Bringing a focus test chart while lens shopping

bojee

Feb 4, 2011
Singapore
Hi all!

Has anyone of you brought a focus test chart while lens shopping? I really would like to bring one because I would like to buy a Sigma lens for my D90. Also, doing this test handheld is ok right?

Dont worry about Sigma. As long under warranty they can do lens adjustment but only the first time is free. Have to book appointment with them first though.

Dont worry about Sigma. As long under warranty they can do lens adjustment but only the first time is free. Have to book appointment with them first though.

Yeah, but the reason why I would like to bring a focus test chart is to avoid the hassle of sending the lens for calibration. I would like to get a decent copy as much as possible.

Don't need to.
Just place on table, focus on something (eg. standing table calendar; lens box, etc) and use the camera self timer to take the shots.

if u really want to do an accurate focus check, both focus test chart + tripod are required. some of the reason for off-focus may be due to handshake rather than actual lens focusing issue.

xperia said:
if u really want to do an accurate focus check, both focus test chart + tripod are required. some of the reason for off-focus may be due to handshake rather than actual lens focusing issue.

One way to get around that is to use flash and force shutter speed up.

One way to get around that is to use flash and force shutter speed up.

Thanks DD. It would be weird to lug around a tripod while testing the lens.

Anyway, has anybody tried bringing a focus test chart to stores to test?

bojee said:

I did once in CP. No big deal.

What lens do you want to get? Mind the minimum focus distance. For some telephoto lenses it's quite long and you need space in the shop. Nothing that you want to do on a Saturday afternoon. Also, don't try this in shops like Bally and other jokers. OP should be fine. Give them a call to check stock.

don't do this during weekends, else somebody might post photo of you testing the lens with tripod, laptop and focusing chart in this forum. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Octarine said:
What lens do you want to get? Mind the minimum focus distance. For some telephoto lenses it's quite long and you need space in the shop. Nothing that you want to do on a Saturday afternoon. Also, don't try this in shops like Bally and other jokers. OP should be fine. Give them a call to check stock.

A Sigma 24mm 1.8

Ok, will do. I'll call them first. Thanks.

don't do this during weekends, else somebody might post photo of you testing the lens with tripod, laptop and focusing chart in this forum. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Hahahahaha yeah I will be discreet. I will just bring a chart and just zoom in on my cam. No tripod and laptop in hand.

:)

if you wanna look more natural, bring along newspaper.

I believe it won't attract as much attention compared to a focusing chart.

Hi all!

Has anyone of you brought a focus test chart while lens shopping? I really would like to bring one because I would like to buy a Sigma lens for my D90. Also, doing this test handheld is ok right?

Actually just use a ruler. I don't usually test it before I buy but I use a ruler to check my lenses if there's doubt. Just handhold. If you use a small aperture, just crank up the ISO since you're just testing focus and not image quality.

Hi all!

Actually just use/borrow a ruler. I don't usually test it before I buy but I use a ruler to check my lenses if there's doubt. Just handhold. If you use a small aperture, just crank up the ISO since you're just testing focus and not image quality.

Actually just use/borrow a ruler. I don't usually test it before I buy but I use a ruler to check my lenses if there's doubt. Just handhold. If you use a small aperture, just crank up the ISO since you're just testing focus and not image quality.

Thanks for the tip. :)

where can we actually get a copy of the focus test chart?