Bridge SUCKS, Vista SUCKS, I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
Cut to the chase, this is my problem.

I cannot do any file maintenance activities to selected files.

I have a folder "X" in a HDD. Within X, I ave 4 subfolder X1, X2, X3 and X4. These subfolders were created over a period of 18 months. X, X1, X2 and X3 were copied from a smaller HDD onto the current one. X4 was created directly on the current HDD.

I am unable to do the following in X1, X2 and X3 - delete, move files (to any other folder with either drag and drop or the cut command), labeling, rating, rename (using F2 function key or batch rename), append or replace metadata, basically any file operations.

This applies to all files, raw, tiff, jpeg.

These problems applies to only X1-X3, NOT X4.

The error messages for move is " The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient permission".
The error message for rename is "This file cannot be renamed to to "xxx" because you do not have sufficient permission or it is in use". The file is definately not in use.
The rest, delete, change label or rating, simply nothing happened.

Meanwhile, I can do all the renaming, deleting, moving etc in explorer without problems.

I checked Vista, I have full admin rights as far as I can tell.

Any ideas? Changing to Mac or XP is NOT an option at this point.

I know you can get 3rd party software to do this. I have first party software, explorer to do this, just I like to be able to do it in Bridge.

Cut to the chase, this is my problem.

I cannot do any file maintenance activities to selected files.

I have a folder "X" in a HDD. Within X, I ave 4 subfolder X1, X2, X3 and X4. These subfolders were created over a period of 18 months. X, X1, X2 and X3 were copied from a smaller HDD onto the current one. X4 was created directly on the current HDD.

I am unable to do the following in X1, X2 and X3 - delete, move files (to any other folder with either drag and drop or the cut command), labeling, rating, rename (using F2 function key or batch rename), append or replace metadata, basically any file operations.

This applies to all files, raw, tiff, jpeg.

These problems applies to only X1-X3, NOT X4.

The error messages for move is " The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient permission".
The error message for rename is "This file cannot be renamed to to "xxx" because you do not have sufficient permission or it is in use". The file is definately not in use.
The rest, delete, change label or rating, simply nothing happened.

Meanwhile, I can do all the renaming, deleting, moving etc in explorer without problems.

I checked Vista, I have full admin rights as far as I can tell.

Any ideas? Changing to Mac or XP is NOT an option at this point.

I know you can get 3rd party software to do this. I have first party software, explorer to do this, just I like to be able to do it in Bridge.

There's a software called 'unlocker' that I use for Windows XP. Try to seach for a Vista version of that software.

Else, look for software which can do similar stuff. :)

Thanks. It worked!
Glad I could help. :)
Just take note, some programs (very rarely - Such as Acrobat 8) require UAC to be on at the time of installation. You can turn it off again after the installation and the progam will still run fine. So if you are trying to install something and get some weird error (such as not being able to write to the destination directory) just breifly turn on the UAC, authorize installation, and turn the UAC off again when you're done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.