Bring camera overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy81

Nov 4, 2008
Hi guys, just bought a eos450d, i will be going to shanghai during dec 12th, looking forward to take some pictures there. However, i am worried damage will be done to the camera such as condensation or ... watever due to the temperature change. I think the temperature there will be between 5 to 10 degree celsius..
Any one here has experience bringing ur camera to a colder country? Any points to take note?

Thank you.

bring extra batteries. There are more issues, but u have to use the search function.

If condensation was so damaging, all our SBS bus, office tower, fast-food outlet and coffee joint windows would be destroyed.

Hi guys, just bought a eos450d, i will be going to shanghai during dec 12th, looking forward to take some pictures there. However, i am worried damage will be done to the camera such as condensation or ... watever due to the temperature change. I think the temperature there will be between 5 to 10 degree celsius..
Any one here has experience bringing ur camera to a colder country? Any points to take note?

Thank you.
nothing wrong with using the camera over there. Just that if by some freak of nature if camera condenses whether it will affect the camera internal electronics and if Canon warranty covers the repair costs.

but since the brands keep going on and on about how weather resistant their camera bodies are, should have nothing to worry about.

my concern is the camera lcd freezing point...i really wonder at what temperature the lcd freezes solid.

Last edited:

Thank you.

I believe it's in your manual :)

imo, don't think 5-10 degrees will be a problem at all

Coming from a "colder" country myself (Germany), I find it slightly amusing to see such worries ;)
In Germany, people worry about bringing their cams into a tropical climate, as I've read often enough in German discussion boards :bsmilie:

Something that might happen is that you will have a "foggy" lens when you switch from a cold area (e.g. outside) to a warm aread (inside). So maybe bring something to wipe it clean.

The other important things were already said here by others.

Haha great to see so many feedback, thanks i will read up the manual for more information.
Anyway it is interesting to hear about people from temperate countries worry about their photography equipments when they visit a tropical climate country.

Coming from a "colder" country myself (Germany), I find it slightly amusing to see such worries ;)
In Germany, people worry about bringing their cams into a tropical climate, as I've read often enough in German discussion boards :bsmilie:

haha! interesting... :bsmilie:

but yea, in a 'wonderfully' humid, rainy place like Singapore...dry cabinets are a must, imho, especially if you get caught in the rain with your gear :sweat:

So if i bring my camera to a cold country, what kind of precautions should i take? So i come down from a coach to shoot some pictures, I don't have to worry about condensation? Because the coach will be warmer than the outside.

So if i bring my camera to a cold country, what kind of precautions should i take? So i come down from a coach to shoot some pictures, I don't have to worry about condensation? Because the coach will be warmer than the outside.

You should read the forum and use the search function. Search for 'cold' and you will get hot tips for your gear, including condensation.
Do trust your gear a bit more, man. It's not a Ming vase.

as above said.....

as in the case of the 450D. http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eosdigital4/specifications.html

Working temperature range 0°C - 40°C / 32°F - 104°F
Working humidity 85% or less

if your operating environment is within the range and it conks out, should be valid for servicing. if you like stories, here is one i like..http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=15200190

Last edited:
When you come down from a coach to a cold place, condensation doesn't happen. It happen when you go from a cold place to a warm place, like when you step out of an air con shopping centre or car. So it should only condense when you enter the warm coach from a cool place...

Anyway, search and read up more...

Status
Not open for further replies.