Bowens or Elinchrome ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digi-Learner

Dec 10, 2004
Dear all.

I understand that most studio photographers here in Singapore use either BOWENS or ELINCHROME studio flash units. The remaining uses Hensel, Broncolor, Multiblitz or ProPhoto.

Narrowing down to BOWENS & ELINCHROME, which one is a better investment? Are there any known issues? Any Pros & Cons?

All feedbacks welcomed.

Thanks.
:)

Hi,

Even though i only have 4 elinchrom and 1 bowen, i feel that elinchrom win hands down.. even though slightly higher priced.

My suggestion is, no matter if you use elinchrom or bowen, it helps to stick with 1 brand? that way the accessories can be shared between the devices.. as bowen and elinchrom mountings are totally different.. :)

My 2 cents worth only..

I have a very small studio with teh lights mentioned aboved.. if you are interested, can come down and try it?? (for an hourly rate la :p_

1 more thing i like about elinchrom is thry are lighter! so light that you can even take the light in your hands for quick movement around your subject (model?).

Electronically, i feel that elinchrom is more stable also.. in simple terms, i brought the elinchrom and bowen light at the same time and the bowens already need repairs.. somthing you wouldn't want if you don't have spare lights. :)

Ah Peng 94891590.

Thanks Ah Peng.

It will help if you could mention your flash models.

Bowens: is it Espirit 500?
Elinchrome: 500 Clasics or Style 600.

I ever heard people says that for Elinchrome, its better to get the 600 lights instead of 500 because the 500 series are now made in India and not Swiss. Is it true?

What about output accuracy? Are both brands consistent from "flash" to "flash"? Some flash units varies by 1/2 stop from flash to flash and results can be quite inconsistent.

Ruby Imaging is now selling Hensel and their products also seems quite attractive. One plus point for Hensel is that all units comes with built-in fans. :thumbsup:

Really appreciate your quick feedbacks.

It's not just that there's varience between units, many (no names mentioned here) units have inflated output powers. To test this just take a good flash meter and do some direct output testing.

I've sold up all my Elinchrom units (12 of them) and gone over to Hyundae units as they are frankly better built, more consistant from unit to unit and at least as reliable as the big European brands.

Ian said:
It's not just that there's varience between units, many (no names mentioned here) units have inflated output powers. To test this just take a good flash meter and do some direct output testing.

I've sold up all my Elinchrom units (12 of them) and gone over to Hyundae units as they are frankly better built, more consistant from unit to unit and at least as reliable as the big European brands.
:bigeyes:
wah!

Hyundae units?!?!?!? i've not heard of them here, hmmmmmmm any websites/links to the products specs? if it's good, might just do the switch too :D

cheers

PL

It really up to what you want. Bowen are more relieable and they (Ruby Photo) still fix old unit (20+ years units) like sliver or gold. I have seen Bowen been drop from one man length and still work!! But if you want better colour and constant output then elinchrom is the one for you. But if you have budget then you can even think of Broncolor. I belive you can rent Broncolor units from their agent, there also a lot of CS folks here rent their studio equip with bowen, elinchrom and other brand of studio equipments. So try it youself ;)

plsoong said:
:bigeyes:
wah!

Hyundae units?!?!?!? i've not heard of them here, hmmmmmmm any websites/links to the products specs? if it's good, might just do the switch too :D

cheers

PL

Digi-Learner's posted the link to the site already.

Hyundae's use european flash tubes and the best of Asian electronics design and technology, the result is a flash system that is upon inspection of the electronics considerably better built than just about any other flash heads on the market. The other major advantage is they use Bowens type mounting rings, so you can fit loads of aftermarket accessories to the heads.

If you willing to pay for quality, go for Multiblitz. It's made in Germany and it's very reliable. Imagine 10 photographers shoot continously for a few hours for every studio shoot and the lights still can last for several years. You will know that this brand will not fail you. Stanley from SLCC is the distributer for it. As for the price you can talk to him, he won't treat you like a "robert" and chop you one.

pk2 said:
If you willing to pay for quality, go for Multiblitz. It's made in Germany and it's very reliable. Imagine 10 photographers shoot continously for a few hours for every studio shoot and the lights still can last for several years. You will know that this brand will not fail you. Stanley from SLCC is the distributer for it. As for the price you can talk to him, he won't treat you like a "robert" and chop you one.

Don't mean to piss on your recommendation but frankly I find Hensel ***significantly*** more reasonably priced than Multiblitz, just as rugged, equally slow in recycling with an equally long flash duration, and also made in Germany. You can shoot all day with one over many many years.

A 1000Ws Hensel Contra E mono will likely cost the same or less than the Profilux 400 head (using the price of the Prokit 4NL as a gauge - we need to remember that factory issued kits already shipped discounted). It's built like a tank with a 300W modelling lamp (common to most of the Hensel mono heads)

Not that I think Multiblitz heads are not good mind you.

Hi Ian.

You mean this Korean flash uses Bowens mounting?? Are you saying all Bowens reflectors, softboxed, snoots etc can be recycled and used on these Korean units!!!

Wow! If it's true, this is one of the best news!!! :thumbsup: :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

I emailed the company and asked them who is the agent in Singapore, but NO REPLY so far :dunno:

Do you know who sells this Korean brand in Singapore?

Regards.

Digi-Learner said:
Hi Ian.

You mean this Korean flash uses Bowens mounting?? Are you saying all Bowens reflectors, softboxed, snoots etc can be recycled and used on these Korean units!!!

Wow! If it's true, this is one of the best news!!! :thumbsup: :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

I emailed the company and asked them who is the agent in Singapore, but NO REPLY so far :dunno:

Do you know who sells this Korean brand in Singapore?

Regards.

Yes, the Hyundae's use the standard Bowen's Speedring Fittings, at least the models I have do (Ace Combo 1200WS, Combi 1000, 600). I have no idea who the supplier is in Singapore as I buy through their Australian agent as I'm based in Australia.

Ian said:
Yes, the Hyundae's use the standard Bowen's Speedring Fittings, at least the models I have do (Ace Combo 1200WS, Combi 1000, 600). I have no idea who the supplier is in Singapore as I buy through their Australian agent as I'm based in Australia.

Visit their agent's Oz website here

http://www.dragonimage.com.au/

Anyone bought Jin Bei lighting? Are they good as well? Anyone try using it?:think:

The Oracle said:
Anyone bought Jin Bei lighting? Are they good as well? Anyone try using it?:think:

I've used and seen the Jin Bei strobes ... relatively cheap and not that good as yet, a lot them are sold on eBay etc. I have doubts over the longevity and quality of the charging capacitors and tubes.

I'm using 1, the 600w battery version.
Not bad for starters with audio feedbacks, dim b4 fully charged (sorry not sure of the correct term).

Recharging time seems to be long enough to recompose yourself and
talk to your subject/model b4 the next shot (or just stare blankly at the product
or just waiting for the file to be transfered)

Good if you are on a tight budget,
or just started to learn lights.

However if you want quality built, would rather
you save up more for Bowens or Elinchrome.

What else you would want to know?
I think there are more, just cant think about it now

The Oracle said:

I would agree with Ian on the matter of Hyundae being better than some European/western brands.

In Australia, this cheaper Asian-made brand appears to be gaining popularity, and I have found them to be very consistent -- both colour temperature and brightness. In several 20-minute quickies, I've shot 60-70 frames with absolutely no visible difference from frame to frame. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm using Elinchrome 250 in my Australian work place and the brightness is inconsistent. Since it's the lower end model, I dismiss it as a case of "you pay for what you get". Still, I find this fairly unaccepted coming from a perceptibly better made European product.

From time to time, I get to use Elinchrome 500 in S'pore which appears to be consistent.

My experience with Bowens Esprit is mixed. In Australia, I have used them and observed consistency. In S'pore, I didn't see that with a similar set -- the colour temperature appeared to shift.

kahheng said:
Don't mean to piss on your recommendation but frankly I find Hensel ***significantly*** more reasonably priced than Multiblitz, just as rugged, equally slow in recycling with an equally long flash duration, and also made in Germany. You can shoot all day with one over many many years.

A 1000Ws Hensel Contra E mono will likely cost the same or less than the Profilux 400 head (using the price of the Prokit 4NL as a gauge - we need to remember that factory issued kits already shipped discounted). It's built like a tank with a 300W modelling lamp (common to most of the Hensel mono heads)

Not that I think Multiblitz heads are not good mind you.

Who's the agent for Hensel in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.