbps and 256kbps for the MOL 6500 and MOL 4000 respectively. Currently i m using the MOL 4000, also connect via router, the bandwith of 4000 is like being shared by the pcs. surfing net sld nt b a prob, but if u are play online game while connected via router, u will tend to lag alot. :confused:

Thanks for the info - my concern isn't so much whether I'll get teh whole advertised rate of 6.5k, but rather whether an additional plan will give me more bandwidth.

Lets say for my 4k plan, right now cos of network congestion etc, I get an average of 1k transfer rate.

Now, when hypothetically, imagine I change that 4kplan to a 6.5k plan, theoretically, I may get around 1.6k transfer rate.

Ok now here's my situation, imagine I retain the 4k plan (which transfers at 1k), and get an additional 6.5k plan (which may get 1.6k) - would the room with the 6.5k plan, get hte full 1.6 which I normalyl would get if the whole house is on 6.5k. Or would the fact that the existence of the 4kplan already in the house mean that I may get much less than that.

There are three possible scenarios:

1. The house gets 6.5k and the room gets 6.5k (taking the larger of the 2 - both are shared resulting in an average of the house getting 0.8 transfer and the room getting the other 0.8 transfer)
2. The house gets 4k and the room gets 6.5k (ideal situation) - meaning the house gets 1k transfer rate and the room gets 1.625 dedicated transfer rate. Nothing the house does or the room does will affect the transfer rate of the other.
3. No difference, if the household has been getting 1k transfer rate, adding an additional 6.5k plan means the whole house still gets 1k/2, and the room gets 1k/2.

Which of this will happen?

Hope I'm making sense

match80 said:
Sad to say, you will nt get the whole 6500kbps (6.5Mbps) bandwidth to yourself. Even the 4000kbps(4Mbps), when you connect all ur pcs/nbs via a router, u will not get the full bandwidth. Heard from a relative wrking in Starhub, the speed of 6.5Mbps reaches at full speed oni to your datapoint. Y? Cos from Starhub all the way to the datapoint is running via fibre optics cable. Notice that from the datapoint to your modem is coaxial cable, then RJ 45 cable from modem to PC/NB or router.

As LAN speed is 10Mbps or 100 Mbps, the speed provided by Starhub at 6.5Mbps or 4Mbps is way short of the 10Mbps for LAN. Which means to sae, it will be like first come first serve for bandwith if u connect with router. As the home routers does not have much settings we can play with. If you wan a full bandwith all to yourself, oni dedicated line can do it, but that will mean more expensive plans.

Moreover the speed is oni for downloading, the uploading speed is oni 384kbps and 256kbps for the MOL 6500 and MOL 4000 respectively. Currently i m using the MOL 4000, also connect via router, the bandwith of 4000 is like being shared by the pcs. surfing net sld nt b a prob, but if u are play online game while connected via router, u will tend to lag alot. :confused:

Perhaps you can write to SH for clarification?

I am not sure if it how the cables are laid & the way the service is provisioned would impose any limitations -- e.g. if they can only provision 1 single subscription to a given address, then maybe you end up sharing the b/w. Or if they are able to guarantee each subscription having its own b/w, then you are fine.

I am sure you have heard complaints from friends staying in HDBs/condos that have a high SH subscription rate complaining of reduced n/w throughput, as all the b/w is shared for that entire building. This resulted in ST's advertising campaign about dedicated b/w vs. shared b/w.

If you do get a reply from SH, do share with us here :).

The speed you get is configure in the cable modem.
I believe Starhub limit the speed to individual modem base on modem MAC address.
In theory, you should be able to have 2 different plans for a single household.
Whether Starhub allow it is another story. You might want to check with Starhub. ;)

I agree with Ola, I asked SH about having 2 cable modems on the same MOL2K (at that time) plan and they said that I would need 2 separate plans if I were to do that.

Having said that, perhaps it's depending on where you live but when I was on MOL2K I got a full 2mbps (as measured by netpersec), and when it was upgraded to MOL4K I checked again and it was 4mbps (actually measured at 4.2).

Your limitations most of the time would be the overseas server you're downloading from ... try something like downloading a patch from www.microsoft.com and you will likely see the true speed that your line is capable of at that particular point in time.

So after waxing lyrical above, I guess my recommendation is to go for it and get the additional plan, based on the constraints you had stated.

Thanks Eric, can I ask where can I get that test "netpersec" to test?

Thanks!

ericp said:
I agree with Ola, I asked SH about having 2 cable modems on the same MOL2K (at that time) plan and they said that I would need 2 separate plans if I were to do that.

Having said that, perhaps it's depending on where you live but when I was on MOL2K I got a full 2mbps (as measured by netpersec), and when it was upgraded to MOL4K I checked again and it was 4mbps (actually measured at 4.2).

Your limitations most of the time would be the overseas server you're downloading from ... try something like downloading a patch from www.microsoft.com and you will likely see the true speed that your line is capable of at that particular point in time.

So after waxing lyrical above, I guess my recommendation is to go for it and get the additional plan, based on the constraints you had stated.

I downloaded it a long time ago, can't remember where to get it now, but a google search should bring it up. If you have trouble finding it, PM me your email and I'll send it to you, I think it's freeware ... but my version may be a bit old, haven't searched for updates.

vince123123 said:
Hi guys,

I would recommend you to subscribe for the maxonline ultimate. It should have no problem.

Hmm as explained before, I thought about it before, but there's two problems:

1. Problems on payment of bills
2. Problems on how to share the bandwidth (how do I know how much to allocate to who? Can I set a percentage? e.g. since MaxUltimate is 30, I set the household to 4/30 and mine to 26/30?) This also means I need a QoS enabled router (which I don't have right now).

Right now there's no good promotions unfortunately....I recalled at Comex, there was a provider which gives a free Macboook with 2 yrs subscription.

alwayschampion said:
I would recommend you to subscribe for the maxonline ultimate. It should have no problem.

vince123123 said:
Hmm as explained before, I thought about it before, but there's two problems:

1. Problems on payment of bills
2. Problems on how to share the bandwidth (how do I know how much to allocate to who? Can I set a percentage? e.g. since MaxUltimate is 30, I set the household to 4/30 and mine to 26/30?) This also means I need a QoS enabled router (which I don't have right now).

Right now there's no good promotions unfortunately....I recalled at Comex, there was a provider which gives a free Macboook with 2 yrs subscription.
dun think u can ve 2 plan under 1 address...coz ur hse cable point are all link together...mayb u can consider using singnet...

Status
Not open for further replies.