Bring my Pentax Kx to Korea

angel82

Jul 8, 2007
hi guy, i plan to go Korea on next year Jan. May i know my Pentax kx can use in winter? thanks :)

hi guy, i plan to go Korea on next year Jan. May i know my Pentax kx can use in winter? thanks :)

I remember some advice that using a lithium batteries (the energizer one that comes with k-x) is a good as it has a greater tolerance for the cold weather.

notwithstanding sandstorm, snowstorm or thunderstorm, most dslrs have no problem being used under normal weather conditions. :bsmilie:

as pointed out. potential problem is batteries, not camera. batteries lose power easily in cold (sub zero) weather.

but for the k-x, no problem. just keep spare AA lithiums in your windbreaker pocket and luggage :thumbsup:

ic, thanks u guy. haha... then i can try my Pentax kx at Korea ;)

When i was in Hokkaido, i went to this simulation room where the temperature was -21 degree C and i was inside for 10 mins with my K-x. No problem taking pictures.

When i was in Hokkaido, i went to this simulation room where the temperature was -21 degree C and i was inside for 10 mins with my K-x. No problem taking pictures.

get it, thanks :)

Hi, Korea winter is very cold. Some days may go to -10 or even lower. The wind chill at night can be bad. The week before Chinese New Year is always freezing.

Bring extra batteries and hide the camera under your coat. Enjoy a good trip :)

korea is fine..
wait till cny period, i'll bring my kx out and take some pictures..
that'll be -25 to -30C
lol then i'll post some results, see if it fails

korea is fine..
wait till cny period, i'll bring my kx out and take some pictures..
that'll be -25 to -30C
lol then i'll post some results, see if it fails

Wow.. you are willing to put your Kx to the extreme test?
After that, if the Kx is still fine, you can certified it like what watch makers do to their watches.
CHRONOMETER or CHRONOMERA. :bsmilie:

oo wad a coincidence... im going korea this coming winter too :D learnt from outside threads that when moving from the outside cold to a warm room, its advisable to put the cam into a ziplock first to prevent sudden condensation internally :D

lets punish the kx this winter :D

oo wad a coincidence... im going korea this coming winter too :D learnt from outside threads that when moving from the outside cold to a warm room, its advisable to put the cam into a ziplock first to prevent sudden condensation internally :D

lets punish the kx this winter :D

really? but why would that help prevent condensation?

err.. based from my guess... its the same concept as when u come out of a cold car and water condenses rapidly on spectacles lenses.

in warm air, more water is allowed to be in the form of water vapour.. when something cold comes into contact, the air around it drops in temperature and the water vapour can no longer sustains its gaseous form and turns into liquid, thus condensation...

probobly when u ziplock it, the seperation barrer between the cold and the warm is the ziplock bag instead of the camera inself, maybe den the condensation will occur on the outer layer of the ziplock instead. just a pure guess... not too sure

Last edited:

remember if u use long zoom...please zoom slowly so as NOT to suck in moisture from the surround air.....i'm sure u dont want to use your lens as a goldfish bowl....

err.. based from my guess... its the same concept as when u come out of a cold car and water condenses rapidly on spectacles lenses.

in warm air, more water is allowed to be in the form of water vapour.. when something cold comes into contact, the air around it drops in temperature and the water vapour can no longer sustains its gaseous form and turns into liquid, thus condensation...

probobly when u ziplock it we can prevent and limit a direct contact between the warm air and the device until the camera becomes back to room temp? maybe den the condensation will occur on the outer layer of the ziplock instead. not too sure hhaa

i agree with your explanation of condensation but the ziploc bag is a little iffy to me...

the coldest thing on the camera would be the metal and the glass (i.e. glass) ... when you take it indoors, its still the coldest part of the camera... ziploc bag notwithstanding...

i thought the camera would just condense inside the ziploc bag... :think: