Brighten underexposed pictures, and viceversa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swakoo

Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
I read an article somewhere that if a photo is, say, underexposed, i can put it to photoshop, keep duplicating the layer using one of the function and it will brighten up. Likewise for photosthat are over exposed..

anyone know what is it? i have forgot about it already after reading it.. now like to try...
please advise

duplicate the original layer. then set blending mode to screen. if this makes it too bright for you liking, then set opacity lower... if further brightening is required, repeat the step...

cheers.

showtime said:
duplicate the original layer. then set blending mode to screen. if this makes it too bright for you liking, then set opacity lower... if further brightening is required, repeat the step...

cheers.

hmm i think i read that article in computer times..
something aboutnormalizing.. etc?

showtime said:

cheers.

And the other part of the question.. overexposed...follow showtimes answer as above but change the blend mode to multiply... :)

I use either levels or curves to adjust for exposure, colour correction and contrast all at the same time.

Do you have an under-exposed photo that you would like to share, so we can all try our own methods and compare results?

This would be a great way for CSers to exchange experiences and knowledge.

- Roy

i'm sure i got quite a few, let me try to dig one out

Swakoo said:
i'm sure i got quite a few, let me try to dig one out
shiok or not?
super free now... haha
come find me lei
suffering here...

roygoh said:
I use either levels or curves to adjust for exposure, colour correction and contrast all at the same time.

Do you have an under-exposed photo that you would like to share, so we can all try our own methods and compare results?

This would be a great way for CSers to exchange experiences and knowledge.

- Roy

Hehe.. Not bad, got free labour and free lesson!! :bsmilie:

hahaha.. not shiok. i miss army :(

miss army? then you will be longing for reservist... im doin mine now... sian.

Swakoo said:
I read an article somewhere that if a photo is, say, underexposed, i can put it to photoshop, keep duplicating the layer using one of the function and it will brighten up. Likewise for photosthat are over exposed..

anyone know what is it? i have forgot about it already after reading it.. now like to try...
please advise
Will only works off course if there is detail in the underexposed area, if there is nothing there, then there is nothing to be brightened.....same for the highlights...

hmm haven't try it yet... hope i can get my computer to listen before installing software.. hardware problem :(

yeah i will love reservist.. but just got letter saying i won'tbe doing it for a while.. holding list

ok.. i got this picture that needs to be touch up.. any of you guys can help.. and also teach me how to?

thanks

clubsnap.jpg

ok i see your problem. the subjectsa are underexposed because the camera metered for the bright background.

the screen method i described might not work so well here

1. add a levels adjustment layer
2. brighten it up till the faces look ok
3. on this same adjustment layer, fill the whole layer with black, painting white only over the originally underexposed foreground.

the result will be properly exposed foreground and background.

the screen method will result properly exposed foreground but a blown out background

eagles_creek said:
Sorry to interrupt...

Can you elaborate on pt 3?

How do you paint black and white?

Thanks!

paint on the layer mask of the adjustment layer, to mask or hide the parts which you do not want to be affected by the adjustment layer, like the background. however your photo is too underexposed for the foreground subjects, the jpg levels for the darkest parts like the shadows in the clothes have lost details. even if you use this method, you'll see ugly patches of pixellated black shadows in the clothes. next time use a fill flash for such lighting conditions. or shoot in RAW format, more lattitude for exposure conpensation, and compositing the images you get from the RAW capture.

or if using PS CS, just use shadows/highlights function

Swakoo said:
ok.. i got this picture that needs to be touch up.. any of you guys can help.. and also teach me how to?

As Clown mentions - Use the new Shadow/Highlight feature in CS if you've got it. This picture is a perfect candidate for using it and getting great results. BUT make sure you select the Full Options menu and learn how to use it. Russell Brown does a very good workshop on how to use it properly which i seem to remember is one of the tutorials in PS CS itself.. :)

eagles_creek said:
Sorry to interrupt...

Can you elaborate on pt 3?

How do you paint black and white?

Thanks!

select a brush size that is large or fine enough... select black or white in the foreground color selector... then PAINT...
make sure you are painting on the adjustment layer, not the original layer

Status
Not open for further replies.