bringing LCD tv overseas

attap seed

Feb 16, 2006
i want to buy a 37" LCD tv for a relative in china.

however, i am worried that the item will damaged after being checked-in (the tv will be travelling along w the passenger rather than using a courier company).

anyone w any experience about this? or have any suggestions?

many thanks.

inform the airport during check-in the item is fragile. they will make arrangements to ensure it will not be knocked about. Changi Airport is good with safe loading.

the problem you face is when you collect baggage overseas in other airport. Other airports may not be so good during unloading. Also, you may have problem carrying it with you as you leave the airport if it is 37inches

Last edited:
Not sure how Changi does it now, but last trip at the Xiamen airport, flying Silkair, If you tell them item is fragile, they will ask you to sign an indemnity form to indemnify them of any liability towards any damage of the items..

And yes, they will give you a big nice sticker with the "Fragile" symbol and they will paste it nicely on the item for you.

inform the airport during check-in the item is fragile. they will make arrangements to ensure it will not be knocked about. Changi Airport is good with safe loading.

btw, if the item is in the original packaging, it should be quite safe as there should be proper cushioning in the package. A bit of knocking shouldn't kill it..

Problem is you may have to pay tax at the destination custom?

Its not worth it - TVs in China are quite cheap.

i've seen many indian nationals hauling LCD TVs in Changi airport and checking them in.

Its not worth it - TVs in China are quite cheap.

i tink LCD are cheaper in spore.

even if at the same price, i still think those available in spore are of somewhat higher quality (imho).

like i went to a major camera shop in shen zheng. their manfrotto tripods are ex like hell, and just "dun feel right".

Lcd tvs are really cheap here in china. LG 42 inch HD LCD cost only Rmb 5200 or about S$1062. Shops even give a trade in of Rmb 400 for any old tv brought in. This is part of the local government stimulus package. I know because I work here and have just bought 263 units of LCD for my company. No excess luggage, no risks and no hassle.

bringing a TV to China is like..... bringing rice to China .....

Indians do that because India does not manufacture and the import duties are high for imported goods . Returning Indian tourists have a duty-free quota too.... so it is logical for them to load up on stuff like this.

From your very action, it seems your relative is staying in a super ulu middle of nowhere place..... in that case buy the latest technology TV is useless if there is no access to HD , blueray and other high end support equiptment to bring the best out of a latest technology tv in the first place.

If you are getting a simple no-frills LCD TV....I suggest to buy a local brand LCD or EVEN a Japanese brand tv in a nearby chinese city . Got local Chinese warranty also works out better for your relative receiving this gift if anything goes wrong with the set

Or just pack a very nice juicy Ang Pow for them equivalent to value of the TV set ..... I am sure that will be the most appreciated

Seriously, dont be a laughing stock at Changi airport .... you will likely be the only one checking in a TV set when the Chinese tourists are checking in their IPads, SK-II's, pharmecuticals and other branded goods that are truly MUCH cheaper outside of china or just plain cannot get in china

Last edited:
bringing a TV to China is like..... bring rice to China

Indians do that because India does not manufacture and the import duties are high for imported goods . Returning Indian tourists have a duty-free quota too.... so it is logical for them to load up on stuff like this.

From your very action, it seems your relative is staying in a super ulu middle of nowhere place..... in that case buy the latest technology TV is useless if there is no access to HD , blueray and other high end support equiptment to bring the best out of a latest technology tv in the first place.

I suggest to buy a local brand LCD or EVEN a Japanese brand tv in a nearby chinese city . Got local Chinese warranty also works out better for your relative receiving this gift if anything goes wrong with the set

Or just pack a very nice juicy Ang Pow for them ..... I am sure that will be the most appreciated

Seriously, dont be a laughing stock at Changi airport .... you will likely be the only one checking in a TV set when the Chinese tourists are checking in their IPads, SK-II's and other branded goods that are truly MUCH cheaper outside of china

nice words, it is so totally true.:thumbsup:

Really? As that would not explain how the aircraft ground handlers went about creating dents and knocking off critical instruments off a multi-million dollar aircraft. :bsmilie:

bringing a TV to China is like..... bringing rice to China .....

If you are getting a simple no-frills LCD TV....I suggest to buy a local brand LCD or EVEN a Japanese brand tv in a nearby chinese city . Got local Chinese warranty also works out better for your relative receiving this gift if anything goes wrong with the set

Or just pack a very nice juicy Ang Pow for them equivalent to value of the TV set ..... I am sure that will be the most appreciated

Seriously, dont be a laughing stock at Changi airport .... you will likely be the only one checking in a TV set when the Chinese tourists are checking in their IPads, SK-II's, pharmecuticals and other branded goods that are truly MUCH cheaper outside of china or just plain cannot get in china

u are right.

my thought is TV is relatively low cost item relative to camera, watches etc.

but tats what he requested (and i do ve the impression that goods Made in Japan/Msia/Spore or Made in China for export are of higher quality), so i am trying to find out if its feasible.

Last edited:
i want to buy a 37" LCD tv for a relative in china.

however, i am worried that the item will damaged after being checked-in (the tv will be travelling along w the passenger rather than using a courier company).

anyone w any experience about this? or have any suggestions?

many thanks.

IS it possible to buy this model or similar ones when you are in China.
Warranty will certain apply.

i am not particular about model/brand (sony, panasonic, LG... ...) etc.

cus i remember the last time i was there (hainan island), the LCDs there are of "obscure" brands (not established international brands that we are familiar), and retailing for 6000 to 10000rmb.

so, when he say he "hoped" for one, i wanted to check if it can be done, and if its worth the effort.

Last edited:
Buy in China lah. I think it will be slightly more expensive due to the 17% sales tax or something. Otherwise, they have what we have. They even have what we don't have. Also you have to consider about warranty issues.

just too risky to check in something like a LCD tee-bee...
might as well buy in china...