Breaking the rules, splitting into two

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigel84

Mar 22, 2007
www.flickr.com
Took this pic at Batam, near a restaurant. Realized the almost clean horizon though still littered with specs of civilization, and the beautiful colors of the skies. In my mind i wanted to break the rule of thirds and have the horizon placed in the center of the pic. Please do let me know if this work for you. Cheers.

3031518405_98aa8bcf9b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, for horizon pictures, the rule of thirds isn't really in effect. Anyway, I quite like the pleasant soothing effect of the picture

Took this pic at Batam, near a restaurant. Realized the almost clean horizon though still littered with specs of civilization, and the beautiful colors of the skies. In my mind i wanted to break the rule of thirds and have the horizon placed in the center of the pic. Please do let me know if this work for you. Cheers.

3031518405_98aa8bcf9b_b.jpg

Nice color!
U r not breaking the rule of thirds even thought the horizon is placed center.
The formation of the cloud and the picture was nicely frame that makes the picture look just right!
I like the calmness and surreal feel. :thumbsup:

is the horizon tilted or its a curved thing (im thinking the latter)

anyway nice shot with the colours

itll be nicer if you had nd to bring down the exposure so the water could be nice and clean and the reflection more shoik

is the horizon tilted or its a curved thing (im thinking the latter)

anyway nice shot with the colours

itll be nicer if you had nd to bring down the exposure so the water could be nice and clean and the reflection more shoik

u using ruler arh?
:bsmilie:

u using ruler arh?
:bsmilie:

Think he not using ruler leh. I see with my eyes also notice that the horizon seems to be higher on the right. :bigeyes:

hmm ok will do the correction again on the tilting. Never realised abt it. THanks guys for your feedback!

below is the image corrected with the hozion this time straight, i hope >.<

3033276933_fb8753396b_b.jpg

Rules are fine but also have their usable range. Since you are emphasizing on the reflections between sky and water you need to position the horizon in the centre. That's for symmetries. In result, your clouds and the reflections are roughly at the third-lines :)
Great picture, maybe a tad too cool for my taste. But composition works for me.

Rulers are no use, protractors are better at checking tilt. Haha. Though photoediting software all have the feature to straighten pictures.

I feel that it is okay to break the rule of thirds (where the horizon must lie on a third) in this case, because excellent symmetry is emphasized. In this case, both the water and sky exhibit sufficient interesting elements to warrant a central placement of the horizon line.

Thus, it works for me.

use $50 note....

but looks to me the left is closer than right so might be the natural curvature and trick of distance

nice shot anyway, nothing much to pick on really

Whoa i feel honored sia.... Use $50 to see if my horizon straight a not... haha.... regarding the issue of the left is closer than the right, which is true in this case. I tried adjusting again in Photoshop to get it straight. But i only shifted like 0.15degrees CW. And realized it could be the trick of distance as well. >.<

this photo is good to relieve stress! The colour blue really relaxes the mind.-Heard this from the radio. And i do agree with that

I feel that it is okay to break the rule of thirds (where the horizon must lie on a third) in this case, because excellent symmetry is emphasized. In this case, both the water and sky exhibit sufficient interesting elements to warrant a central placement of the horizon line.

Thus, it works for me.

this photo is good to relieve stress! The colour blue really relaxes the mind.-Heard this from the radio. And i do agree with that

Thanks for the comments, keep it coming. ;)

split horizons can always, always work for reflections, especially perfect ones. everytime someone harps too much about the rule of thirds being a must-follow i'll throw quite a number of reflection photographs at them. but anyways, it works here.

but i would crop this photograph tighter, there is really too much space for my liking. a little is fine, but here it is too much for me.

split horizons can always, always work for reflections, especially perfect ones. everytime someone harps too much about the rule of thirds being a must-follow i'll throw quite a number of reflection photographs at them. but anyways, it works here.

but i would crop this photograph tighter, there is really too much space for my liking. a little is fine, but here it is too much for me.

Hmmm,:think: bro nightmare, you saying I should crop the bottom 1/3 away? At first was thinking of that, but if i do it, the shot will like become panorama shot... Although it would bring the image to a perfect symmetry with the horizon in the center, which is not something i want >.< which made me include the space below... Please advice me, on how to crop away the space below yet not making it too much like a panorama shot. Thanks!

Hmmm,:think: bro nightmare, you saying I should crop the bottom 1/3 away? At first was thinking of that, but if i do it, the shot will like become panorama shot... Although it would bring the image to a perfect symmetry with the horizon in the center, which is not something i want >.< which made me include the space below... Please advice me, on how to crop away the space below yet not making it too much like a panorama shot. Thanks!

no

keep the horizon in the centre, chop some space away, my vision (since i am at school, no photoshop to show) is that the cloud on the lefmost has maybe a little bit of space only.

now that you mention it, panoramic shot does actually work as well.. :devil: what do you have against panos? :)

perfect symmetry works very well with reflections. :)

no

keep the horizon in the centre, chop some space away, my vision (since i am at school, no photoshop to show) is that the cloud on the lefmost has maybe a little bit of space only.

now that you mention it, panoramic shot does actually work as well.. :devil: what do you have against panos? :)

perfect symmetry works very well with reflections. :)

Ooooooooooooh~~~~~~~~~
got it got it... Pano not bad, but expensive when printing... its the $$$ i'm against.... Have the intention to print this out to give someone..

Status
Not open for further replies.