Bringing your tripod overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshkoh

Oct 30, 2003
Visit site
Do you guys bring your tripod when you travel overseas? How do you bring it if so? Like do you have to pack it in a special bag and check it in or anything?

joshkoh said:
Do you guys bring your tripod when you travel overseas? How do you bring it if so? Like do you have to pack it in a special bag and check it in or anything?

Some aitlines won't allow you to bring it onboard. So you have to check it in. You can either pack it into your main luggage or as a seperate bag. Think the tripod bag should be sufficient....:) unless you are afraid that it will be damaged.

I always wrap mine in a beach towel and then put in tripod bag and check it in. That being said, it got a couple of dents from the last trip. Baggage handlers must've really knocked it about cos it's quite sturdy.

I dismantle the centre collar and put it in a "hard case" luggage. I did wrap it with those thick clothing or towel.

What kind of tripod bag? I have a Manfrotto 190. Is it possible to get tripod bags from CP, what is the price range?

:D

joshkoh said:
What kind of tripod bag? I have a Manfrotto 190. Is it possible to get tripod bags from CP, what is the price range?

I use a soft Manfrotto bag with shoulder strap. They sell them at CP. Not sure how much (I bought OS). I think that a hard case would be better though for travelling.

joshkoh said:

get a SILK one? Think it cost $10...but not sure if it fits...so better bring down and check.

Wow! U mean tripod cannot just strap onto backpack and board aeroplane ar?!

joshkoh said:

I have a Manfrotto bag for my 190 but don't think it offers too much protection although the tripod is much easier to carry around. For protection, I recycle those A4 bubble pack envelopes: one wrap around the tripod head, the other around the legs, and place it in my hard luggage casing. No problems so far with that method of carrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.