Branded School or make yourself BRANDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
nobody is belittling the importance of good parrenting.... neither is anyone saying that going to a good school will make or break a child's life...

what MOST people is saying is getting into a good school will HELP a child in his/her future. That is it. Neither is anyone saying that if you go to a normal school, you are a goner.

Ya we know we know, there is this ABC who when to kampong school and succeeded later in life. But am I going to send my kid to the kampong school where 99 other kids did not really "make it"? NO.

Understand you fully as a parent. So you sent your child to a branded.. assume a AGrade primary school. Unfortunately your child did not make the grade. Then what will you do?

Understand you fully as a parent. So you sent your child to a branded.. assume a AGrade primary school. Unfortunately your child did not make the grade. Then what will you do?

too bad lor. I did my job as a parent by giving him/her the best possible chance for success. If he is an idiot, what to do.....

Anyway it is his/her life. I can't and won't feed him forever. neither will I amass a huge fortune and pass to him.

But I believe given a proper upbringing and conditions, it is highly unlikely my kid will not make the grade. but dunno yet, as me and my wife are DINKs.

(double income no kids)

If you can afford to buy Canon or Nikon, would u buy a panda camera???

too bad lor. I did my job as a parent by giving him/her the best possible chance for success. If he is an idiot, what to do.....

Anyway it is his/her life. I can't and won't feed him forever. neither will I amass a huge fortune and pass to him.

But I believe given a proper upbringing and conditions, it is highly unlikely my kid will not make the grade. but dunno yet, as me and my wife are DINKs.

(double income no kids)

Send him to overseas school!!! :devil:

:think:
nobody is belittling the importance of good parrenting.... neither is anyone saying that going to a good school will make or break a child's life...

what MOST people is saying is getting into a good school will HELP a child in his/her future. That is it. Neither is anyone saying that if you go to a normal school, you are a goner.

Ya we know we know, there is this ABC who when to kampong school and succeeded later in life. But am I going to send my kid to the kampong school where 99 other kids did not really "make it"? NO.

Sorry to contradict you, but getting into a good school will make or break a child's life... BIG TIME..seriously

Send him to overseas school!!! :devil:

That will be disaster, the child will be thinking of going overseas and that will be the ALMOST the endo of him.
If cant do it in Singapore under close supervision do you think the child can make it overseas?

(double income no kids)

U are doing your child a service by sending him to a school you think is best for him? I think importantly is tell and teach him the right values. Working hard, getting to know the type of friends.. such are important in the child's life

Just some suggestions

I'm not belittling good parenting either but as a society (not just Singaporean society but maybe the world as well), our priorities are a little off right now.

When most of the letters in the public realm question the responsibility that an organization outside of the family has in correcting behavior that rightfully belongs to a parent, we have something to worry about.

I know what society is like. Doesn't mean that I agree with it.

Originally Posted by wind30

I second what Yappy said, I think all parents will want the best for their children...who doesn't want their children to have a good education and succeed in life?

A good school, IMO, will provide your child with good teachers, good education system, a good and conducive envirnment, good company of peers, etc.

Of course, you can only do so much for your child, and the rest is really up to him/her.

It is like photography isn't it? You buy the best cameras and lenses you can afford, and how the photos turn out to be, depends on your skills and techniques liao.

branded or not branded, education system produces square and short sighted individuals.

branded or not branded, education system produces square and short sighted individuals.

Nice words... but will be become mankind if there is no education???

photography primary school? :bsmilie:

Why not? Start young and who knows, he maybe another ..god knows who!

I second what Yappy said, I think all parents will want the best for their children...who doesn't want their children to have a good education and succeed in life?

A good school, IMO, will provide your child with good teachers, good education system, a good and conducive envirnment, good company of peers, etc.

Of course, you can only do so much for your child, and the rest is really up to him/her.

It is like photography isn't it? You buy the best cameras and lenses you can afford, and how the photos turn out to be, depends on your skills and techniques liao.

Thank you bros... as parent we want to give the our children the best. We can impart knowledge, values etc but at the end of the day the child chooses his own destiny. U cant be there always. U have to leave them one day.

Yappy & happy

Nice words... but will be become mankind if there is no education???

well, the education system should be reworked a little in my opinion. too much like a mass production factory, even i myself found myself to be a factory product.

in our current system,
parents would always want the best for their children, and in their dreams, they would want their children to become "dragon and phoenixes" if you are familiar with that chinese proverb. they wish for their children to be the top few %, to become doctors, lawyers, scholars, but they have failed to realize nor consider anything else.. if their children based on the best of their abilities, fail to achieve any of these. what other contingencies do they have? and do their own children even have any ambition or aim in life? do they know what they want to be where their passion lies?

the short sightedness of our education system, and a folly of most parents would be to continue harp on the short term goals than everything in the long run for the child's development. when the kid's in kindergarten, the parents would consider and find means to send the child to a branded pri sch. in the branded pri school, the parents would be obsessed with tuition etc, hoping that the child will do well in the PSLE to get to a good secondary school. this goes on, same scenario in secondary school, that the next target is only O levels and nothing beyond. same in JC as well.

and that when these kids leave JC, they will stop to realize, hey, all my life i've been looking at these short term goals, doing the best in them, but i've never considered what i wanted to be, i've never put in effort in learning the things i should have learnt than all these formal education stuff that is not very applicable in reality. and many parents dont realize it as well.

grab any kid off the road, between the age of 13 to 18, ask him what his ambition is, majority will reply you "i dont know!"

quoting my former headmaster, the current director of general education now, the singapore education emphasizes on producing all rounded individuals, --> but in my opinion, 99% come out as squares, only the top 1% or less, become the true jack of all trades but master of none.

well, the education system should be reworked a little in my opinion. too much like a mass production factory, even i myself found myself to be a factory product.

in our current system,
parents would always want the best for their children, and in their dreams, they would want their children to become "dragon and phoenixes" if you are familiar with that chinese proverb. they wish for their children to be the top few %, to become doctors, lawyers, scholars, but they have failed to realize nor consider anything else.. if their children based on the best of their abilities, fail to achieve any of these. what other contingencies do they have? and do their own children even have any ambition or aim in life? do they know what they want to be where their passion lies?

the short sightedness of our education system, and a folly of most parents would be to continue harp on the short term goals than everything in the long run for the child's development. when the kid's in kindergarten, the parents would consider and find means to send the child to a branded pri sch. in the branded pri school, the parents would be obsessed with tuition etc, hoping that the child will do well in the PSLE to get to a good secondary school. this goes on, same scenario in secondary school, that the next target is only O levels and nothing beyond. same in JC as well.

and that when these kids leave JC, they will stop to realize, hey, all my life i've been looking at these short term goals, doing the best in them, but i've never considered what i wanted to be, i've never put in effort in learning the things i should have learnt than all these formal education stuff that is not very applicable in reality. and many parents dont realize it as well.

grab any kid off the road, between the age of 13 to 18, ask him what his ambition is, majority will reply you "i dont know!"

quoting my former headmaster, the current director of general education now, the singapore education emphasizes on producing all rounded individuals, --> but in my opinion, 99% come out as squares, only the top 1% or less, become the true jack of all trades but master of none.

That depends....the road off bukit timah? or the road off the outskirts

That depends....the road off bukit timah? or the road off the outskirts

i've done my share of grabbing individuals from both bishan and bukit timah, and occasionally some others whom i've met in online games, majority remains undecided, only interested in scoring as many A's as possible in upcoming examinations. however i do not intend to rule out that there's still a percentage of decided individuals, whom know where they are and where they would be going.

a common question would be, why take triple science, which is increasingly popular a combination? thats because many of them felt it was the most flexible course that allows one an entry into various diverse pursuits in university later on.

i've done my share of grabbing individuals from both bishan and bukit timah, and occasionally some others whom i've met in online games, majority remains undecided, only interested in scoring as many A's as possible in upcoming examinations. however i do not intend to rule out that there's still a percentage of decided individuals, whom know where they are and where they would be going.

a common question would be, why take triple science, which is increasingly popular a combination? thats because many of them felt it was the most flexible course that allows one an entry into various diverse pursuits in university later on.

dunno leh, my 18 classmates know what they want to do and study, other than 2 blur blur ones.

oh, and tri sci not an "increasing" popular choice. now the jc batch, only around 1-2% take tri sci. (for my school at least)

dunno leh, my 18 classmates know what they want to do and study, other than 2 blur blur ones.

which college do you hail from? :)~ thats heartening to know.

most of the people whom are a little decided on what they want to do, are usually the double math, phy people

which college do you hail from? :)~ thats heartening to know.

most of the people whom are a little decided on what they want to do, are usually the double math, phy people

omg:what:. yeah, i'm from a double maths class.

Status
Not open for further replies.