Bridge over troubled waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelimon

Jan 22, 2007
can't think of a better title. Took this when touring Macau over CNY. Tweaked the curves n colour balance, as well as unsharp mask. however, couldn't get rid of white outline around the face. C&C please, as well as some solutions?? Thanks!

bridgeovertroubledwaters.jpg

opps...didn't notice the tilt until u mentioned it...thanks!
sorry for the lame title, but can't think of anything else.

actually, there is more than just that...

If a subject have a bridge, normally i prefer to see a full bridge, in this case, a panorama view would be great with the guy in 1 corner. The guy in silouette does depict some 'troubled' look, but not 'there' yet... perhaps if he tilt his head down would look really troubled. body gestures does help here.

anyway, composition not bad already...mine just treat as some misc extras... you could actually do layers to darken the shadows and also increase the dynamic range of the sky. but will take some time.

Overall, a bit too dark for my liking though :dunno:

Like the composition. ;)

sometimes, patience is the key in improving the foto. Maybe, you could wait for a while for the lighting and cloud formation to improve.

I think it captures the magical colours and light of twilight. The silhouette boy adds to the pensive mood, excepts that the bridge cut up this sihouette.

Need to change your shooting angle - move left or right, up or down.

But why didnt you see this cut silhouette before you release the shutter?

And I think the title dont matter. You can called it Untitled#237 or Pensive @ Twilight or Melancholia. The picture can speak for itself.

thanks for the comments guys.
yep, it is a tad too dark but that's mainly my own fault cos i set the exposure time to only 1/2000 s. Could have made it brighter in PS but ended up looking too washed out. I do have a brighter version with the same aperture and shutter settings but at higher ISO - didn't use that for PS cos was more grainy and the colour contrast werent that obvious.

P1010163.jpg

i actually kinda like the cloud formation separating the sky into two halves, but then again that's a subjective thing.

P1010163copy.jpg

Rather than say in words I think it is more effective to show what is in my mind.

This is what I would do to your image. (image downloaded from your post)

I have straightened the horizon, processed to bring up the details and colours in the sky and clouds, but nothing can be done to the boy/young man's silhouette. Better if it was not touching the bridge and clearly outlined against the sky.

I also realised it was not twilight but closer to about 4 pm in the afternoon. This occured to me when I am correcting its white balance. (It was corrected using the distance green hills as a reference, if you need to know how I did it.)

And finally it has to be low key to convey the melancholic mood. It can be bright but thats a different picture.

(The pixelation is due to the initial low res in the downloaded jpg.)

yep, u're rite! it was arnd that time. like wad u did, the skies looked dreadfully over-cast n gloomy - adding to the "troubled" element. I went for the purple n red hues 'cos have a bit of a fetish for those ;p but still, thanks for the alternative POV, it is refreshing!

Status
Not open for further replies.