Bracketing Sequence Feature , what is the different ?

biskandar

May 11, 2010
Singapore
www.about.me
Hi friends,

I put another question to ask about feature bracketing sequence inside the camera .

There are two options to select under this feature :
Option 1. Metered Exposed -> Under Exposed -> Over Exposed
Option 2. Under Exposed -> Metered Exposed -> Over Exposed

From my understanding there is no different about these options , because all still goes three steps to meter .

Can you help me to explain why there is a such feature like this one ? and what is the different between those options ?

AFAIK, there is no difference in the image captured. but it's just the filename sequence.

e.g.

Sequence: Metered > Under > Over
File-001 > Metered
File-002 > Under
File-003> Over

Sequence: Under > Metered > Over
File-001 > Under
File-002 > Metered
File-003> Over

It helps when you are sorting images by filename.

Hi friends,

I put another question to ask about feature bracketing sequence inside the camera .

There are two options to select under this feature :
Option 1. Metered Exposed -> Under Exposed -> Over Exposed
Option 2. Under Exposed -> Metered Exposed -> Over Exposed

From my understanding there is no different about these options , because all still goes three steps to meter .

Can you help me to explain why there is a such feature like this one ? and what is the different between those options ?

Just sequencing lor....

From experience usually cameras do option 1 by default and don't allow you to change the sequence. I myself prefer option 2, and it would be nice to have it available so that I can see the exposures in ascending sequence of exposure.

Just personal preference only lor.

mine only does option 1...I would very much prefer option 2....too bad not able to set it.

No difference
It's just the order, choose whichever you prefer.
I personally prefer option 2 as well

i using option 2 coz if u take the same scene with 2 set of AEB (6 exposures), going through the pics will make me confuse. lol

I was using option 2. But switch to option one because I feel the correct composition is a greater criteria for me whether to process the HDR.

i using option 2 coz if u take the same scene with 2 set of AEB (6 exposures), going through the pics will make me confuse. lol

Even on my 3 shot exposure, I already confused. And end up deleting the wrong image...*alamak*, cos I thought is overexposed -.-"'

SkyStrike said:
Even on my 3 shot exposure, I already confused. And end up deleting the wrong image...*alamak*, cos I thought is overexposed -.-"'

Actually if you take just one pic slightly overexposed I.e. Exposed 'to the right' you can adjust the settings in lightroom/software to get more contrast by playing with highlights and shadows. Dunno if you've tried that before. It's not outright HDR but the pics come out more natural. :bsmilie: sometimes HDR can go 'over' quite easily. :bsmilie: :sweat:

For lazy people like me that take 3/6/9 pics and end up using one to edit. :sweatsm:

Cowseye said:
I was using option 2. But switch to option one because I feel the correct composition is a greater criteria for me whether to process the HDR.

Is it more troublesome to manually set option 2 or is option 2 something you'll have to manually trigger after every shot..?

btw, the option 2 I'm refering to is the one listed by TS.

Which option to be used is set in camera menu. Once set, all subsequent bracketed shot will be done in that manner.

Is it more troublesome to manually set option 2 or is option 2 something you'll have to manually trigger after every shot..?

not very troublesome on my d700, but needed reassigning my FUNC button. seriously useless feature, just faster to turn the dial myself. And can decide if i want -3stop but +2stop etc.

you can either physically push the shutter trigger for each bracketing exposure yourself or you can use burst shooting for burst bracket (feature). Not sure if you can cancel it mid way.

Last edited:
Actually if you take just one pic slightly overexposed I.e. Exposed 'to the right' you can adjust the settings in lightroom/software to get more contrast by playing with highlights and shadows. Dunno if you've tried that before. It's not outright HDR but the pics come out more natural. :bsmilie: sometimes HDR can go 'over' quite easily. :bsmilie: :sweat:

For lazy people like me that take 3/6/9 pics and end up using one to edit. :sweatsm:

I know what you mean....I tend to do the same too :(
- my skills to do HDR is bad
- I don't exactly know when to use HDR and when not to (so in fear of losing that moment, I took all).

not very troublesome on my d700, but needed reassigning my FUNC button. seriously useless feature, just faster to turn the dial myself. And can decide if i want -3stop but +2stop etc.

But wouldn't turning the dial "move" your frame alittle? (or is it my gorilla strength that shook the camera while adjusting the dial :sweat:)

But wouldn't turning the dial "move" your frame alittle? (or is it my gorilla strength that shook the camera while adjusting the dial :sweat:)

my tripod is heavy duty, able to support up to large format camera. lol so no, won't affect frame much. i still will be more careful when bracketing is required, no jerks just tender touches. :p

my tripod is heavy duty, able to support up to large format camera. lol so no, won't affect frame much. i still will be more careful when bracketing is required, no jerks just tender touches. :p

Mine is a Sirui + G10 works great for single shots but starts jerking when it fires like a machine gun (burst shots).

SkyStrike said:
Mine is a Sirui + G10 works great for single shots but starts jerking when it fires like a machine gun (burst shots).

Hang ur bag under your sirui tripod hook, it helps a lot

Hang ur bag under your sirui tripod hook, it helps a lot

I also can't be sure that it's the tripod or BH or the lens itself....cos I normally do burst when at the range of 250mm... Anyway, will try it again next time.

SkyStrike said:
I also can't be sure that it's the tripod or BH or the lens itself....cos I normally do burst when at the range of 250mm... Anyway, will try it again next time.

Lol, that advice is good for landscape. Birding is yet another ball game on its own.

Lol, that advice is good for landscape. Birding is yet another ball game on its own.

Not into birding.... (too expensive) but used to be sun chaser.

*I think best not to OT too much...*