Bridge over tanker.

Alphan77

Dec 13, 2008
dsc0231a.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
- Composition, Freezing a moving moment.
2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
- I am trying to take the bridge, but not just the bridge alone.
3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- Taken under really strong noon sun, but with wind/cloud/fog.
4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
- The size of the Golden Gate and the tanker, a valiant contrast in the 2 huge objects.

very special picture if you ask me.

the picture seems to have some tilt.

dsc0231a.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
- Composition, Freezing a moving moment.
2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
- I am trying to take the bridge, but not just the bridge alone.
3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
- Taken under really strong noon sun, but with wind/cloud/fog.
4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
- The size of the Golden Gate and the tanker, a valiant contrast in the 2 huge objects.

I'm no expert, but I have a few comments and questions.

Maybe the subjects are not the best to portray freezing a moving moment? Because the bridge dont move and the tanker move very slowly.

You definitely achieve taking not just the bridge alone, but the bridge is chopped off. Maybe it would have been better with the whole bridge, and alone? Just a thought.

Sorry the photo didnt work for me.

it looks like a classic and can be reproduced as a classic.

i agree that there looks like there's some perspective tilt. and it looks like its taken on a medium or large format film.

it definitely didn't achieve freezing a moving moment, but i think this managed to capture an era of industrialization.

i'd think many agencies would print this image, but thats IMO.
its an image not only worth printing but blowing it up real big.

Thanks all for your comments.

Really appreciated, and helpful.

You took this on Mt. Alexander I presume, looking at the angle.

When shooting the Golden Gate, it is quite usually the norm to include both towers of the bridge. If only one of the towers is to be captured, you have to be careful not show the ascending lines on the left of the frame. The only pictures I see pulling this off, is when there is thick low fog, that obscures those lines.

I am not sure why you did not capture the entire view of the bridge though. If you travel along the road on Mt Alexander, there are several points where you can get the full view of the bridge. If the view is too wide for your lens, the best view for you will be at Battery Point. You do have to climb over the chains, down along a ledge by the chainlink fence... down to a platform below for the best shot. Do be careful. It is quite dangerous if you are not careful.

And looking at the shadow, you pretty much shot this near noon time. Try to go there during timings with softer lighting. Evenings or mornings are best.

Good luck.

Hi,

This was taken on Battery point, i didn't venture over the fence as the wind was super strong. So i had to cut off the first tower of the bridge, in order to compose the shot with the tanker and without the chain fencing.

I didnt have have 11-16mm then, i really wish i did though!

I do have some full view of the of the bridge, however i felt that they are just "normal" shots of the bridge, this one is a difference.

Oh yes, i wish it was foggy, maybe next time.

Thanks for your feedback.

You took this on Mt. Alexander I presume, looking at the angle.

When shooting the Golden Gate, it is quite usually the norm to include both towers of the bridge. If only one of the towers is to be captured, you have to be careful not show the ascending lines on the left of the frame. The only pictures I see pulling this off, is when there is thick low fog, that obscures those lines.

I am not sure why you did not capture the entire view of the bridge though. If you travel along the road on Mt Alexander, there are several points where you can get the full view of the bridge. If the view is too wide for your lens, the best view for you will be at Battery Point. You do have to climb over the chains, down along a ledge by the chainlink fence... down to a platform below for the best shot. Do be careful. It is quite dangerous if you are not careful.

And looking at the shadow, you pretty much shot this near noon time. Try to go there during timings with softer lighting. Evenings or mornings are best.

Good luck.