Bring or dont bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corneliustoh

Dec 16, 2008
Changi
Hey CSers. May seem abit early but would like to ask.
During the June Holidays, I would be going to A'Famosa Resort in Malaysia with my family.
Heard there alot of great shooting opportunities so decided to bring full set full shooting.
But then, Malaysia the crime rate (sry ah, malaysians) quite scary leh.

Bring or dun bring?
I would be there for mostly except for the journey back and forth by car.
If bring kit lens, or wad? I got a 2nd hand tamron 28-75 f2.8 recently too.
and those who went nice? alot photo to take?

Don't flash and show your bling bling. Careful of motorcycle drive-by-ninja-thiefs.

just carry it safely lor. like keep a look out and don't bring unnecessary and expensive stuff..
i mean afterall, many other countries are famous for thefts.... but people still managed to shoot and bring back their cameras safely.

First of all what do you plan to shoot?
Seeing as you own the kit lens and also a prime why not just bring both?
One walkabout lens for lenscape and the prime for low light situation.
Thats what I would pack if I were to go traveling.
Be street smart too I guess.
Always be aware and alert of your surroundings, ask your family members to help keep a look out for you too when you're shooting.
Several pairs of eyes beats a pair of eyes.
Hope that somewhat helps :)

there got a wildlife zoo. 55250 is my first bet in. den got some night cowboy land. tamron 28-75 for low light?
i trying to get as light as possible. so can enjoy while shooting.

no BG, doubt need prime and flashgun.

there got a wildlife zoo. 55250 is my first bet in. den got some night cowboy land. tamron 28-75 for low light?
i trying to get as light as possible. so can enjoy while shooting.

no BG, doubt need prime and flashgun.

heh shoot raw and convert to B/W for super bad light situations.

Ouhhhh you wanna shoot zoo aminals :p
seems like 55-250 would be ur best bet :)
Cowboy thingy I guess ur tammy might be the best.
Although for me I like shooting with the prime.
I'm more of a Primes girl.
Since its in june why not bring both ur tammy and ur prime and shoot outdoors at night and see which one ur more comfortable with?
But then come to think the tammy might be better.
Just my humble opinion.
I wonder what the more seasoned csers will advise. :D

If u are staying at a reputable hotel (better if they have a safe), then u can bring all your gear up. Take what u need for the day and leave the rest @ the hotel. Keep your camera in your bag @ all times, take it out to shoot and keep it soon after. Do not display it around your neck. Keep your camera strap on - when u take your camera out, wrap the strap around your wrist / arm - that way, potential grabbers will think twice about snatch and grab. Keep your sling bag on you at all times, if u need to take it off when u eat, try and choose a seat that makes it difficult for people to snatch your bag - better still if u can wrap the camera bag strap around the chair. Stay in public areas, try not to wander into quiet side alleys etc. Avoid bringing your camera out at night unless u are going to places that u know will be safe.

There is no guarantee that you will be 100% safe, but if u exercise caution, be aware of your surroundings and be lo-profile, you should be quite OK. I have been bringing my cameras up north for a long time. I usually carry them in my sling bag, no big time camera haversack. No issues so far. Anyways, JUne holidays is a busy period for tourists visiting Malacca, so there should be a good crowd.

Enjoy yourself :)

to be really honest, i think malacca is quite okay. i went there during the march holidays, with a shoulder nikon bag.. and most of the time i had my gear hanging on my neck and 1 prime lens in my bag. i even changed my lenses on the streets... nothing happened to me. my father's friend also brought his nikon along, but kept in his sling bag... i think if you pay attention to your gear and don't leave it unattended it should be fine! :)

travel photography often equals to travelling light 1 body, 2 zoom lenses, mini tripod. external flashes would do well if fitted with a slave trigger. for longer trips u need enough battery & more memory (cant say that enough), not gears.

since i have no idea ur fitness level, i think more important is to enjoy the trip, let photography be part of it not the main focus of the trip.

my personal opinion.

:)

Bring a DSLR and a PNS for travel.

If you feel uncomfortable about taking out your DSLR then use a PNS.

Just be aware of your surrounding.

HTH.

Generally i find Melaka a much safer place than say KL or JB. Its a well known tourist spot and the local police in Melaka works hard in keeping the place safe.

But i guess you still have to take the normal precaution of not being to flashy.

Currently, I'm working near Melaka and I bring my bag with 2 primes for walkabout shoot. I just keep it inside my bag when not shooting.

It's safe to shoot openly in Malacca or Penang. However, in KL, I would err on the side of caution.

I have cycled and shoot in Melaka, the shoot bit is very safe, the cycling bit a bit er.. ok you just have to be more daring lah, or I am just more daredevil than average person LOL.
I have done that at night even so long as you are around tourist area or inner city you should be very safe.
I even go to wet market in the morning, the area somewhere around jonker street. Quite safe.

Cycling bit safer if you go in larger group so you are more visible to the cars. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.