Bowling shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunjack

Jul 6, 2002
Zimbabwe
Visit site
This will be my first time shooting in a bowling alley. What are the recommended things I need to bring and what film should I be using? I am planning on bringing a 24-105mm 3.5~4.5 lense , a sigma 500ef flash, fuji 400 film and some spare batteries. thanks.

i don't think it's nice to shoot with flash while they are bowling. maybe u shld take note of that

Hi Gunjack,

Did some bowling shoots before and am only sharing my little experience. Like any other indoor sports events, no flash as far as possible as can cause distraction and also may harm the players performance.

Due to this light conditions, you will generally need good aperture & high ASA for good shutter speed so as to freeze the moment of action. You may also like to consider some motion shots as well.

You may also like to consider a mixture of colour and black and white photos. Generally the light conditions are not good, so some black and white might be fun as it adds a certain mood/effect to the moment.

But this really honestly, I personally feel that this can all be very individual and client based as well.

For my events, I've used the following for both film & digital SLR:
Minimum aperture f2.8 or more
ISO 400-3200, but generally end up using 800-1600

Following are a just a few general samples for reference which i am allowed to release.
(They were all done with ambient light, no flash with various florescent filters to reduce to natural tones.
Film Used : Colour -ISO800 Fuji; Black & White-ISO 1600 & 3200 Delta, Shutter Speeds : 40-80).

Resize_of_4_F1060004.jpg

Resize_of_4_F1060008.jpg

Resize_of_F1000034.jpg

Resize_of_F1000035.jpg

These are just some really normal shots and not really good ones. Hope they can help give you some idea of what may be possible at your event.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Happy shooting!

Cheers!

Dagger

Thanks chelsea and especially to Dagger for the detailed explaination. I was asked to shoot a CC hosted event so I guess it is not that serious if I do use flash, since its not really a competition. The fastest lense I have is a 50mm 1.7 prime. I guess I will use a few shots with that and see how it works. I think its bound to have funny colour casts using indoor ambient light. I do not have any colour-correction filter as I was asked to shoot last minute by a friend the night before. The real question for me is what should I have the eye for in this event, as an eample I may be taking a general view, a closer view and then some closeups, then maybe some parting shorts of the event. For the examples Dagger gave, I think it helps give me a much better idea what to expect. thanks.

Gunjack said:
Thanks chelsea and especially to Dagger for the detailed explaination. I was asked to shoot a CC hosted event so I guess it is not that serious if I do use flash, since its not really a competition. The fastest lense I have is a 50mm 1.7 prime. I guess I will use a few shots with that and see how it works. I think its bound to have funny colour casts using indoor ambient light. I do not have any colour-correction filter as I was asked to shoot last minute by a friend the night before. The real question for me is what should I have the eye for in this event, as an eample I may be taking a general view, a closer view and then some closeups, then maybe some parting shorts of the event. For the examples Dagger gave, I think it helps give me a much better idea what to expect. thanks.

Not at all. Hope you had good fun & enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.