Bound for Bali

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcat

Feb 13, 2004
Singapore
www.satisharikkath.com
hello folks,

not sure if this is the right place for this thread - certainly when i return i hope to have pictures to show here.

had planned a 10 day photography trip to bali over the deepavali and hari raya holidays and arranged travel a month or so ago. this was, of course, before the bombings. anyway, long story short, have decided to continue with my trip as planned.

aim is to focus on a few places for more photo-taking - gunung agung and batur, besakih, pura ulun datur bratan and tirttaganga. i have never been to bali before and these are all places that seem to offer good photo opportunities based on my research.

i'd really appreciate hearing from those who have been there and taken photos on potential locations, timings etc. for good photos.

any advise on how to move around bali as well as any additional infor would be useful as well.

i will probably base myself in ubud for a few days at least.

thanks in advance.

Thought you posting your photo ?

There are many "taxi" or "private van" available for rent on Bali, the minute u step out of the airport they will greet u already. Most of them are honest and charge a reasonable rate. U can book them for the whole day and they will drive u around the Bali island for whatever u want to see and shoot.
I would suggest to avoid the touristy sandy beaches as they look the same everywhere as in Malaysia, Thailand, etc.
U can base yourself in Ubud (centre of Bali), and start your day trip from there.

ubud is beautiful, a little pricy, but beautiful!! check out the morning mist in the valley, white water, nature (macro shots), balinese dancers... further north, lanscapes of rice paddies and the volcanoes.

but best thing about ubud, is that it's really a place to just relax!!! :thumbsup:

Go besakih at your own risk. There is a local "gang" there that will ask for "donations" from all visitors. And donations, I mean minimum USD50 per person. You've been warned.

You can hire a local driver (comes with car, petrol, parking all inclusive) for RP300000 per day. He will take you anywhere you want, wait for you, and even explain things about Bali to you. My driver Kadek drives a 6 seater Toyota Kijang with good sound system and air conditioning.

Just plan your trip, find out where you want to go, and tell these to your driver. He will then plan out a good travel plan to bring you to see all these laces. No hassle, totally free and easy.

You can contact Kadek at
IDD +62817552841 (can send him SMS)
Locally (Ph) 0817552841
Or Email - santrika79@yahoo.com

Ubud is well known for its Kekek dances. There is a troupe performing nightly in the town center, it's well worth a trip. The dance is performed with the light from oil lamps only which makes for a very eerie atmosphere. Great to do available light shooting, bring a 70-200/2.8 for portraits of the wonderful costumes and expressions of the dancers.

Go to Uluwatu to see the Kecak dance during sunset! It is located on top of a cliff, BUT if you wear spectacles, be very careful! The monkeys there are dangerous, they will just snatch your specs away!!! Take them off and keep them in your bags (not in pockets as they will also take them out from there!)......

HS

satcat said:
hello folks,

not sure if this is the right place for this thread - certainly when i return i hope to have pictures to show here.

had planned a 10 day photography trip to bali over the deepavali and hari raya holidays and arranged travel a month or so ago. this was, of course, before the bombings. anyway, long story short, have decided to continue with my trip as planned.

aim is to focus on a few places for more photo-taking - gunung agung and batur, besakih, pura ulun datur bratan and tirttaganga. i have never been to bali before and these are all places that seem to offer good photo opportunities based on my research.

i'd really appreciate hearing from those who have been there and taken photos on potential locations, timings etc. for good photos.

any advise on how to move around bali as well as any additional infor would be useful as well.

i will probably base myself in ubud for a few days at least.

thanks in advance.

I have been there and has taken some pictures, you can have a look here :
http://gallery.punggol.org/bali

bluestrike - thanks for moving this thread to the appropriate forum.

astin - yes, i plan on avoiding the beaches, kuta, jimbaran etc. - more so in view of recent events. i will base myself in ubud, at least for part of my stay. thanks for the tip about the torch, that is very useful to know, since a torch is not part of my normal travel kit!

clicknick - thanks for the name, numbers and email. i will check that out. i have also seen reports of the "gangs". dont they also operate around gunung batur? so you really think that this factor is enough to take besakih off the see/photograph list?

terence - yes, i will be carrying my nikkor 70-200mm/2.8:) i presume you are referring to the kecak dances. the low light situation sounds challenging but should hopefully provide some great shots! is the use of flash not permitted at these dances?

hongsien - yes, i wear spectacles so great piece of information about the monkeys:thumbsup: uluwatu is on my list.

aquaboy and lightning - thanks for the links, i will take a look at your photos.

what about the volcanoes? any specific locations for shooting those and times? you know - sunrise, sunset etc. and anyone been to tirttaganga? there is supposed to be a nice walk there. will probably need to stay there for a couple of days, though, i think.

i am really looking forward to this!

You can contact this guy, Ryan, a freelane guide at 08123659453.

Refer by Bryan from Singapore.

blow said:
You can contact this guy, Ryan, a freelane guide at 08123659453.

Refer by Bryan from Singapore.
thanks, blow, i will check him out. is he in ubud and what are his charges like?

one of my favourite place in bali is bedugul. it's a lake on a mountain. others than the view also got a floating temple if not mistaken. and near there they also have something like 'botanical garden' in bedugul. They have a guess room to stay inside wif v cheap rate. N it's just v nice. the weather n everything.

satcat said:
clicknick - thanks for the name, numbers and email. i will check that out. i have also seen reports of the "gangs". dont they also operate around gunung batur? so you really think that this factor is enough to take besakih off the see/photograph list?

You can always ask your driver or any locals when u r there if it's a good idea to go, if they know of a way to bypass the gangs. Another way I heard of is too hire these so called authorised tour guide (more ex than your usual drivers) for a day. Heard b4 that they can also bypass the gangs. I also heard b4 of drivers who knows how to drive the long way to the back of the temple and you can sneak in unnoticed, as all the gangs are waiting at the main entrance for tourists.

BTW, Besakih just happens to be the biggest and most important temple in Bali to the locals, that's all, but structural wise, if u want to take temples, there are many other big temples in Bali and they all look similar.

satcat said:
terence - yes, i will be carrying my nikkor 70-200mm/2.8:) i presume you are referring to the kecak dances. the low light situation sounds challenging but should hopefully provide some great shots! is the use of flash not permitted at these dances?

I don't think you can quite capture the mood of the dance with the use of a flash as it's performed in ambient lighting, and only by the light of a wood fire and oil lamps. I've seen the audience use their flash and the performers don't seem to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.