Bridal Shot

NormanSelvaraju

Dec 12, 2012
Singapore
Haven't shared for critique for quite a while. Here is one that I'd like some feedback on. Thanks in advance.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The works.
Composition, Camera technique, post processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was gong for the darker more morose mood, as I felt that it'll be nice visual contrast to a model wearing a bridal gown that would typically be presented in a more joyous atmosphere.
I wanted the product to be fit for a fashion mag editorial (relating to something darker or more stylistic in presentation)

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was a posed shot. I directed the model to look as if she were moving away quickly and then suddenly decided to turn around for a quick look.

It was about 1030 in the morning. Slightly harsh lighting all around, somewhat diffused by the foliage. Used my trusty Canon 6D, paired with a Canon 70-200 Mk2 F2.8IS.
Settings : ISO 200, 1/160s, f6.3, focal length 130mm
Flash - Off camera flash. A godox 300 SDI thru a Godox 80om octabox placed at camera left.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like it. one of my favourites. The selective desat was done on purpose. Added abit of glow to the whites. And I love the expression on the model's face that can be interpreted in many different ways.

Sophie Bridal 2 by Above Norm, on Flickr

I think you are trying too hard to make your strobe work in this outdoor shot against the harsh lighting?............. if I were were you I would simply have the model move to to another spot. I reserve my other comments. Hopefully someone can come up with something more constructive. :)

I think you are trying too hard to make your strobe work in this outdoor shot against the harsh lighting?............. if I were were you I would simply have the model move to to another spot. I reserve my other comments. Hopefully someone can come up with something more constructive. :)

Heya. No worries. Please carry one with your comments. No need to hold back. Your critique is welcomed and in fact appreciated.

But do share, what makes you say that? I'm referring to your comment about the flash and the harsh ambient light.

Haven't shared for critique for quite a while. Here is one that I'd like some feedback on. Thanks in advance.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The works.
Composition, Camera technique, post processing.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was gong for the darker more morose mood, as I felt that it'll be nice visual contrast to a model wearing a bridal gown that would typically be presented in a more joyous atmosphere.
I wanted the product to be fit for a fashion mag editorial (relating to something darker or more stylistic in presentation)

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was a posed shot. I directed the model to look as if she were moving away quickly and then suddenly decided to turn around for a quick look.

It was about 1030 in the morning. Slightly harsh lighting all around, somewhat diffused by the foliage. Used my trusty Canon 6D, paired with a Canon 70-200 Mk2 F2.8IS.
Settings : ISO 200, 1/160s, f6.3, focal length 130mm
Flash - Off camera flash. A godox 300 SDI thru a Godox 80om octabox placed at camera left.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like it. one of my favourites. The selective desat was done on purpose. Added abit of glow to the whites. And I love the expression on the model's face that can be interpreted in many different ways.

Hi Norman..after 20 days people dare not comment which i think they don't want to pour cold water.A critque is what it is,the good,the bad and most important...how to improve.

1. The concept: I admire your creativity but I think you are not aware of mass psychology or what people think as normal.When people see a model in wedding dress it's either a happy occasion or a beautiful woman.It's almost automatic association.That said perhaps it's how the concept is excecuted.If you submit in for consideration I think it will end up in the waste bin..sorry.

2. Composition: Athough people think it's automatic or intuitive..the concept determine how the picture should be "arranged". Needless to say it should not be on the spur of the moment although you could if you are lucky your muse inspires you so. But in most cases pre planning various senarios gives a better chance of success.

Let's look at your composition...model looking backwards over left shoulder..yes it can be interpreted in many ways but what is the obvious? That there is something to the right of the photo but there is no hint or clue.Here is what is in my opinion wrong with it as I read someone who said in glamour photography which is "The model/dress must match the background. Either by way of association or your concept of it. In this case morose. Perhaps you can learn from photo journalistic style of the term juxtaposition which is very effective.

The definition of juxtapose: To put (things which are not similar) next to each other.

What do people think of when they see nature (your background)? It's beauty and peace/calm. Not morose is it not?

3.Camera technique/post process: The tools you used are more than adequate when monoflash is rated 300ws (watt seconds).Not as powerful but adequate considering the situation.Plus a good lens. Your landscape perspective may not be as effective or powerful as a portrait/vertical view if you want to show movement a full body shot with a hint of feet would be more right. Again I stress...right model,makeup, matching backgroung and that includes colour too.
All the best.:)

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what One Eyed Jack said. I think the composition could do better with a full body shot rather than just the upper area. I also think this over the shoulder, in motion pose could be made slightly less worrying if the model had a peaceful look about her or a hint of smile. The furrowed brow may not suggest a happy wedding day - but maybe that's the point?

I love the colours you've used. The model's pale skin is quite beautiful and her red hair along with the red autumnal leaves and the dark green trees is really something special.

Keep up the great work!

Hi Norman..after 20 days people dare not comment which i think they don't want to pour cold water.A critque is what it is,the good,the bad and most important...how to improve. 1. The concept: I admire your creativity but I think you are not aware of mass psychology or what people think as normal.When people see a model in wedding dress it's either a happy occasion or a beautiful woman.It's almost automatic association.That said perhaps it's how the concept is excecuted.If you submit in for consideration I think it will end up in the waste bin..sorry. 2. Composition: Athough people think it's automatic or intuitive..the concept determine how the picture should be "arranged". Needless to say it should not be on the spur of the moment although you could if you are lucky your muse inspires you so. But in most cases pre planning various senarios gives a better chance of success. Let's look at your composition...model looking backwards over left shoulder..yes it can be interpreted in many ways but what is the obvious? That there is something to the right of the photo but there is no hint or clue.Here is what is in my opinion wrong with it as I read someone who said in glamour photography which is "The model/dress must match the background. Either by way of association or your concept of it. In this case morose. Perhaps you can learn from photo journalistic style of the term juxtaposition which is very effective. The definition of juxtapose: To put (things which are not similar) next to each other. What do people think of when they see nature (your background)? It's beauty and peace/calm. Not morose is it not? 3.Camera technique/post process: The tools you used are more than adequate when monoflash is rated 300ws (watt seconds).Not as powerful but adequate considering the situation.Plus a good lens. Your landscape perspective may not be as effective or powerful as a portrait/vertical view if you want to show movement a full body shot with a hint of feet would be more right. Again I stress...right model,makeup, matching backgroung and that includes colour too. All the best.:)

Thanks OEJ always appreciate additional input.

I was going for a certain sombre look, despite the fact that it is a wedding dress. From your comment, I can see that my attempt didn't quite succeed.

For the part about the Juxtaposing of elements, again, I think the execution more than the idea is lacking. Because I purposefully underplayed the greenery in the background to make things a little darker. Guess that part needs more work.

Composition and posing are still somethings that I need to work on some more.

I think it's back to the drawing board for this one.

I agree with a lot of what One Eyed Jack said. I think the composition could do better with a full body shot rather than just the upper area. I also think this over the shoulder, in motion pose could be made slightly less worrying if the model had a peaceful look about her or a hint of smile. The furrowed brow may not suggest a happy wedding day - but maybe that's the point? I love the colours you've used. The model's pale skin is quite beautiful and her red hair along with the red autumnal leaves and the dark green trees is really something special. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the note of encouragement.

You are right about the failings of this shot. Looks like I'll need to go and really think about how i can make it better next time.

Cheers!

I am not good in portraiture but just wish to give my comment as a viewer, especially the first thought that came in when i looked at the pic after reading the texts first ( The text set an expectation, and the thought came to me when I finally looked at the picture )

- I was anticipated with a lovely looked back when the description said the bride looked back but what came to my mind is that, she is been hunted and running away in fear.

- The contrast between the gown and the background somehow hurting my eyes when staring at it, preventing me to look in closer. This is especially coming from the area in between her hair and right arm.

Lastly, I would prefer to place her slight to the right, in the middle of the path so that she is in line with the leading lines. The wider path on the right hand side is a bit distracting to my viewing. So, perhaps by moving yourself 2 to 3 steps left, keeping the 1/3 splitting but having her in the middle of path will guide the eyes better and perhaps a better framing in my opinion.

I am not good in portraiture but just wish to give my comment as a viewer, especially the first thought that came in when i looked at the pic after reading the texts first ( The text set an expectation, and the thought came to me when I finally looked at the picture ) - I was anticipated with a lovely looked back when the description said the bride looked back but what came to my mind is that, she is been hunted and running away in fear. - The contrast between the gown and the background somehow hurting my eyes when staring at it, preventing me to look in closer. This is especially coming from the area in between her hair and right arm. Lastly, I would prefer to place her slight to the right, in the middle of the path so that she is in line with the leading lines. The wider path on the right hand side is a bit distracting to my viewing. So, perhaps by moving yourself 2 to 3 steps left, keeping the 1/3 splitting but having her in the middle of path will guide the eyes better and perhaps a better framing in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Appreciate it! The input about the contrast is unsettling. I'll go and try to figure out why. Thanks for that. And yeah on hindsight, the composition could have been better had I kept more space on the left of the photo instead.

Actually, the look back in apprehension was what I was going for. Unfortunate that the description led you astray.

Last edited:
- I was anticipated with a lovely looked back when the description said the bride looked back but what came to my mind is that, she is been hunted and running away in fear.

Lastly, I would prefer to place her slight to the right, in the middle of the path so that she is in line with the leading lines. The wider path on the right hand side is a bit distracting to my viewing. So, perhaps by moving yourself 2 to 3 steps left, keeping the 1/3 splitting but having her in the middle of path will guide the eyes better and perhaps a better framing in my opinion.

Yup agree with the hunting part. First impression with the photo is little red riding hood running from big bad wolf till I read the title. Issue here is to guide the model beside posing, she is having a stone flat face. I used to do bridal long ago and there are some who is really painful when it comes to guiding some of my client to pose as most are over excited and tend to be very stone.

There is a huge empty space to the right on her back which feels awkward.

I will prefer portrait if I am trying this and might try framing.

Just my 2 cent

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah I agree that the word "bridal" in the title throws you off when you look the photo and it doesn't accurately convey the messaging of the photo nor the intent.

Appreciate the comments!