Breaking News: Four bombs hit Thailand's capital

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiama

May 26, 2002
.SG
CNA: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/250033/1/.html

BANGKOK: At least 12 people were injured in Bangkok on Sunday night after four bombs exploded in the Thai capital as revellers were preparing to bring in the New Year, a senior police spokesman said.

The four explosions are thought to have happened within 90 minutes of each other across Thailand's capital, beginning at 5:30 pm (1030 GMT) at central Bangkok's Victory Monument.

"I have received reports of bombs at Victory Monument which injured four people. The second site was at Klong Toey which injured six people, two of them children," Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj, national police spokesman, said on Thai television. Klong Toey is a market in downtown Bangkok.

The third bomb was planted at a police traffic post at an intersection in the north of the city injuring two, he said, while the fourth was also at a police post in the northern suburb of Nonthaburi. No one was injured there.

It was not immediately clear if the bombs had anything to do with a military coup on September 19 that ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, or with an ongoing violent separatist insurgency in the kingdom's south. - AFP/so

Looks like those units on standby here in Singapore will be on high alert.

This is the best time to strike for terrorists.
So many people ushering the new year, easily blend in with people.

1 human bomb can kill hundreds in the crowd.

:rolleyes: :sweat: :rolleyes:

better stay away from crowds.. hmm.. that is to be at home ..oops

looks like i was quite lucky to come home in 1 piece.. lol.. Happy New Year ppl.

saw many cruisers on the streets....those called back for duty on nye...should be cursing those terrorists under their breaths for the whole night... :sweatsm:

was at Esplanade when my friend smsed me about this news.
Supposed to be going Bangkok on this coming Thurs. Hotel n flight booked. Damned... :sweat:

saw many cruisers on the streets....those called back for duty on nye...should be cursing those terrorists under their breaths for the whole night... :sweatsm:

what cruisers?

and don't forget the missing jet fuel in Singapore...

from bbc news, eight bombs involved. spread over various sites. fortunately, casualties have been low.

Just got back from Bangkok few days before the bombings.
Talk about great timing.

so u still going?

As of now, 95% still going, unless from now till Thur there are further bombings.

From what I saw in the map in tonight's Sin Ming , the locations of the bombing do not seem like maximizing the damage/casualty rate . It seems to me that, it were meant to scare Bangkok .

Initial 6 bombings were before midnight and not exactly in the middle of the countdown crowd. Probably that is to allow the authories to cancel the events and disperse the crowds before further bombing.

The locations were not that strategic. If I'm a terrorist, probably I will choose to bomb airport,BTS stations, Railway stations, Thai Stock Exchange building ,a few banks, and the Police Headquarters to inflict the maximum casualty rate and damage to the Thai Economy.

It seems that it could be like what the initial investication suggests, it could be the work of those who lost Political power.

Anyway, like what the Britons said after the 2005 July bombings, Life have to go on. Anyway I guess I will just be more careful , avoid walking too near to parked motorcycles and dustbins. From the 6.30 channel 8 news, 1 of the Singaporeans returning from Bangkok mentioned that after the initial bombings, the dustbins were removed as some of the bombs exploded in dustbins.

Condolences to the injured and dead.

going on friday too....hope situation stabilises. would appreciate clubsnappers based in bangkok to keep us updated too.

From Reuters.

Australia said it feared more attacks and joined Britain and the United States in urging their citizens to stay indoors.

Involvement of Muslim militants, whose insurgency has cost more than 1,800 lives over the past three years but has remained confined to the far south, was a "very remote possibility", Surayud said.

TIGHT SECURITY

Coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, Thailand's first Muslim army chief who cut short his Haj and returned to Bangkok on Monday, ruled out any links to foreign terrorist groups such as al Qaeda.

Security analyst Panitan Wattanayagorn said the bombings appeared to be locally planned and politically motivated, perhaps by those facing corruption probes by the post-coup government.

"Their aim may be to destabilize the government to make sure the accusations against them are dropped or negotiated," the Chulalongkorn University lecturer told Reuters.

Status
Not open for further replies.