bouncing flash and reduction in stops


Status
Not open for further replies.

reactan

New Member
Jan 2, 2004
243
0
0
37
Bedok
reactan.instantlogic.com
#1
HI,

everytime i read about bouncing your flash, be it off the ceiling, with a bounce card or with the omnibounce, theres always "loss in stops".

Does this mean that everytime i bounce a flash, i have to adjust the increase the exposure (over that metered by the camera) to get a correctly exposed picture?

Thanks,
Al
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#2
You'll only have to worry about it if you are using a flash in manual control mode. In any of the TTL or automatic modes the flash or camera will take control and ensure correct lighting power is supplied.

One thing to note however, you can loose 2-3 stops when bouncing of ceilings and this greatly reduces the effective range of your flash. Also the bounced light takes on the colour of the material it's bounced off.

Ian
 

reactan

New Member
Jan 2, 2004
243
0
0
37
Bedok
reactan.instantlogic.com
#3
Ian said:
You'll only have to worry about it if you are using a flash in manual control mode. In any of the TTL or automatic modes the flash or camera will take control and ensure correct lighting power is supplied.

One thing to note however, you can loose 2-3 stops when bouncing of ceilings and this greatly reduces the effective range of your flash. Also the bounced light takes on the colour of the material it's bounced off.

Ian
great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?
 

ydanz

New Member
Feb 7, 2003
272
0
0
45
SGP
#4
reactan said:
great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?
My best guess is the flash detects you are bouncing when it is being positioned at an angle other than 90 degress .... correct or not?
 

reactan

New Member
Jan 2, 2004
243
0
0
37
Bedok
reactan.instantlogic.com
#5
ydanz said:
My best guess is the flash detects you are bouncing when it is being positioned at an angle other than 90 degress .... correct or not?

yes, i've thought abt that, but there's still the factor of the distance to the bounce surface.
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#6
reactan said:
great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?
There's no need to know for the camera to know.

TTL mode:
the camera "sees" the reflected flashlight through the lens and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.

Auto mode on the flash:
the sensor on the flash "sees" the reflected flashlight and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.
 

reactan

New Member
Jan 2, 2004
243
0
0
37
Bedok
reactan.instantlogic.com
#7
mpenza said:
There's no need to know for the camera to know.

TTL mode:
the camera "sees" the reflected flashlight through the lens and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.

Auto mode on the flash:
the sensor on the flash "sees" the reflected flashlight and determines when the flash exposure is enough and cut off the output.
ic ic...thanks a lot to all who replied! :thumbsup:
 

clive

Senior Member
Oct 9, 2002
2,537
0
0
Visit site
#8
reactan said:
great ! thanks...but i'm curious, how on earth is the camera going to know if i'm bouncing the flash, and what angle, distance to bouncing surface etc....all these variables add to the loss in flash "power" right?
the answer is here:

Ian said:
You'll only have to worry about it if you are using a flash in manual control mode. In any of the TTL or automatic modes the flash or camera will take control and ensure correct lighting power is supplied.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom