Bringing notebook on Airplanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangyb

Aug 1, 2004
Does anybody knows whether there is a need to get any documentation or paper clearance for the battery of the notebook? I heard some airlines warn against notebook batteries and require certification from the relevant manufacturer/authorities that deem it to be safe.

Does anybody knows whether there is a need to get any documentation or paper clearance for the battery of the notebook? I heard some airlines warn against notebook batteries and require certification from the relevant manufacturer/authorities that deem it to be safe.

I travel frequently with my notebook. I've never encounter that before.

BC

I travel a little myself and so far no such problems. Just bring your laptop.

no problem so far. One encounter I had was with my PDA at KLIA. They just asked me to start the thing that's all.

No prob with notebook at all. You can bring them on-board.

Only problem is that, you'd be requested to switch on and boot up to prove that it is indeed a workable notebook, in case it is just an empty notebook shell containing some explosive electronic parts, during the security check at the gate. This check is a must for UK & US bound flight and if you are taking US/UK airlines. :)

Only problem is that, you'd be requested to switch on and boot up to prove that it is indeed a workable notebook, in case it is just an empty notebook shell containing some explosive electronic parts, during the security check at the gate. This check is a must for UK & US bound flight and if you are taking US/UK airlines. :)

This I have not encounter yet... hmmm... interesting... next time I sit there and count the chimes... Win... Mac... Win... Mac... Win.... Win.... Win.... Mac.... Win... :bsmilie:

they'll ask you to take out the notebook for scanning at changi airport, that's all. :)

right......... they allow you to use your notebook.

but cannot bring batteries on board.:bsmilie:

ic ic ok thanks a lot for all the advice :D

Most airlines do allow laptops on board except that you can't use them when the plane is taking off or landing as it might affect the sensitive equipment of the plane itself

This is normal for US bound flight :thumbsup:

hmm ... they will just ask u 2 turn on ur lappie... 2 c if its real ... dats all.
(BTW dat was my US trip)

This is normal for US bound flight :thumbsup:

I'm constantly traveling between SG and the States (JFK, EWR, MCO, LAX, PVD and SFO), for work. So far I only have to bring my notebook (together with my shoes :bsmilie: ) out for scanning thru the X-rays. Never once I have to turn on the lappie or take out my batteries (Nowadays all dry cell lar)...

Not sure if that's the case when you wear a Middle easter turban or look like Osama. :bsmilie:

I remember when I ask to bring a notebook back for my army camp, i put it beside me. When landing, the notebook fly, haha! :bsmilie: Lucky no kenna charge as notebook still ok. :sweat:

The ironic thing about verifying the operability of a notebook for US bound flights is that when you take the return flight from the US, the security personnel in US airports never ask that you turn the notebook on.

The was a short period of time people had some problem was when lots of news about the laptop battery start catching fire while using or even when switched off.
After Sony replaced those batteries, didn't hear anyone having problems with using laptop on planes anymore.

I travel quite a lot with my laptop. No issue at all.

The powering on the notebook is a fuction of how the local airport security interprets the security requirements. This also appeared to be a Changi requirement only. I was on UA to HK then to SF, need to power up in Sin, but not in HK. Same applied to Sin to Tokyo, power up in Sin, but not in JApan.

Btw, someone posted here indicating that the sony battery will catch on fire even when it is power off? Hmm, that is news to me.

Btw, someone posted here indicating that the sony battery will catch on fire even when it is power off? Hmm, that is news to me.

They developed internal shorts. It's remotely possible that a battery just sitting there could short and get hot enough to burn, but most just simply failed.
I think all the fires were of batteries under charge - the battery shorts internally, but the charger continues to pour power in....

Some one had work had a collection of Mac and Dell batteries that had failed. They kept them pending how to dispose of them properly. When the Apple recall happened, they discovered about 1/4 of their collection of dead Mac batteries were subject to recall, so they packaged them up and sent em in for replacement.

I wonder how many people world-wide had had their laptop battery die, and they just simply bought a new one, when it was a manufacturing fault all along - only their battery 'failed safe' instead of burning.

The last time I was on a plane the laptop rules said you were not allowed to charge the battery. Not that I could - Enconomy doesn't have power points :)

Status
Not open for further replies.