Broadband : Pacnet 384K or Singnet 256K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastwatch

Mar 18, 2002
-
Visit site
i'm looking to sign up either one of these plans. any recent or existing users care to comment on costs and reliability?

i'm not concerned with high upload or download speeds, but rather the unlimited usage and no phone costs factor.

cable is out as i got no cable point.

are there any hidden costs? or any hidden penalties? these isp ought to be shot for always keeping these in fine prints.

No experience with PacNet's ADSL service.
I have used SNBB 256Kbps unlimited for 1 year + now
reliability is perfect.
25KBps download speed is constant and reliable.
No hidden charges of any kind.

why not top up a bit and get the 512? not that expensive.

384 is like not-here, not-there. Like newbie0001 said, why not top it to 512? I am using Singnet Broadband 512K unlimited and so far it has been very reliable and consistent. Average speeds of 40-50Kbps.

Regards
CK

I don't use 512 as I find the price difference too much for me. Correct me if I'm wrong but for 512, it's like $78 per month, and 256 is $56 or so? For fastwatch's case, he said he doesn't mind so much for the speed and I'd certainly recommend the 256 one.

Go for singnet. 256kb is perfectly fine man......

no one using pac 384K? i'm currently on pacnet 56K now...so it would be easier for me to retain my current pac mail.

if i sign up with singnet, is there anyway i can hold on to my pac mail?

anybody done this before? or do i have to carry on with my current plan to retain my mail?

Originally posted by fastwatch
no one using pac 384K? i'm currently on pacnet 56K now...so it would be easier for me to retain my current pac mail.

if i sign up with singnet, is there anyway i can hold on to my pac mail?

anybody done this before? or do i have to carry on with my current plan to retain my mail?
If I'm not wrong, you can still hold on to the Pac mail, that's if you continue to subscribe to them. Not sure if Pacnet has an email-only subscription, if they do you should be able to downgrade to that plan.

Subsequently, checking your pacnet mail on the singnet connection shouldn't be a problem, you just have to set the pop3 (incoming) server to the pacnet one, and the smtp (outgoing) server to the singnet one.

my Sn 256k contract is ending next month .... dunno want to continue or terminate

1. Always have down time at between 3 - 5a.m.

2. Encountered modem problem over at IDC, but they insisted my system is the caused. Waited for almost 1 week before they sent some so called "Engineer" down to my place. For more than 3 hrs figuring around still don't know wat happen and almost trying to dismantle my system. Only when he called the IDC to ask the engineer onsite to investigate, then they found out to be their problem.

3. Billing system confusing.:what:

4. Some Helpdesk personel treat you like an idiot. :angry:

Originally posted by extreme2
1. Always have down time at between 3 - 5a.m.

2. Encountered modem problem over at IDC, but they insisted my system is the caused. Waited for almost 1 week before they sent some so called "Engineer" down to my place. For more than 3 hrs figuring around still don't know wat happen and almost trying to dismantle my system. Only when he called the IDC to ask the engineer onsite to investigate, then they found out to be their problem.

3. Billing system confusing.:what:

4. Some Helpdesk personel treat you like an idiot. :angry:

1. really? never experienced it. and it's not because i'm sleeping at that hour. ;p

3. what's so confusing? the amount you have to pay each month is plainly stated.

4. i agree with you on this. and they're always somehow unavailable and you're put on hold for ages before you actually get to hear a human voice.

I'm using a 384Kbps by PacNet.
IMHO, its fast enough. Cannot justify paying $20+ for the 512 which is a little faster.
At least the price for the 384 & 256 is the same, so y not go for 384?

Pacnet tech support not too bad. Dun get disconnected easliy also. My PC is online 24/7 for ur info.

Only thing bad is PacNet billing always have prob...
Overcharge. But easily resolved. Just call & make lots of noise

Originally posted by junyang
starhub maxonline :D

heh..
That's really the way to go if you are looking at fast downloads.

But it's still nothing compared to Magix.. woah man.

I'm currently using Singnet BB 512k, no gripes about it, only the slow download speed (compared to cable).

But upload speed is rather fast.
My peak (not spiked uploads) was almost 30k.

On Singnet 256K...

:complain:

That bleeding thing cuts me off sometimes. I am online, the next moment, I'm not!
It can happen a few times per day if the network is feeling cranky on that day. On other days, it's as smooth as MacDonald's vanilla ice cream.

Other than that, no problems.

Originally posted by Poledra
On Singnet 256K...

:complain:

That bleeding thing cuts me off sometimes. I am online, the next moment, I'm not!
It can happen a few times per day if the network is feeling cranky on that day. On other days, it's as smooth as MacDonald's vanilla ice cream.

Other than that, no problems.

huh?
you experience these problems?
"choi for me", but I have never experienced these problems before.
The internal wiring of your house matters a lot as well.... Could it be your internal wiring that's causing these problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.