Brenizer method for group shot?

nysheng

Sep 11, 2006
does the Brenizer method work for group shots? I can understand that for portraits it's just one person. but for
group shots, there are maybe 2 rows of people? that means a smaller aperture is required rite? will the intended effect still be there?

Why on earth would you want to use that method for a group shot? Do you really think they will have the patience to wait while you take all the shots needed for stitching?

let's say they do have the patience.. would the effect still be there? has anybody for curiosity's sake tried it?
anyway it wouldn't take that long... 10-20 secs the most?

I just thinking for a group of 2 or 3 in single file, put the subjects on the left or right of the final image will look nice?

Why on earth would you want to use that method for a group shot? Do you really think they will have the patience to wait while you take all the shots needed for stitching?

it is still possible to get it in a single take..... if there is enough budget

it is still possible to get it in a single take..... if there is enough budget

Yes but there's no point - they're not going to notice the "special effect", they just want their picture taken and it's done, right?

Yes but there's no point - they're not going to notice the "special effect", they just want their picture taken and it's done, right?
you are right, they will just want to see their faces, everything sharp sharp and get it done quick quick.

sorry my good bro' , the point is not 'whats the point?' but 'does it work?'

peace out

I dont know whether the person is doing it correctly or not because there are many factors to consider. But one thing for sure, to get the effect, even when you are using an 85mm, you need something like f/1.4 to make it obvious. But f/1.4 would be too shallow a DOF for group shots.

I doubt so, to apply the same technique for getting the thin DOF, you need to take the photos each individuals of the group, plus the photos fore and background, when you stitch all the photos together, can you be certain that the photos consist of people able to merge seamlessly?

catchlights said:
I doubt so, to apply the same technique for getting the thin DOF, you need to take the photos each individuals of the group, plus the photos fore and background, when you stitch all the photos together, can you be certain that the photos consist of people able to merge seamlessly?

I guess more overlapping is needed to get a 'cleaner' photo. Imo.

I guess more overlapping is needed to get a 'cleaner' photo. Imo.
is not about getting more overlapping images for stitching, the issue is about people moved during the capture, than will have mismatch of the stitching.
if capture one image consist all the people to prevent this, than it will not get narrow DOF effect.

catchlights said:
is not about getting more overlapping images for stitching, the issue is about people moved during the capture, than will have mismatch of the stitching.
if capture one image consist all the people to prevent this, than it will not get narrow DOF effect.

TS mentioned the assumption of them standing still for 30 sseconds. Could be realistic, though not highly possible.

if is possible to do it in a single take, provided there is budget. Then there will not be any issue of people moving. The setting up will be laborious though.

if is possible to do it in a single take, provided there is budget. Then there will not be any issue of people moving. The setting up will be laborious though.

....and will there be a point? Other than "for kicks"?

TS mentioned the assumption of them standing still for 30 sseconds. Could be realistic, though not highly possible.

that remind me that those portraiture done more 100years ago, photographers need to set up brackets to hold their subject's heads to be absolute still, in order to capture the images without any motion blur, that is why you don't see those antique portrait have any smiling faces. lol