Brand of UV Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi there, a simple question....

if i want to buy a UV filter, what brand is good? or does brand make no difference cos its just a simple ole UV?

any suggestions for best value for money?

:)

vince123123 said:

if i want to buy a UV filter, what brand is good? or does brand make no difference cos its just a simple ole UV?

Get a multi-coated Hoya. They aren't that expensive. SMC is touted to be better but it's a lot more expensive. I dun see any difference anyway........ other very cheap brands are not advisable especially non-coated ones...... I think if u are paying in the region of $40-60 (all thread sizes) should be about safe lar......

TME said:
Get a multi-coated Hoya. They aren't that expensive. SMC is touted to be better but it's a lot more expensive. I dun see any difference anyway........ other very cheap brands are not advisable especially non-coated ones...... I think if u are paying in the region of $40-60 (all thread sizes) should be about safe lar......

Also highly regarded is Heliopan and B+W. These are more pricey, but are excellent quality. Personally I prefer Skylights, but some others prefer UV.

chriszzz said:
Also highly regarded is Heliopan and B+W. These are more pricey, but are excellent quality. Personally I prefer Skylights, but some others prefer UV.

Actually up to today I haven't seen a definitive explanation for the difference between skylight and UV filters....... skylights are more expensive for Hoya than UV filters...... I personally dun see a difference...... they are just there to protect my lens' front element.....

i was always under the impression that skylight had a slight color cast.

TME said:
Actually up to today I haven't seen a definitive explanation for the difference between skylight and UV filters....... skylights are more expensive for Hoya than UV filters...... I personally dun see a difference...... they are just there to protect my lens' front element.....

vince123123 said:
i was always under the impression that skylight had a slight color cast.

Is it?? I have no idea really...... I chose UV filters cos they are the cheaper version and really all I want is some protection for the front element...... altho it will good to know the difference......

Skylights attenuate green slightly and appear to be pinkish in colour. Generally, they should be priced the same as UV filters.

Hoya HMC is good enough for most purposes, SHMC just costs $10+ more for 77mm.

B+W MRC has an impressive finish and the threads have lesser tendency to stick as they are made of brass rather than aluminium.

vince123123 said:

hello,

i think unless u got super eyes and super sensitive ones at that, then u can tell the difference between photos taken with a UV or a SMC or UV(0) filter.

the main purpose is to block out the UV rays. how much, we don't know. it is claimed that UV(0) blocks out most of it, well, i don't know. but i still pop a UV filter in my lenses because it works mainly as a protection. that's all. just a S$15 UV filter...

maybe someone can do a thorough research on the UV(0) and HMC or SMC... or some other filters of this genre and share with us the findings? ;)

TME said:
Is it?? I have no idea really...... I chose UV filters cos they are the cheaper version and really all I want is some protection for the front element...... altho it will good to know the difference......

hello,

i agree with u totally...

seriously, the technical details are too bothersome. and i'm lazy to find out all these aspects of the humble UV filter.

perhaps someone can fill us all in?

Zerstorer, can explain whats the difference between HMC, SHMC or MRC? are they all UVs or?

Tks!

Zerstorer said:
Skylights attenuate green slightly and appear to be pinkish in colour. Generally, they should be priced the same as UV filters.

Hoya HMC is good enough for most purposes, SHMC just costs $10+ more for 77mm.

B+W MRC has an impressive finish and the threads have lesser tendency to stick as they are made of brass rather than aluminium.

haha i was just there 2 min ago :p u faster than me

MRC appears to be multi resistant coating...

the pple at photo.net appear to think B+W MRC is the best of all.

now the qn is , anyone knows the prices for all of the above?

stk said:
Hoya's explanation on their standard, HMC and SHMC.. :)

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/coatings.html

Yeah a price comparo would be good.....

Thanks! So the price diff isn't that great..... would have bought the SHMC then.......

The difference (in terms of %) is greater for smaller sizes. e.g for 58m UV, $18 for HMC and $24 for SHMC. Think it's >$40 for B+W MRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.