Bring or not to bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monyol

Aug 29, 2005
Hi!..i'm curious,..it seems like most of us in CSers are using DSLR...
And we knew that it is an expensive item...so do you bring all your equipments
to a third world country for a holiday?
Or just bring a p&s camera only:think:
Or is there any insurance plan that can cover our photo equipments?

I will bring, you will regret to leave your best camera and lens at home if you didn't. ;p

Normal travel insurance can cover to some extend, but not really sure if we can purchase special insurance for our gears.

personally in a third world country i would bring 1 film cam and 1 lens and gaffer it till it looks like crap.

I haven't had any experience with insurance but on occasion such companies find ways to weasel their way out of paying, especially if the circumstances surrounding equipment robbery are a little dubious

i will bring......why buy a Porsche in Singapore and not have the guts to drive it out of the country where the open roads are?

Of coz bring with you,you will regret if you need it and you left it at home.Insurrance company in malaysia charge 3% for world wide cover for camera equipment.mine is 1%,cover Malaysia and Singapore.

depends, if its a business trip or a trip with your love one, i will bring a pocket size camera. if its filled with shooting opportunities i will bring the cheapest of its usage camera with me.

Bring your DSLR gear. This is the reason you decided to purchase a DSLR. Capture these moments using the right equipment. ;)

I beg to differ.
Is your trip a solely photographic trip? If so, bring your SLR.
If not, bring a P&S and enjoy the trip.

Don't forget that P&S have pano and movie modes too :)

nutek said:
I beg to differ.

Yes I second that, instead of bringing too much gears, bring along also a pictorial guide book like D&K Eysewitness Guide along to know the history and tales abt each sites you are seeing. This will enhance your travel greatly.

Don't talk about 3rd world countries. I mean, even when travelling, its an absolute shame if u do not carry ur best gear (don't be flashy, common sense will tell u) and when the moment manifested itself, u'll be banging ur head cos ur P&S on-board computer decided that it wasn't 'The Moment', or its too slow.

Personally I'll risk it. Of cos, if u're lucky u might meet some like-minded ppl as well!

nutek said:
I beg to differ.

Perhaps I should have qualified my previous statement. Why should it be "solely" photographic or not? I have taken numerous trips with my gear and enjoyed my time seeing sights without the equipment.

Why don't you put the question back to yourself? Can you afford to loose your DSLR and buy another one? If you can then I am sure the answer would be very obvious right?

Think about your trip - visualise on where you want to go, what you are most likely to see, and then think about what you need and not need. For the list of what you need, see which are the ones mostly used and see if by bringing only those lens, you can compensate with the other lens that you 'need'. In other words, bring as little as you can, whilst maximising what you have brought.

Personally, before the age of the digital (though I am not so old, and its not so long ago)I bought a SLR to take pictures during my trips abroad. This is to capture images and memories. Now, I have bought a DSLR to replace my Coolpix 5700, as I still prefer the flexibility of the SLR systems, be it digital or film. So I will definitely bring what I need for my trip. Of course, I will still take good care of my camera, but the DSLR is still a tool for me.

Photography is still what it is, regardless of the type of cameras used. :sticktong :cool:

agonizing over this as well.
i am going for business trip to europe and US end of oct.
would like to take nice pics with dslr but i had experienced getting mugged on busy street in the middle of the day in a city in europe :cry:
if i choose to bring, any suggestion what kind of bag i should carry to be attract less unwanted attention?

there are insurance for cameras, but very exp to buy. and troublesome too as need to send in equipment for inspection and phototaking.

used to backpack while working overseas. brought along the cam the body and 1-2 lens. sometimes with a tripod(seldom...). use a butt pack combine with a water bladder. so look nothing like camera bag. just be alert when taking pics.

dun assume that go third world county is not safe to bring equip. go anywhere also can kanna mug.

Bring 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.